Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

D4 Should I ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

D5 depreciation is pretty high apparently.

Post #201004617th Dec 2018 2:07 pm
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Nothing new there then. Thumbs Up

Post #201005917th Dec 2018 2:28 pm
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hmmmmm, food for thought...

The hassle involved in rejecting a vehicle is a chore... No one wants to take responsibilty and i'm being blamed for driving the vehicle wrong, it's got to go in again for more checks to determine the issue as Oil Dilution is apparently a Myth ?

I've seen a few D4's that fit the Bill. Phoned up about one this morning, was told in NO uncertain terms that there wasn't any way that the price could be reduced not even by a fiver ! the price was fixed and that Land Rover did not allow for any kind of discount , AND that right there sealed their fate......

I told the lad, i'd never paid full list for a vehicle, and that whilst i admired his standpoint on the company policy, getting some one to drop that kind of Money on a car a week before Xmas was more luck than judgement.

half way through his speal about 136 point checks and compeptive finance @12.9% i couldn't shut him up so i ended the call.
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #201007117th Dec 2018 3:04 pm
Pelyma

England 

What do you use the car for? Do you need\use ultimate 4x4 ability? Do you tow? Do you need 7 seats? How many miles do you do?

If you made the leap from D3 to D5 then I don't see what has changed to decide on a 4. Mine was very reliable, but the dealers were crap. I went to Porsche, it doesn't have the ultimate 4x4 ability but is surprisingly capable, tows 3.5t, is 10-15% more economical that the D4, does 0-60 in 5.2s, sticks to the road like glue and dealerships phone you back, as well as having much more cabin space and the 4.2V8 diesel makes a very 8) sound.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #201010717th Dec 2018 5:07 pm
SafariDave

United States 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Get a V8 D3 if you can find one.
Dave
 D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey "The Rhino" (our NYC D3)
De-tangoed Headlights, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille, D4 19" Wheels/ Bridgestone Alenza
D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille (our LA D3)
D2 1999 V8 SD7 Chawton White (our Caribbean Beach truck) 

Post #201013417th Dec 2018 6:17 pm
Oswiperus
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I run a D3 and D4, Had the D3 for nearly 10 years (13 years old) and still love it. The D4 bought last march is a 2014 commercial with 120000 miles on the clock and i really like it, the extra power and 8 speed box are lovely. Yes the 3&4 are similar vehicles yet seem very different i feel. I had a 2016 HSE Lux for 12 months that i sold at two years old with 17000 miles on the clock and the commercial drives just as nicely even with pretty high mileage.
 Stu

2016 D4 Landmark current
2022 Defender D300 SE Gone Sad
D4 2014 XS Commercial - Gone Sad
D4 2016 hse lux montalcino red - Gone
D3 2005 se java black - current
D3 2005 base manual - gone Sad
D2 1999 TD5 E white - current 

Post #201022617th Dec 2018 9:13 pm
chalky

I need the car for general pootling about, General Service vehicle, Camping, shopping, walking, shooting, biking, to and from work as well as Rugby with my Son on a weekend,

I dont need the car to be fast, i need a plodder, i dont need to tow horses or caravans, My D3 was just so good that i didnt feel the need for a D4, i didn't really feel the need for a D5 until i sat in one and then drove one....

The top and bottom of it is that i've got a car that's not been driven since 24th March...... the earliest they can get me in for a loaner is 28th January........ so i've got a vehicle sat on my drive that i can't use because it's over it's service miles...... The theory is if i get something out of warranty any one can fix it like they did my D3, being reliant upon the dealer not phoning JLR customer care for nearly 3 weeks, then the service desk not ringing back and all the other rubbish surrounding the issue makes the whole debacle an absolute joke.
Post #201274626th Dec 2018 9:37 pm
MrBrain

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I looked at a D5, and a DS.... I considered a D4.... But I the end I went for a G4 D3 V8 which cost a packet! I couldn't live with any of the others, too many scare stories. With the money I saved I can buy fuel and do plenty of servicing. I have a beautiful car that I just love to bits. I do have to maintain it, but I love doing that too.

I have no warranty, no service restrictions and no real fears. Best of all I don't have to deal with the Censored awful Censored that are jlr and it's network of Censored wit dealers peddiing sub standard Censored covered in glitter.

Post #201275326th Dec 2018 10:04 pm
chalky

Basically that ^ right there, my 57 plate D3 wanted for nothing, Preventative maintenance was the order of the day and spending money on a car that’s paid for that doesn’t have to go into the dealers for them to not fix correctly !

I added plenty of upgrades to my D3, V8 brakes, RRS front and rear suspension gubbins, wheels, tyres, Xenons, spots, snorkel, re map, de cat, all sorts of usual stuff that is common place on this forum, it ran perfectly for 7 years, this thing won’t even run for more than 2 - 3K without a service, I wouldn’t mind, but my pampered D3,had it’s oil dropped every 5K without fail !
Post #201276826th Dec 2018 11:28 pm
Bazza.

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

MrBrain wrote:
I looked at a D5, and a DS.... I considered a D4.... But I the end I went for a G4 D3 V8 which cost a packet! I couldn't live with any of the others, too many scare stories. With the money I saved I can buy fuel and do plenty of servicing. I have a beautiful car that I just love to bits. I do have to maintain it, but I love doing that too.

I have no warranty, no service restrictions and no real fears. Best of all I don't have to deal with the Censored awful Censored that are jlr and it's network of Censored wit dealers peddiing sub standard Censored covered in glitter.

This did make me laugh. It's incredible just how bad the LRJ service network is, I thought I'd found myself a decent indy but alas no. Still looking.
 Disco 4 2012  
Post #201367930th Dec 2018 12:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >