Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

D4 Creaking Seat
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Dexter

Scotland 
D4 Creaking Seat

Hi, D4 XS with standard leather / manual front seats. Since the cold spell, the drivers seat has developed a loud creak which appears only when the cab is warmed up. Present at all seat adjustment settings possible and seems to be coming from the seat base rather than the back.

Going to have a look this weekend, see if there's anything obvious but anyone got any ideas or seen this problem before? Already ruled out the leather rubbing on the plastic seat frame covers as I'd seen this on my old D2, but unfortunately not such an easy fix this time.

Cheers Dex

Post #75021521st Jan 2011 1:35 pm
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

Recommend dealer warranty job. Had this on a M-B and it took all day to fix - whole thing out etc.
 d4 HSE  
Post #75027521st Jan 2011 3:32 pm
Vizsla

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Dexter, Did you get anywhere with this?
Our D4 HSE seems to have developed something similar. Passenger seat only and creaks when going around corners, i.e weight shifts laterally in the seat.

Paul

Post #75419730th Jan 2011 2:17 pm
Dexter

Scotland 

Not done anything yet tbh Vizsla. Had a look under the seat but nothing obvious so I'll need to get it into the dealer sometime. I've managed to stop the creak just now by full adjusting the seat down (at the front) so that might work on yours, still comfy enough for me but I'll get the seat base fixed / replaced soon.

I love the Vizslas by the way, almost tempted by a gorgeous wire hair pup just before Chrimbo but unfortunately we're not in the postion just yet to have another hound Crying or Very sad

Dex

Post #75426730th Jan 2011 5:26 pm
Vizsla

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks for the tip Dex.
After closer examination it seemed to simply be because someone in the family had adjusted the seat to full height and angled the base up at the front which presumably put the springs under tension and invokes a creak when lateral pressure is applied. A bit of WD40 didn't seem to do anything. However, simply taking the seat off full height and adjusting the base down fully (as you did) seems to have cured the problem entirely.

Having just driven with passenger aboard and taken a few bends enthusiastically (which always induced several creaks) its all clear. So it seems 're setting' the seat and then adjusting as necessary is the best cure (for now).

Drivers side has always been fine. Thankfully the car is back to being the refined cruiser (with ability) that I love.

Glad you like the Vizsla - he's 4yrs old now (and obviously a short hair). Both types are lovely dogs - very loving and gentle but also somewhat stubborn at times. Highly recommended when the time is right for you.

Cheers,
Paul

Post #7573036th Feb 2011 12:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >