DISCO3.CO.UK > General

D3's are they worth it? - about to buy a 4x4 - help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
dc-99

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
D3's are they worth it? - about to buy a 4x4 - help

Hi,
I'm a newbe poster to this group, so please bear with me.
I know this question may have been asked before, but I am looking for feed back on a number of questions.

I am seriously considering purchasing a (commercial version) Discovery 3 TDV6 diesel.
This would not only be my first LR, but also my first 4x4 (politically correct way of describing it? Smile ).

I have a couple of options in my price bracket the Toyota Land crusier (old model now - not high on my list). The VW Toureg and thern the LR D3.

I hope to get auto gearbox on the vehicle I get.

Questions-

LR Discos seem to suffer from a poor reliability issue -has this been 'fixed' in the D3? in other words am I going to have niggly little (or worsre - big) problems cropping up if I get one?
Am I right in going for the auto gear box (value for money and resale values) - I am doing a lot of driving.
If I go for the LR D3 I was going to get the air suspension - mainly for the ride quality on road. Is the air Sus worhth it (again resale value)
Is it realistic to achieve over 25 mpg for the TDV6 / Air Sus (does Air Sus affect mpg?) coupled with the auto box? Mostly good main roads, not so much motorway driving.

I don't particularly need to go off road except possible on construction site visits (the usual site roads can be 'off road' if you know what I mean). Although I would actually consider 'learning to off road it' considering I would have the 4x4.

Please don't say go and buy a nice comfortable car as I would be getting this 4x4 for tax reasons etc.

Any thing else I should be looking for in the D3? remembering that I can't afford much more than the basic / air sus / auto box - would wish for cruise control - but this may not be available on the stock available - can CC be fitted by the garage by the way - not an after market one, I mean the real LR D3 one (My peugeot 407 sw was readily able to take the peugeot CC - software and wiring already fitted - just needed the stauk control fitted and the cpu 'switched on' for it.

Any help would be greatfully appriciated.

Regards,

PS The LR D3 is top of my list at the mom for looks and ride quality ets - its just reliability issues I need to feel solid on.

Thanx

Post #771059th Aug 2006 8:09 pm
Ken

Answers are really simple Yes Auto Yes Air YES D3 try and get Xenons if you can

The cars great it really is as simple as that

Post #771089th Aug 2006 8:14 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

yes you will not regret it go for it
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #771109th Aug 2006 8:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

I have and early D3 done loads of miles had a few problems all got sorted, I would say go for it. Wink and welcome.
PS
Do a bit of digging and go for a dealer that knows their stuff so if you do have a problem it can get sorted quick like Wink
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #771119th Aug 2006 8:18 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

BTW do you like icecream and flakes Shocked
Post #771149th Aug 2006 8:23 pm
dc-99

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Do actually like flakes in ice cream 8)

God I should proof read my posts bear = bare, Mom = Mo (as in moment). etc.

Don't think I could go for xenon lights standard ones are ok though right?

Don't even know If I'll have a decent colour select on colours - unless I wait for a special order one (would be like buying a VW all over again - 3 month waiting list here in IRL).

Do fancy the leather seats though (always have - picture Homer drooling - thats me) never had the nerve to get leather. Might just do it this time (they do a commercial dealer fit here in IRL for the front row - just over 1300eureos. might, just might, this time .

Oh yes the LR seat covers (if I don't go for leather) are thay comfortable - ie. do they tend to 'sweat' if you sit in them a long time? (200euros for the two front seats covers) worth it?

(Still haven't proof read my post so there are possible sp err's

Regards

Post #771199th Aug 2006 8:34 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

I have cream leather and have never covered them. I am covered in sh*te most of the time. So the seats get a good work out. However when I do get round to cleaning the seats they come up beautiful. You will find the D3 interior very robust along with the paint work.
Post #771219th Aug 2006 8:41 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

you may well have niggling issues, but I would say if you go for a less spec'd one without at nav and all the bells and whistles then you may find you have less issues.

MPG - mine has an issue with mpg being lower than norm that is yet to be resolved, however even I get 24.5 with 27-32 seeming to be the average (especially if you have it 'chipped')

leather - definitely given some strapon seatcovers = 15% of the cost of the upgraded seats anyway.
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #771229th Aug 2006 8:46 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

on the other side... you may well NOT have any niggling issues, whichever spec level you go for - or any major issues either Shocked
most of the Disco3 owners on here don't have any problems - many just have questions wanting to know more about the underlying technology (and it's quirks) that forms part of their investment

I'd agree with AndrewS - the seats & paintwork will take a good amount of punishment before permanent marks are evident Whistle

Post #771699th Aug 2006 10:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gazavich

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

In English and to sum it all up get yer finger out and go for it Laughing 8)
 HSE TDV6 Silver : "Avin it large"

www.lift-trucksolutions.co.uk 

Post #771759th Aug 2006 11:04 pm
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

What a wonderful approach to the Land Rover world of premium off road vehicles. Your questions are great.

One thing, above perhaps all other factors, is that when you buy a Land Rover, it comes with a community. There are many forums such as this, with very active members, there are frequent gatherings and events celebrating the Land Rover lifestyle and capabilities, and there is a feeling of a certain form of “poise” bestowed upon Land Rover owners who understand and know what their vehicles are capable of.

I recently (6 months ago), went through an exhaustive car selection process, testing and considering over 40 different vehicles, from powerful compact sedans, to Chevy Corvette sports cars, to Volvo wagons, to Toyota pick-up trucks, and nearly everything in between.

Prior to testing all these vehicles, I already knew what I wanted (Range Rover Sport), but it was considerably outside my budget. Thus my long and exhaustive search. I wanted a vehicle that would make an excellent daily driver, provide a degree of sophistication to go along with my career (Architect). It needed to be “enthusiastic” to drive, and it needed to be able to support my hobbies; one of which is flying RC Sailplanes from remote places. That’s where the 4x4 factor came in. It also needed to be simple to own. I did not want a large truck that is cumbersome to drive, to park, etc….

An SUV or sports wagon was a natural selection, but I could not find one that met my critera. I very nearly gave up and almost bought the no frills Toyota truck, when I finally considered the LR3. I had previously eschewed them because I thought they were ugly. But DAMM! This car drove well, was compact on the outside (easy to maneuver), enormous on the inside (plenty of room for anything), drives with a sense of enthusiasm and adventure pulsing through the steering wheel, and is refined and sophisticated enough to take any client along with when we visit project sites.

I have always enjoyed light off roading in previous SUV’s I have owned, but it was not a motivator at the time of purchase. Now however, I have rediscovered that which I so loved as a youth. Since owning a Land Rover, I have spent significantly more time outdoors exploring the areas around me…because I can! My Land Rover will take me there!

I gave consideration to the Toureg, but I found the cost and value ratio to be obserd. You needed to buy the most expensive fully loaded version in order to have the most capable 4x4 version. That is just silly. It’s like buying a $90,000 Range Rover for rock crawling!

The Toureg didn’t even have power seats! I just could not reconcile all the things the Toureg did NOT have, and it’s cramped interior contours. It looks nice, but it’s only skin deep.

As for reliability. That is not Land Rover’s strength. There is no way around that. Mechanically, the LR3 has been excellent, but there are some bugs that are being worked out in the pervasive software. Most of them are fixed now. The good news is that even an earlier model can be “patched” and brought up to the most current build level just by plugging it in at the dealer. That’s kinda cool! However, it is not the kind of car where you forget where your dealer is (like a Toyota). You will know all the staff at your dealer before too long. The nice thing is, you always get a loaner or a rental, and the warranty from LR is quite comprehensive.

It’s important to note that despite these niggling software or service issues, the owners of Land Rovers still love Land Rovers. There is a reason for that. The cars are superlative.

I HIGHLY recommend you ask to be placed on your local dealers invite list to their next off road event. Take one of their cars out and go play with it! Driving on pavement is fine and good, but the real magic happens once you go off road and push your comfort zones. The vehicles are so much more capable that most drivers, it’s amazing what you can accomplish in them.

Then, request a LR3/D3 for a few hours and go help a friend move their house or apartment. The utility of the rear liftgate and storage area is just astounding. It’s perfect. The car is not the most exciting on the outside, but it is never boring to own.

Post #771859th Aug 2006 11:28 pm
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

nw
good reply

the D3 is a fantastic vehicle, i havent had any issues with mine but its the base model

make sure you get air suspension Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Post #771929th Aug 2006 11:52 pm
BarryG

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi DC-99

I was just like you 3 months ago in the same situation and also looking for the same 4X4 and also had the same questions. I now drive a commercial TDV6 S+ spec
(with the air suspension) I went for the manual as i never liked auto box's anyway.

Just my views on the questions you asked.

Air suspension ... A must have in my view , I think if my memory server me correctly is a 1500 euro option and your going get the VAT back anyways , at the time my dealer told me that it would stand to me when it came to trade in time , once again I questioned this as just being a sales man's ploy to get more money out of me. but after posting in this and other forums I found that he was telling the truth.

I went for this option based on this , but really the quality of ride is amazing and is in a different league to the other makes you have suggested, I back my remarks after having a 00 Isuzu trooper , a 02 land cruiser and a 04 Nissan Navara

you can see from my past line up that I was very much a "jap" person , reliability
and so on and I was like you a bit put off by some of the stories I had heard about landrover

I wasn't like some of the die hard "landrover heads" you might come across in that
I didn't have any loyalty to the brand and based my decision to purchase after reviewing all the sites and press and talking to owners, you might find it interesting to know that I have come across more "bad comments" about the VW than I did the D3

As far as MPG , My driving patterns would be very similar to the one you have mentioned good main roads (if you can call any road in Ireland good but I know what you mean) . I get 24-26mpg avg. .. I drove it like a girl for a week and I got it up to 28mpg.. so what was the point . 25mpg is fair enough for its size
and to be honest my Nissan was more a less the same, what will put the Censored up you though will be when you fill it you and you get enough change back out a 100Euro to buy a mars bar (not enough for the big one just the regular one)

I guess to sum up , I have no reservation what so ever about buying this 4x4
and would do so again in the morning, I do wish it had more low end power
this really is my only crib...But im working on that

I'm in Limerick and you more than welcome to come up at any time and have a go (proper test drive), it is a manual as mentioned and I know your looking at the auto be it will give you some idea.

Best regards,

Barry
PS : I do proof read my post and still come out crap ... 8)

Post #7720210th Aug 2006 1:32 am
LHD

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I've had a HSE for 4 weeks now; 2600km done and the only bug I've found (bar the suicidal ones on the front of the car) is the blinds on the moonroof snap open whilst driving.

Fuel use: 9.8 litres / 100km so nearly 29 to the gallon.

The lights that change direction are excellent as is the nav system with TMC Smile
 Discovery 3 Manual as PDF | Blackvue 500 | BAS Remap | Mates did South America in a Landie

Post #7722310th Aug 2006 9:44 am
oliver77

Wales 

Hi Barry,

It's a Discovery 3 so it will have faults! If you can live with them and it's the car for you, go for it.

Post #7722610th Aug 2006 9:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >