Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

D4 - general reliability - is it better than a D3? ...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
fakesnake

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Gareth

Brilliant move from our old 54 plate D3 that we wore out. You will be amazed at how things have progressed in 7 years from your original D3.

But..... less room for odds and sods in the car; still concerned re the painted bumpers/wheelarches; better fuel economy is a myth Wink
 Richard  
Post #84036827th Sep 2011 8:16 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

the D4 is excellant apart from a few annoyances !! :

1) the blingy colour coded bumper and wheel arches - i dont like these - but in all fairness the later D3s had them anyway

2) the EPB switch it blingy and shinny so when the sun shines through the sunroof it reflects up into my eyes

3) there is very little storage in the front so all my bits need to be kept in the cup holders which means when I put a cup in it wobbles and spills over.

4) Keyless entry - this is a pain in the Censored and has already cost me £400 because I sat on my keys and raised the hydraulic security bollard as I was reversing out of the drive - need a new bumper.

5) you cant look at the radio channels and the sat nav at the same time which has caught me out a few times.

6) and this, this is the most annoying of all things.... the front bumper is too rounded so you cant balance your cup of tea/bottle of beer on it when outside working on the car or camping. On the D3 it is nice and flat and hold a mug of tea perfectly.
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #84038027th Sep 2011 8:50 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

DG wrote:
But you still have one in the household don't you Del ? Confused

Only as an offroader, equivalent of the rusty old Deafner on the front lawn. The £50k budget this year for the family wheels went elsewhere.

Post #84057327th Sep 2011 3:03 pm
raadar

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

discodunc,

1) not only the wheel arches present this problem. I have stornaway grey and after 50k klms it shows brush marks also on body panels, but none that can't be buffed out. Solution is to buy a white one if you intend any serious offroad.
3), 4) one of the things I like about the disco is the two glove boxes as well as the shelf above the upper glove box. The biggest downside of keyless entry is "where to keep the keys" as they heve no ignition switch to hang from. I developed the habit of placing the bunch of keys in the handy recess above and in front of the steering wheel but behind the instrument panel.......this gets them out of the way and keeps the seat and drink holders available for more logical uses
6) one of the biggest advantages of the disco over the RR sport is the drop down tailgate. This is used for a full on bar in our camping setup.

Without going into a full list of the D4 attributes, my next one (If there is a next one) would definitely have the locking rear diff, and hopefully by then Landrover may have designed in some more manual controls to allow better offroad performance for the experienced. I am reeeaaallly frustrated by the computor override interfering with critical forward progress when traversing technical offroad environments. Too many times easy traction or adequate ride height has been denied in preference to percieved safety issues determined by the computor programs. I appreciate the ability of terrain response for use by the inexperienced, however, a manual override control would give the experienced better options to maintain traction, ride height, and particularly invaluable momentum which is more than half the secret in sucessfully negotiating deep soft sand, as an example, where ANY application of the brakes by the abs results in instant burial up to the floor boards.

Having said that the general design and packaging and performance are first class. This is a love/hate relationship[/b][/u]
 my10D4se3Ltdv6 current
my08RRStdv8 sold
my07RRStdv8 sold 

Post #84090228th Sep 2011 12:49 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Ditto what Duncan says - especially the lack of front storage areas [incl no nsf slide out cup holder].
This lack of storage really annoys me - but reckon it's now worse on the MY12 models with the removal of another storage area due to repositioning of the TR controls.

1] No little mats in the storage areas that are there.

2] Door bottle holders are square and way too big that bottles just slop around.

3] You cann't see, mileage, trip mileage, ave mpg, instant mpg etc etc all at once, it's either one or the other.

4] Indicators & screen wash are set to predetermined times - I'd rather be in control of how much scoosh to put on the windscreen or how many clicks to give the indicators.

5] No grab handles on front seats.

IMO the practibility of the D3 is now lost in the D4 - it's now gone too 'city' orientated.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic drive, way ahead of the D3, but gone are the days of the basic functional design and layout. ...... DC100 for me next methinks.

Finally, there is a big ongoing problem with mine!!
At 5 months old with 11k on the clock [mainly motorway miles & towing caravan], I've now gone through 3 sets of front discs, calipers & brake pads. .... vibration under braking!
It's back in next week for LR to attempt yet another fix ...... Not Happy!!!! Evil or Very Mad
If I don't get a final fix I'll be considering steps to reject the vehicle.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #84094428th Sep 2011 8:27 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

DiscoDunc wrote:
I agree with the blingy wheel arches Thumbs Up plain black arches and bumper are much better IMO

I wonder if you can buy a D4 that is de-Blinged ? i.e. with the far more logical & smarter black wheels arches
They are only a cosmetic thing I know but for practical reasons - i.e. actually using a vehicle in real life are far much more practical.
same goes for painted bumpers....bumpers are meant to take the odd knock
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #84095428th Sep 2011 8:48 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

D4 Commercial has black plastic arches and rear bumper.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #84096328th Sep 2011 9:10 am
Calcul@tor

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Interestingly, keyless entry and automatic dipping headlights (high beam assist) are two 'extras' I'd consider paying not to have!

The other one that really bugs me is the automatic (electrochromic) dipping rear view mirror! I want to know who's behind me! Whistle
 D4 XS MY12 Galway  
Post #84098628th Sep 2011 9:59 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

ISTR the dipping mirror fuse is 69 on the prefacelifted D3s and that pulling it sorts it. Might be same on facelifted D3s. Whistle

Post #84111628th Sep 2011 3:30 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Calcul@tor wrote:
The other one that really bugs me is the automatic (electrochromic) dipping rear view mirror! I want to know who's behind me! Whistle

Or...just specify privacy glass and then it's useless anyway! Thumbs Up

Post #84114228th Sep 2011 4:28 pm
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

DiscoDunc wrote:
the D4 is excellant apart from a few annoyances !! :

4) Keyless entry - this is a pain in the Censored and has already cost me £400 because I sat on my keys and raised the hydraulic security bollard as I was reversing out of the drive - need a new bumper.

Erm... have you tried NOT putting your keys in your back pocket? Mr. Green I'm just saying..... Whistle

Sorry to hear about your bumper though Crying or Very sad
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #84619611th Oct 2011 3:18 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all the feedback chaps Thumbs Up

In summary, the Discovery 4 is far better as a driving machine, but has lost some of the practicality of the Discovery 3. It has so far demonstrated excellent reliability, with many of the common failures of the '3' not yet showing up on the '4'

Post #84620211th Oct 2011 3:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >