Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

D4 and halogen to xenon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
01coccobet

Italy 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
D4 and halogen to xenon

Sorry to look dumb and stick to this................

but

after few search I still cannot understand if there is the chance to swap from halogen to xenon both non and adaptive one with no issue or activation...and more,did anybody make this swap?!?

please enlight-me

tx Thumbs Up
 figuring it out!!!!
the best feeling:getting airborne. 

Post #65033618th May 2010 11:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Verydisco

Location: A bit there, a bit over there and sometime at home, France

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

No sure anyone has replyed to this here, though Bell Auto services' Boss, Pete has done it to his
contact him, he is a forum member : "bellautos"
 l=Oo\________/oO=l l:Ool======loO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - Orkney Grey, on Black, on Piano Black.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
FREELANDER 2 Td4 HSE "000" - Santorinin Black on Black
Gap Diagnostics' Classic and BT IID Tools!

Previous:
RANGE ROVER TDV8 x3
RANGE ROVER Td6 x1
RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1
DISCOVERY III x3
DISCOVERY II x3
DISCOVERY I x4 

Last edited by Verydisco on 30th May 2010 11:02 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #65040318th May 2010 1:42 pm
Phillw

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

As mentioned by Verydisco Pete at BellAutos is your man. Nice guy who is very helpful. I have been looking at having this done by Pete. I will be contacting Pete in the near future to get this done myself. Just need to purchase the Xenon’s first. I have managed to get a good price from my local dealer for the xenon’s but still rather expensive. Adaptive would not be supported as these require some control unit to run the stepper motors and this unit as far as I am aware is not fitted to the GS. The control unit may be fitted to the XS. Pete would know that. The xenon side of adaptive lights would work. I have spoken to Land Rover UK and was given a bit of a scare story of how it would affect my warranty. By the time I had finished talking with Land Rover I felt that whatever I did with my car (change the bulbs!) would never be approved by Land Rover. Banging Head After a number of conversations they concluded that any component that was affected by having the Xenon lights being switched on in the CCF (car configuration file) would not be covered by the warranty if it was PROVEN by Land Rover that upgrading to Xenon’s caused the problem. Hope this helps. By the way moving to xenon’s is a safety improvement on the vehicle over the original halogen lights. The physical fitting is a ten minute job.

Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS
Discovery 3 TDV6 S
Discovery 2 TD5
2009 Swift Conqueror
MSV-2 Extreme 

Post #65060718th May 2010 9:05 pm
Verydisco

Location: A bit there, a bit over there and sometime at home, France

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Hi Phil
have a look around, Pete Bell not only offers the electric/elecronic mod he also provide a full kit including the headlight at a much better price than LR Retail.
I think it was around 800 for HL, 4X4 upgrade and some other upgrades, again have a look around Wink
 l=Oo\________/oO=l l:Ool======loO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - Orkney Grey, on Black, on Piano Black.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
FREELANDER 2 Td4 HSE "000" - Santorinin Black on Black
Gap Diagnostics' Classic and BT IID Tools!

Previous:
RANGE ROVER TDV8 x3
RANGE ROVER Td6 x1
RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1
DISCOVERY III x3
DISCOVERY II x3
DISCOVERY I x4 

Last edited by Verydisco on 18th May 2010 10:26 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #65064618th May 2010 9:43 pm
Phillw

Thanks Verydisco I have been speaking with Pete and just need to purchase Xenon lights before asking him to activate them. Does anybody know of any cheap D4 xenons in very good condition? Whistle

Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS
Discovery 3 TDV6 S
Discovery 2 TD5
2009 Swift Conqueror
MSV-2 Extreme 

Post #65066618th May 2010 10:02 pm
01coccobet

thank you guys,

there is an italian member that just bought the adaptive ones,and is asking that....but pete is in uk,so wont help for the moment

Phillw,may be you got adaptives on the way..... Whistle
 figuring it out!!!!

Post #65085119th May 2010 10:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Salty Spuds

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I'm in the process of switching to Xenons, we had the Bi-xenons on the D3 & I hadn't realised how good they were until we took the D4 out with the stock halogens C Censored P!! I have spoken to Pete at B.A.S. with a view to getting the xenons activated along with the other goodies. I have also been in touch with Ian at Hids4U to discuss which units to fit (I'm going for the straight conversion rather than the full blown retro-fit) The Ultimate has a slightly higher reliability but is bulky compared to the slim fit unit. I have had the Headlamp units out & the slim ballasts will fit in the recess in the cluster where the OEM ballasts fit, the Ultimate ballast is too big to fit there & would have to be mounted "Off board". Has anyone done the conversion yet, & if so how did you get the cables into the headlamp unit? I assume some holes need to be made Shocked When I eventually take the plunge, I'll be adding LED sidelights as well.
My only concerns are warranty issues, any thoughts?

Last edited by Salty Spuds on 19th May 2010 10:41 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #65094119th May 2010 4:27 pm
Phillw

Hello 01coccobet,
Still searching for xenon’s. Dealer has given me a good price but still too expensive. However I may well go and purchase the lights directly from the Dealer. I know it is probably the most expensive way of doing it but at least you have a year’s warranty on the lights and they will not be scratched or marked. Also if anything does go wrong with the car after fitting xenon’s I feel that Land Rover will have less opportunity of worming out of any potential warranty claim, as I will have genuine parts with receipts should they wish to see it. If I buy them from eBay Land Rover may try to say the lights were not up to specification and consequently get out of resolving any warranty work. I suppose I am paying for peace of mind. I personally would not fit anything other than Land Rover parts as there would be more opportunity for Land Rover to not honour any potential claim. I do not know how well the products from Hids4U integrate into the electronics of the D4. I do know that the D4 will recognise that increased current/voltage draw for the Xenon’s and go into safe mode unless they have been activated in the CCF. I also know that my two local dealers have refused to switch on the xenon’s. Thank goodness for the MSV2 and the likes of BellAutos. I also know that Land rover UK spoke to both of the dealers after I contacted LR customer services to discuss warranty issues. After which both dealers did not want to turn the xenon’s on. It suggests to me that they may have a bit of pressure applied. Neither Land Rover UK or my local dealer could offer a good technical reason why this could not be done. I am not even sure if Land rover dealers can enable Xenon’s. I wouldn’t be surprised if there software has some restrictions.

Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS
Discovery 3 TDV6 S
Discovery 2 TD5
2009 Swift Conqueror
MSV-2 Extreme 

Post #65099519th May 2010 7:03 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Have a peep here

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3638

Pete

Post #65104519th May 2010 9:10 pm
01coccobet

So Pete,

are you stil working on the OE side or you gave up and just do the conversion?!?

What about the euro4 egr blanking?

Bit OT isn't it Whistle
 figuring it out!!!!

Post #65108019th May 2010 10:08 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

For me OE, with the particular kit i fitted i has some problems that really did scare me away.

This should not be the case for the HIDS4U kit as he is aware of the problems i had and his kits should address this.

EURO 4 blanking is a time shortage problem that is holding it back at my end, and finalising a user friendly soloution to all without the other hummm companys copying it badly like they have with my EGR blanking kit its self Whistle

I still think it will need my BAS or MSV2 programming for the soloution on each car.

Pete

Post #65110319th May 2010 10:45 pm
hids4u

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Salty Spuds wrote:
I'm in the process of switching to Xenons, we had the Bi-xenons on the D3 & I hadn't realised how good they were until we took the D4 out with the stock halogens C Censored P!! I have spoken to Pete at B.A.S. with a view to getting the xenons activated along with the other goodies. I have also been in touch with Ian at Hids4U to discuss which units to fit (I'm going for the straight conversion rather than the full blown retro-fit) The Ultimate has a slightly higher reliability but is bulky compared to the slim fit unit. I have had the Headlamp units out & the slim ballasts will fit in the recess in the cluster where the OEM ballasts fit, the Ultimate ballast is too big to fit there & would have to be mounted "Off board". Has anyone done the conversion yet, & if so how did you get the cables into the headlamp unit? I assume some holes need to be made Shocked When I eventually take the plunge, I'll be adding LED sidelights as well.
My only concerns are warranty issues, any thoughts?

You dont need to make any holes to get power cables to the hid kit - it just plugs into the power supply to the h7 bulb. As Pete pointed out on his posting he had a kit go faulty and this caused the main ecu to shut the engine down. So until i get the D4 with halogens to play with and test the ultimate kit to death, the recommendation is to fit the slim ballast kit with ballasts inside the lights and get Pete or someone to change CCF file to say you have xenons. To be honest the cost of changing lights compared to hid kit in existing lights just cant be justified to me. But of course the bixenon bit is nice.

As for warranty the hid kit has another advantage - you can go back to halgogens in seconds before a service. the slim ballast works with canbus and has a start up current of 3.5 amps when i tested it - so very low!! old hella ballasts were 20 amps plus! so no risk of damage to the ecu

r
ian

Post #65222223rd May 2010 9:22 pm
01coccobet

Thumbs Up
 figuring it out!!!!

Post #65253924th May 2010 5:54 pm
Salty Spuds

Well! I've placed my order with Hids4U, I just need to get Pete to sort out the activation & I'm good to go. I'll keep you appraised.

Post #65347426th May 2010 7:17 pm
Salty Spuds

Well! I placed the order yesterday afternoon & paid for the "standard" delivery, they arrived lunchtime today. First impressions are that it appears to be quality kit. The manual is clear & in "proper" English not Engrish Whistle As soon as I get around to fitting it I'll update you. I need to get to BAS first to get the xenons activated.

Post #65392927th May 2010 7:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >