Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

D4 2015 two turbos replaced in 12 months
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
sasdiscos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

The whole turbo wind down thing is crap! Yes i agree it can shorten turbo life but not under normal use. I have had many turbo cars, petrol diesel etc and thrashing it is not an excuse for premature turbo failure.

The argument about stop start is in its self a proof of this. If the guys done 100k in between the turbos going and thrashed the hell out of it then yes, maybe, but a turbo should take what you throw at it for a very reasonable amount of time, looked after or not.

There would have been an underlying problem to cause this.

Example, My work vans have always been turbo diesel, yes not a v6 but still a turbo diesel, I don't show them any special treatment from cold, and don't wait to turn them off, stop start does that any way. 150k later they are still running.

All the vans on the fleet are the same, treated the same, if not worse by blokes that don't care for there company car/van, still running at 100k, never had a turbo fail, gear boxes, yes, alternators yes, engines, yes, but believe it or not.......not one turbo failure.

Make of this what you will, Im just saying.

Steve
 You remind me of a younger me, not much younger mind...perhaps even a little older!  
Post #196498018th Jul 2018 9:17 pm
Dan_NL

lynalldiscovery wrote:
ROY_H wrote:
I've been told that the engine used on the stop/start models has an electric oil-pump to avoid these problems. Anyone know if this is true ?
I would say an internet myth

I don't think its the reason, but many cars now have electric oilpumps and waterpumps to make the controls more versatile. Instead of waste gates you just rev the pumps down.

Post #196498718th Jul 2018 9:27 pm
Dan_NL

sasdiscos wrote:
All the vans on the fleet are the same, treated the same, if not worse by blokes that don't care for there company car/van, still running at 100k, never had a turbo fail, gear boxes, yes, alternators yes, engines, yes, but believe it or not.......not one turbo failure. Make of this what you will, Im just saying. Steve

Its not the stop/start only. Its many very short trips, never heating the engine up, what never happens with vans as they tend to be out all day,
driven in between jobs every hour, never cooling down..

This is why I fitted a DEFA electrical engine heater in my D3 in 2010, driving 2km to the village and back to take the kids to school over uncleaned roads covered in snow,
4 times a day with 3 hours interval to cool down. They don't stay at school for lunch here.
Engine humms like a bee, smooth as silk, after 200k miles.. Original engine, autobox and turbo and injectors... Whistle

The mechanics say its the smoothests running and gear-changing car in their client group, with cars from 2000-2016...
Newer cars are too much different in techniques.

Post #196499118th Jul 2018 9:33 pm
cornishboy

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Just to put some meat on this topic. I have been informed that it is the near side turbo that requires replacement again. I will get the code but it was something like Po266?? They say it works fine at low and high revs but there is a fault at mid revs. I will get more detail. They are replacing this for the second time and will carry out an autopsy. Again they mentioned MAF EGR and some other value that was ‘out’.
Again I will get more detail.
Also interestingly the LR tech says it has two turbos one for each side and not a primary and secondary. I did not contradict him but will check on this.
Interesting as I have had 3 D3/4’s and probably done 400k in them with no turbo replacement and he has had two in 12 months....

I will endeavour to get more info.

Post #196567621st Jul 2018 9:00 am
Dan1720v

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Aintree GreenDiscovery 3

Check the vacuum pipes across the top and the front of the engine. They swell over time and don’t seal correctly. These are here to provide positive pressure in the system regardless of the boost pressure. If they fail (I replaced a set yesterday because if this) they allow oil to pass the seals on the turbos.

Post #196568321st Jul 2018 9:55 am
Dan_NL

cornishboy wrote:
Interesting as I have had 3 D3/4’s and probably done 400k in them with no turbo replacement and he has had two in 12 months.... .

The blessing of computor modelling and IA-engineering... Models are no more than a rough scetch of reallity in low-res.
As you use them as the only designtool, you build in the missing details of that very same model. Hence ; bound to fail...

Old school engineering was all about calculating stuff across many plains and in both directions, just to check if you made a mistake.
Then the designer put in a safety margin. And the supervisor put in a safety margin. At the end the safety might have been 150%...

The IA does not do that. It only uses 3-5% margin and that does not cover the shorts of the model.

I think one could argue they are designed to fail... 8)

Post #196568821st Jul 2018 10:06 am
B16 KJR

Scotland 

D4mation wrote:
Whenever we pull in for a break when towing the tintent, after a minute SWMBO asks me why the motor is still running. I do tell her the reason but she always forgets, or doesn't really understand.

I ain't got stop/start but does a Discovery not disable it when it detects a trailer plugged in ?

No it doesn't disable it, I wish it did, there's nothing worse than pulling up to a junction with the caravan in tow waiting for a gap in the traffic and the engine decides to stop Evil or Very Mad Pat from GAP was working on a solution to turn it 'OFF' by default without the warning light coming on the instrument cluster but I don't know how far he's gotten with it ?

Post #19711806th Aug 2018 12:44 pm
Bazza.

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

There's only one reason why the same part fails early twice. It's because the fault was not fully diagnosed and corrected.

In what way has the turbo failed? if it's blue smoke then it's probably not the turbo at all as I quickly found out about my own. If it's a mechanical fail then you're likely looking at poor lubrication or cooling.

Need to know the full set of symptoms on both occasions really.
 Disco 4 2012  
Post #19723079th Aug 2018 1:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >