Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

D3 vs X5 .... Does anyone know a good panel beater??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Dilemma!!!

Advice please??

update thus far is that suspension has been fixed Very Happy and no chassis damage (finally after 3 weeks!!!) and car is back at panel beater for minor repairs..

Panel beater rang me yesterday with dilemma.. Does he replace entire quarter panel, which in the D3 extends around and underneath both side doors Shocked Shocked Shocked???
Or does he just do his best to repair the internal panel damage (near where the wheel jack is supported) without cutting any panels?? Rolling Eyes

Visible panel damage is minor as you can see from pics, however the only way to have car repaired back to original condition is to replace the entire section. I doubt (and I think he does too!) that he will be able to refit the new panel section as per factory...

The other option is to cut a section of the new panel and weld into place. He suggested across the rear door seal and half way up the rear window C pillar???

Anyone experience similar prob???
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #14463530th Mar 2007 10:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

My 2 cents.

If the panel can be repaired without cutting or replacement go with that option.

I reckon it is going to be better than having panels cut out and welded back in which is pretty extreme stuff but this depends on how well the orignial panel can be restored to being straight.

Man I hope never to go through this saga.

Best of luck.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #14464630th Mar 2007 11:26 pm
mobyone

Still off the road .....

Saw my Car this morning. Will be 8 weeks tomorrow! Panel beater has finished with primer and reckons paint will be done by weekend. Should have back on road by Tuesday ... Very Happy
I'm glad I made the decision to avoid cutting any panels.
Click image to enlarge

On a sour note however, panel beater who is the Land Rover approved repairer, suggested that this model has been designed with a budegt in mind and is not the easiest/cheapest vehicle to repair! So far costs have topped $16,000 for panel damage and suspension. Shocked
I suppose insurance premiums will start to go up the more of these end up in panel shops Question
On a positive note however, I am happy with work done by these guys so far ... I'll reserve judgement for when it comes out of the oven and has been polished.

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II

Post #14963719th Apr 2007 12:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Wow.... that's a long time in the shop. I would hope that body \ structure repair costs are secondary in the minds of the designers ...safety, strength and durability should be the primary concern Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #14963819th Apr 2007 12:10 am
White Disco

Australia 

DG wrote:
. I would hope that body \ structure repair costs are secondary in the minds of the designers ...safety, strength and durability should be the primary concern Wink

Bow down Bow down Bow down

Mobyone this is taking longer than anything Cecil B. D'Milne could do.
Hope everything turns out alright. Thumbs Up
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #14964419th Apr 2007 1:00 am
mobyone

DG wrote:
Wow.... that's a long time in the shop. I would hope that body \ structure repair costs are secondary in the minds of the designers ...safety, strength and durability should be the primary concern Wink

I have it on good authority that its far cheaper hence easier to produce a large panel on a vehicle (ie the side of the D3 is one piece) than to have sections bolted or welded together. There is little if any safety benefits with either construction on a vehicle of this dimension. That's the main problem here. A little more damage and I would have had to replace the entire panel which extends to the front quarter (above and below both side doors). Apparently I;ve been lucky that it was only a light bingle. Big Cry

Majority of the time was taken repairing the suspension. panel beater has had it officially for 2 weeks.
cheers

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II

Post #14974419th Apr 2007 11:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >