Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

D4 crank failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 12 of 14 <123 ... 11 121314>
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

LR will know of some, but not all failures as cars will be repaired outside of the LR network. Getting numbers will be difficult. However, with the new D5 coming out using the same engine, LR will be very concious of any spanners upsetting their launch by casting doubts on the engine.

A good media campagin hi-lighting the issue and LR's different response with different markets would certainly get their attention. Add into this the oil pump and a few other odds and sods and LR could have a bigger issue on their hands. If all those on here also reported it to the relvant State bodies and a pattern emerged then that would also add weight. Unless its recorded and numbers are generated, bleating on here will not help.

Also, LR don't help themselves by making the cost of repair disproportinate to the vehicle value so many good vehicles just get scrapped.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #175300723rd Dec 2016 3:00 pm
SafariDave

United States 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

This reminds me of the D2 2003-4 V8 models with failing oil pumps or sliding piston sleeve era. The slipping sleeves syndrome tend to happen to at least 40% of all D2 that overheat. Bad built V8 blocks with pourus issues. That go bang. But all have head gasket issues by 60 to 70k. And let's not bring up the P38 V8 4.6.
Dave
 D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey "The Rhino" (our NYC D3)
De-tangoed Headlights, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille, D4 19" Wheels/ Bridgestone Alenza
D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille (our LA D3)
D2 1999 V8 SD7 Chawton White (our Caribbean Beach truck) 

Post #175301023rd Dec 2016 3:06 pm
Deanos_Beano

England 

DG wrote:
marian wrote:
DG, I do not know the real extent of the problem.
But it's not small. So I believe there's a problem..

Despite what others take out of context ...I know there is a crank problem. Rolling Eyes

The numbers game determines whether its a big or small problem .....sales v failures. If peeeps are able to offer evidence in SA, UK, Russia, CZ or where-ever that there are X number of T\SDV6 Discos and X number have had a crank failure and the %age was say 5, 10, 15% ..then I would roll over and expose my belly in submission and beg forgiveness for my idiocy. Very Happy

As it stands no one can supply figures which back that up. What we do have are independent figures that indicate the numbers are within range of what any manufacturer would consider normal.

Give me the darn figures ....sales v failures Very Happy

If you "know there is a problem " , whyvare you so adamant there is no concern and vehemently defending LR at the present official percentage at 2013 of 1.3 percent where a crankshaft is at fault ? ! I dont get it , ?

I totally understand your not wanting people stating 15 % , thats a valid defence but I fjnd it incredulous that your defending the current official figures as Acceptable losses for a single point of failure ? I just dont see that as a selfless stance to be honest

Post #175301723rd Dec 2016 3:19 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

What is there not to get? Confused There is a known problem... I have never said anywhere that there isn't... LR have acknowledged similar... there is the known failure rate of engines provided by independent sources.

If Ford\LR know that there was an identified production failure point in the crank that applied to all vehicles ever sold then that would significant grounds for a recall, however it's clear that the failures are completely sporadic.It's not about defending LR ...it's just those are the facts as we know it.

I think what we all agree on is that LR should really be looking after those affected in a far more meaningful manner.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #175303823rd Dec 2016 3:58 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:
I'm not sure if this is a feasible recall event? To redesign and replace the engine in every 3.0 application would be a very big job, maybe impossible.

However, to deal with the failures in a more compassionate way, and moving forward ensure that there are enough affordable available spares to allow the aftermarket to repair older vehicles is the way to keep customers on side as much as possible?

This Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #175303923rd Dec 2016 4:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Deanos_Beano

England 

DG wrote:
What is there not to get? Confused There is a known problem... I have never said anywhere that there isn't... LR have acknowledged similar... there is the known failure rate of engines provided by independent sources.

If Ford\LR know that there was an identified production failure point in the crank that applied to all vehicles ever sold then that would significant grounds for a recall, however it's clear that the failures are completely sporadic.It's not about defending LR ...it's just those are the facts as we know it.

I think what we all agree on is that LR should really be looking after those affected in a far more meaningful manner.

I think I quite clearly stated it was your lack of concern and your incessant pointing to a low percentage but not respecting the single point of failure .
I guess what im saying is you keep asking for proof , you have it from LR in an article 1.3% relating to a SPF , if you can show another manufacturer that has had the same percentile relating to an SPF , I coukd see your defence of the situation , but I cant recall one or believe if such a catastrophic failure was to happen there wouldnt / isnt going to be a recall .

Quote:
I've said this numerous times now but as unfortunate as this is ...don't get hysterical over numbers of failures as they are still tiny compared to the number of engines out there and within the average% of all engine failures

Post #175304223rd Dec 2016 4:11 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

There's no need to psychoanalyse my level of concern...AFAIC we live in a imperfect world where things fail and break to a level which is either acceptable or unacceptable, single point of failure or not and of course to those that it happens to then it is always going to be unacceptable.

As for proof, some are suggesting that the figure was higher and it was the proof of that which I was requesting.

If you think that they are going to recall c.600,000 D3\4's to replace the cranks on the basis that 1.3% have failed then good luck with that Thumbs Up

As for other examples ...let's look at BMW's response to catastrophic engine failure caused by timing chains :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2...ring-fault

Quote:
BMW offers a comprehensive, full three-year warranty on all new cars sold in the UK. Outside of this warranty period, while there is no obligation to assist with the costs of repairs, BMW operates a generous goodwill policy and will consider financial help, depending on the specific circumstances of each case.

Reviewing the customer cases which you have mentioned, the circumstances of each vary widely, as has the response from BMW. Where a fault has occurred on a vehicle with relatively low mileage, which has been serviced within the BMW network, the company has covered most of the repair out of goodwill, despite being outside of the warranty period,

Older vehicles, which have not been serviced or repaired by BMW-authorised technicians, where there can be no certainty as to the quality of the work done or whether genuine BMW parts were used are typically not covered. The use of non-genuine parts, which don’t match BMW specifications, can actually damage other components in the car or harm the performance of its vital systems. Whilst we appreciate the disappointment this will have caused, we cannot provide an indefinite guarantee against engine or component failure, as no manufacturer can.

BMW is committed to ensuring the best possible customer satisfaction and takes all customer concerns extremely seriously. In the case of unusual engine noise, or a more serious fault, there can be a wide variety of causes and further information is required before any conclusion can be reached. If any of your viewers is concerned about their car following your programme, they should call BMW Group UK directly on 08000 93 56 56, where we would be happy to advise them.

The lines will be open between 9.00 am and 6.00 pm on weekdays.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #175308223rd Dec 2016 5:40 pm
marian

Austria 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Well, then we basically come to the same conclusion Smile
There's a problem and instead of acknowledging it and handling it properly (fair price of replacement engine + contribution under certain conditions), LR is playing games.

Post #175308623rd Dec 2016 5:44 pm
Deanos_Beano

England 

DG wrote:
There's no need to psychoanalyse my level of concern.

..there is If I own a D4 that is susceptible and I feel your trying to stifle the importance of the problem though in my opinion Very Happy

Quote:
If you think that they are going to recall c.600,000 D3\4's to replace the cranks on the basis that 1.3% have failed then good luck with that Thumbs Up

I dont see the need for this statement at all , less so as it simply has no basis anywhere or justification .

Quote:

As for other examples ...let's look at BMW's response to catastrophic engine failure caused by timin chains ...

!
Cheers for that , ill have a read , I already see an official recognition and contribution statement which is something , I dont see the SPF though it seems to be generic to all failures from the BMW statement ?

Post #175310023rd Dec 2016 5:59 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

This thread us doing my nut in, back and forth over opinions and little facts.

The D3 had numerous faults, turbos, oil pumps to name but two big failures, mine ran to 150k without either before I sold it.

The D4 no doubt like all Marques has failures too, the crank we ALL know is one of them, mines at 44k, I know cars well over 100k without failure, topics like this always spark emotion on forums, owners come to forums to try and find solutions when things go wrong, I've been on both Ford and VW forums in the past (currently on a Grey Fergy one as I'm rebuilding 2 Laughing ) it's the nature of forums.

No one ever comes on and says, I did X hundred miles this last week with no issue, and few like to say, my car is at X thousand miles without failing as they feel they'll jinx it (DSL Wink ).

So can we wrap this up, it Christmas, I feel really sorry for those affected, I hope mine never has a failure, it's now just out or LR Warrenty (jinx) , all these threads do is stir up worry for owners who then shell out to WD etc based on fear that theirs will fail.

If it is 1:72, and I don't know it is, its better than the odds of many life threatening / changing illnesses illnesses, cancer 1:3, we ALL know someone effected, I do personally and have a parent with dementia, £14-16k to take that away for my dad, sure here's my card number, get it done .

Happy Christmas one and all Thumbs Up
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #175310723rd Dec 2016 6:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Deanos_Beano

England 

Get out and enter the intimidating drone thread , you now have one so you can contribute Smile

I believe its only fair those with failed cranks and those with Discos susceptible especially pre 12 should be ok to be concerned without the being told or made to sound like henny penny the skys falling in , for some it has and for others our heads feel like they are in the clouds Thumbs Up

But yeah I think the debate has run now , lets see the percentages stabilise hopefully

Last edited by Deanos_Beano on 23rd Dec 2016 6:31 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #175310923rd Dec 2016 6:29 pm
Sinci1

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I wish I'd known before I bought the vehicle, then I wouldn't be in the situation, and lr didn't care to tell in the sales pitch. I sincerely hope that you are never in this situation too. I am also sorry to hear of your dad. I also would pay said amount to rid the world of such horrific diseases that like you say affect so many. However 14-16k to bail a massive profit making company that have admitted they screwed up doesn't sit so well. Merry Christmas to you too.

Post #175311023rd Dec 2016 6:30 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Well my ridiculously reliable old bus is sitting outside with 199,982 miles on the clock and just purring along. This week she's been to Chester and back, towed the trailer to the tip and collected our vintage caravan today. Tomorrow she will hit 200,000 miles as she takes us shopping for those last minute bits and bobs.

She's a bit like triggers broom in that I replace any worn parts to keep her in fine form and fettle. However, the engine, transmission, starter and turbo are all original. It also helps having a brilliant garage that really know their stuff - well done Corsham Tyres. Thumbs Up

She's only let us down once when the original alternator died last year on our way to the Tunnel. At 175,000 miles I can live with that sort of unreliability. Laughing
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #175311323rd Dec 2016 6:41 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

beanie wrote:
So can we wrap this up, it Christmas, :

OK ....just because it's Christmas Smile

Sinci1 despite all thats written here ..I do have a heart and I would be the first to sign a petition to get LR to do more about this for you.

Beano thanks for the healthy debate ...I'm sure time will reveal all and we can have another 'discussion'. Laughing Thumbs Up

Greg all the best to your dad mate. Sad
Post #175311723rd Dec 2016 6:54 pm
Deanos_Beano

England 

DG it was good to debate , I hope we informed others somehow and I echo the rest of your post Thumbs Up

Post #175311823rd Dec 2016 6:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 12 of 14 <123 ... 11 121314>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >