Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

D4 MY 13 spare wheel winch cluster :censored:
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4
D4 MY 13 spare wheel winch cluster :censored:

Least any other D4 owner be left in the same predicament, you may wish to learn from my experience.

8 month old D4; flat tyre; drop the spare to change it using the unbelievably crappie hook and eye system that replaced the good old socket system on previous cars. The upshot was that the utterly rubbish hooked bar that joins the wheel brace rounded off leaving me unable to properly raise the spare wheel. It also left me - for a while at least - unable to disconnect the wheel brace from the hooked metal rod, given that it had rounded off and managed to become stuck in the hole on the wheel brace. In the end, and with a good hammering using the scissor jack, I managed to disconnect the brace.

Anyway, be warned: the new (not improved) system can leave you in a real fix by the side of the road.

Heaven knows why LR messed with the bolt head system. My car is not a yet one year old, has never had it's spare lowered, and failed on the first attempt at raising it. Well done the technical whizzes at Gaydon. Bow down Will be writing to LR tomorrow asking for a replacement wheel changing kit.
 PAGODA  
Post #126900613th Apr 2014 12:20 am
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

TBH I don't see the problem. I had to use both winches on mine and Alis' cars, both with the new hook and eye system to fit a couple of Uncle Rays wheel protectors. I had no problems with either personally and, as I'm sure you know, I have restricted mobility and hand function. If the system works fine for me with my limitations, could this possibly be something else fella? Whistle Rolling with laughter
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #126982214th Apr 2014 7:22 pm
phl

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

The system is not ideal, but I've changed tyres in the middle of a track in the Vic High Country, as well as a normal road surface, and although not brilliant (with a loaded load area), it has worked.

An electric system would be nice though...

Post #127110617th Apr 2014 3:40 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Can the crappy new winch simply be replaced by the old style d4 hex head winch? Question

Post #127111117th Apr 2014 6:28 am
DiscoJake

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

phl wrote:

An electric system would be nice though...

Amen

At the price of the vehicle it should be electric in my opinion

Post #127111517th Apr 2014 7:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WillyEckerslike

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

With the price of the vehicle, there should be a blow up butler in the glove box who leaps out and fixes your flat tyre for you!

Post #127126517th Apr 2014 1:54 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I can see the complaints at an electric one on here...especially when it fails Rolling with laughter
 Mike  
Post #127133117th Apr 2014 4:54 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

steveraspberry wrote:
TBH I don't see the problem. I had to use both winches on mine and Alis' cars, both with the new hook and eye system to fit a couple of Uncle Rays wheel protectors. I had no problems with either personally and, as I'm sure you know, I have restricted mobility and hand function. If the system works fine for me with my limitations, could this possibly be something else fella? Whistle Rolling with laughter

SteveR and anyone else who's interested in trying to get LR to stop rodding us off with shoddy kit on an expensive car:

I am delighted for you that the tools provided with your car haven't failed. But to be perfectly clear, given that some learn harder than others, the rod with the slightly flattened/oval bit (don't know the correct term) that fits into the off-round (I'll keep making up phrases) shape on the wheel brace rounded off when winching up the wheel; ie, the wheel brace turned 90 degrees out of it's properly seated position, whilst the hooked rod didn't move. A cursory glance at the tool set will show even those with no idea of the principles of tools and tooling (like me) how this could easily happen. It is very mild steel, it seems. In my case, "it" happened before the ratchet clicked. So, I had an almost properly seated wheel, and a rounded off hooked bar stuck in my wheel brace that was a Censored to remove. It's not hard to grasp the concept of how this could happen, Steve. It could not possibly happen on the last - and far better - design. My point is - very simply now - that the new design has a very clear flaw. I can assure all concerned that I was not using the tools for anything other than their intended purpose.

The good news, surprising only to a few it seems, is that LR happily gave me a new set of equally crappy tools, commenting that it isn't the first time it's happened.

Apparently they're looking at the design. Rolling with laughter

I bet they are. The old one was perfect. I wouldn't want an electric one. Ever.

Anyway, so what? Just be aware it can happen when ratcheting up the wheel. Even when done properly! Rolling Eyes
 PAGODA  
Post #127135817th Apr 2014 5:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >