Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

D4 - “Preventive” Maintenance - Oil Pump
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
D4 - “Preventive” Maintenance - Oil Pump

My friends think I’m obsessive about maintenance of my cars, but not about polishing them!

As a result of COVID-19 I only did 5k miles in the last year, whne I usually expect to do 10-12k per annum. Realistically looking forward I anticipate probably doing less than 8k miles per annum hereafter. My March 2016 Landmark is on 47k miles & my game plan has always been to run it until c. 90k miles , which I anticipated would be when the D4 is about 8 years old.

Clearly things have changed I I now need to revise my game plan. I’m inclined to run the D4 until at least 2025 and reconsider then.

The issues which I am now considering are :-

1. Transmission oil change - already booked for November this year with Bodsy

2. March 2023 when the car is 7 years old and I will need to replace the front and rear camshaft timing belts, tensioners and tensioner bolts. I’m also considering replacing the oil pump at this time. It can’t do any harm & seems like an “insurance” expense to me.

Is there any other “preventive” maintenance I should consider?

To date I have changed the oil & filter every 6 months, but covering fewer miles per annum I am inclined to do it every 12 months.

NJSS

Post #225105713th Sep 2021 11:23 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

NJSS….With your current mileage P/A , an oil + filter change once is absolutely enough. I think the oil pump change is not necessary if you only intend to keep the car until circa 90k miles ( in another 4 yrs, it might only reach 79k in fact).Do you really want to over maintain it for the next owner ?….. I changed mine at 71k miles, but it was a D3 original pump with the inherent possibility of fracturing, and impending doom for the engine Shocked That was my main concern for changing it then. Your D4 pump does not have that problem. I seriously don’t think the ability of your pump to produce a good oil pressure at that mileage would be compromised. Another thing is that disturbing the oil pump can introduce oil leaks, that you didn’t have previously, and require re doing the job to rectify……in particular the front crankshaft seal. I was fortunate that mine didn’t leak after I did this procedure………Just my view of course Nigel.
One preventive ( but messy) job I consider worthwhile, is employing the Butler Laughing
to coat the steel brake pipes underneath the car, with grease, as many corrode and fail, particularly the rear areas approaching and above the rear diff. I did this when D3 was approx 5yrs old, and hasn’t needed metal brake pipes yet (at 15 1/2 yrs old, and 93k miles). Looking at mine underneath, the lower fuel tank cradle is looking pretty corroded, and with hindsight, I do wish that I had protected this many moons ago. Thumbs Up
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #225106713th Sep 2021 11:57 am
NJS5

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Many thanks.

Please forgive the long delayed reply, a product of old age, I'm in my 80th year, and family health issues.

I'm sure you are right. Bodsy changed all the transmission fluids for me, gearbox & both axles.

I'll take your advice & not change the oil pump. Depending on how fit I feel, and the weather during this summer I'll also look at preserving the brake pipes, tank cradle & anything else underneath which looks as if it will benefit.

Thanks again

Nigel

Post #22901213rd May 2022 2:13 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up …….I should add, that just after my D3’s 16th birthday (Nov2021), it developed a hole in a rear brake pipe, where it had in fact corroded at a clipping point above the rear diff. Brought on by having to apply the brakes extremely hard, when an inconsiderate woman pulled out of a side road and stopped right in front of me Shocked …. OK, it did me a favour, and flagged up this weakness, and I fixed it straight away, by replacing the rear half of the brake pipes in cunifer. So I did not, in fact, get to do the ‘preventive’ coating them in grease, early enough, at 5 yrs old Laughing
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #22901243rd May 2022 4:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >