Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

D4 Engine Oil
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
MrH

United Kingdom 
D4 Engine Oil

In case you are not aware of it, the Discovery 4 uses different engine oil to the Discovery 3. It uses Castrol SLX C1 5W-30 oil.

I used to run Audis and they too use Castrol SLX 5W-30 and I have several 1ltr bottles left so I thought maybe I could use them for the D4 - wrong!!!! The C1 does make a difference. I checked with Castrol and their technical department came back with the following:

Your Land Rover must be the latest V6 3.0L diesel version - this particular model is fitted with a DPF ( Diesel Particulate Filter ) and needs a specific oil to meet the requirements for that. I assume that your handbook will mention WSS-M2C-934B and this is a Ford ( Land Rover/Jaguar ) specification that the oil will need to meet to satisfy warranty requirements. The oil is designed to protect the DPF, but also to be fuel efficient and provide adequate lubrication for the engine. As the car is most likely under warranty I would suggest you stick with the SLX Professional Powerflow C1 for top up for the best performance and protection - and to maintain the warranty,

Although the Audi oil is the same viscosity, the formulation is quite different, being tailored to VW/Audi vehicles, and although one could argue that the oils themselves would be compatible - the VW/Audi one would not satisfy the Ford requirements, so I would suggest that it is best not to use it.

Unfortunately, there is no retail alternative meeting that specification so it's a case of visiting the dealer for supplies - this oil is also used in Mazda vehicles, so you could also try them if you don't have a local dealer.

I mentioned that there are D4's without DPFs to which his response was:

In theory, if it doesn't have a DPF then the WSS M2C-913C spec ( Magnatec 5W-30 ) should be suitable - but at the end of the day I would suggest you be guided by the handbook and if it says only use the 934B then follow that rule. Does your handbook give any other options ?

Ok, he's covering his Censored (so would I) but still an interesting result, though I think I'll stick to using the proper stuff for now Laughing

Oh and yes I did ask his permission to quote him on here, he was more than happy saying that this is often what happens to his responses to such queries - my thanks to Andy Griffin of Castrol Technical Bow down
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #7110852nd Nov 2010 12:12 pm
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

OK... stupid question of the morning, but what is your oil consumption like in the D4?

I am about to go from an Audi - previous experience of both an A4 and latterly an A6 would suggest that they drink oil and I used to carry a litre bottle as a constant companion. It was a case of 'used one... better buy another, sharpish!'

However, the Fun Prevention Officer's F2 has not touched a drop in 3 years (other than servicing...) and was rather hoping that this might be the case with the D4...

Rolling with laughter

One can but hope... but would be interested in any thoughts on actual consumption!

Post #7131607th Nov 2010 10:24 am
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks for the info MrH.

Pete

Post #7131677th Nov 2010 10:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I haven't put a drop in my D4, which is just under 12 months old.

Post #7131757th Nov 2010 10:58 am
Dexter

Scotland 

6 weeks and 2000 miles, hasn't used a drop in the 'running in' period Thumbs Up

My previous D3 was much the same.

Dex

Post #7131937th Nov 2010 12:25 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

I've topped up about 1ltr in 15,500 miles which included last month's trip to Tunisia, so nothing major.
Post #7132037th Nov 2010 1:06 pm
Twells2Yoda

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
D4 Engine Oil

Used 1 litre top up (as per dashboard instruction) at 7200 miles, about which half were towing 2tonne twin axle caravan. Maybe of interest that I have found that on board computer is about 4 to 5 MPG. optimistic with measured diesel consumption averaging about 19MPG with the tin tent and about 26 MPG. without.
 LRD4 HSE Ipanema Sand/Arabica trim
http://www.southeast4x4response.co.uk
Downsizing to RRE in May15 

Post #71950622nd Nov 2010 5:57 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Don't post much on here despite being a member.

But the rrs and jag requires the same oil.

You can buy it online, but it's a shell oil meeting the correct spec

Post #78904823rd Apr 2011 7:14 pm
RichardB

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I did a 1 ltr top up at about 11,000 miles. As I don't have a LR dealer near it turned out to be a bit of a chore getting some.

Two weeks later I was in a Halfords and they had exactly the right spec in stock. Probably because it's a Ford spec oil.

Post #78906923rd Apr 2011 7:57 pm
bobgolden

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Mine still registers as okay but is 3 units below the max level. Around Christmas, there was an advert for the right specification Castrol being sold at Skoda garages. I could only find the older spec (2.7 TD) WSS M2C-913C oil at Halfords. Interestingly, the 2.7TD Jaguar XF had a DPF but still used the WSS M2C-913C oil specification. I bought a litre and it was never needed Big Cry
 2010 MX-5 2.0 Sport Tech PRHT
2019 Suzuki Vitara AllGrip

Gone BMW X5 xDrive 30d M Sport (F15)
Gone Disco 4 HSE SD V6
Gone 2008 Jaguar XF 2.7TD Premium Luxury 

Post #79027727th Apr 2011 3:38 pm
KJS

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Both the oils below fit the criteria for the D4 engine.

Millers Oils XF Longlife C1 5w-30
Shell Helix Diesel Ultra AF-L 5W-30 Fully Synthetic Low SAPS Engine Oil

Whilst on holiday in Cornwall a while back l popped into Opie oils and bought some for top ups, but so far after 2500 miles it hasn't been needed ! Whistle

Post #79034427th Apr 2011 5:10 pm
AlanC

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

My handbook also specifies WSS-M2C934-B as you'd expect for a two month old D4, but I guess I should return the complimentary topup the dealer gave me when I collected and have a word..

I was given a litre of Mobil super FE 5W-30 special, which as far as I can see is only WSS-M2C913-B. not suitable for any of the D4 engine variants in my handbook Shocked

I wonder how many other new owners have been given the wrong oil & what the dealer's using for changes behind the scenes..

Post #7937276th May 2011 7:59 pm
Guy

United Kingdom 

I wasn't given any complimentary oil Big Cry

But I'm confused... Thanks KJS for the recommendations above but in the handbook its says "Land Rover recommends Castrol" but I'm damned if I can find the right commercially-available Castrol in the UK. The Castrol website and the natty little box in Halfords (which presumably just connects to the Castrol web site) deny that the D4 even exists. Obviously Castrol make it as an OEM product for LR but you'd think they'd sell it commercially too... Confused

Post #7938647th May 2011 10:51 am
MrH

United Kingdom 

Nope, aparently only available from LR or Jag dealers Sad
Post #7938747th May 2011 11:43 am
Guy

United Kingdom 

Ho hum... Luckily I don't actually need any yet, I was just getting prepared for the first top-up. Then I guess it's back to THW to give them yet more of my hard-earned!

Post #7939567th May 2011 6:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >