Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

D4 ideal options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
thriftwood

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Hi
Agree with adaptive lights - they are brilliant (literally) on country roads.
Heated steering wheel was a must for me - I have wanted this on my previous cars every winter (not just this very cold one)
Full size spare is a no-brainer (should be standard)
Ipod Lead (can't believe thay are charging for that now)
Tyre pressure monitoring is personal - I have it and like the thought of an extra set of eyes looking after my tyres
Privacy glass - yes - but as has been said probably available more cheaply elsewhere.
I went for the fridge - good for keeping chocolates and the odd can of beer coke in - but to be honest it is quite small so don't expect to keep very much in there - not had much cause to use it in this weather either Wink
I have locking diff - so RSE wasn't an option for me - It does seem very expensive given the other options available.
TV - again IMO seems very expensive for what it is.
Not sure how much difference it makes but I would try the ride on 20" wheels - I have 19" and that seems quite firm enough for me
Cameras are fun & quite useful ( a few changes would make them great) and probably might help sell the car on with the cool gadget factor Smile

The one option I would have at the top of the list (especially given the amount of window misting that I experieced the other day with five people in the car) is Rear A/C - And that is the one option that L/R in their infinite wisdom have decided that we can't have in the UK Evil or Very Mad

Have fun deciding - whatever you choose you will love it - it is a great car Mr. Green
Richard

Post #6125621st Mar 2010 7:48 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yep! Go on, pay the dealer their money and let us nearly new buyers reap the rewards!

I can't bring myself to buy a new car, I know it's a nice experience etc. but my head just looks at the depreciation.

My car has actually gone up in price since I bought it! Never had that before, not that it's much use as I'd only want to buy another D3 and they've all gone up!
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #6125671st Mar 2010 7:48 pm
110CSW

United Kingdom 

Was going to say just buy an SE but I won't as you can't.

Enjoy your car. Razz

Post #6125751st Mar 2010 7:52 pm
LaSource

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Thanks for the replies so far...

So the options list so far is:

Yes's:
Santorini black with Grand black lacquer
Bi-xenon adaptive headlights
Centre cooler storage box
Full size alloy spare wheel
Heated steering wheel
iPod connection
Hybrid TV

No's:
Active rear locking differential
Electronic tyre pressure monitoring
Park heating with remote
Privacy glass (to rear of B post) - will do aftermarket solution
Tow pack

Not sure's:
19" 7 split or 20" split spoke alloy wheels - I am minded towards 19" due to general comments about harsher ride and potential curbing by SHMBO (as she did with the M5!)
Diesel particulate filter - what is this?? I read it also makes the engine noisier
Rear seat DVD entertainment system - Strong arguments supporting RSE install only hesistating before I add to the 'Yes' list to give me time to get over the cost increase!
Surround camera system - No supporting comments so far

Please let me know if you have any other comments on the 'Not sure's'

Thumbs Up

Post #6125761st Mar 2010 7:52 pm
thriftwood

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

The DPF is a filter/trap that captures some of the soot particles form the exhaust and then burns them off with a regular purge cycle. This helps reduce the particle emmisions of the car. They are not yet a legal requirement (someone will no doubt be along to say when they will become compulsory) so in the interests of keeping it simple I would avoid it until it becomes compulsory. I think! that it may also have an impact on fuel consumption but I may just be imagining that I read that Wink
Richard
Ps
I do like the cameras - would prob have them again - just wish they had a couple of enhancements

Post #6125901st Mar 2010 8:00 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

DPF AFAIK just helps with emissions, you don't get anything tangable and that there are maintenance things to be done, plus they have been problematic.

Post #6125911st Mar 2010 8:00 pm
LaSource

I am ignoring the depreciation debate (as you can tell!)

This is my first 'new' car. I have always bought used traditionally and overall have probably made a profit over the last 4 years of ownership. I could never accept depreciation.

What's changed? Well, after years of buying cars mainly for myself, I want to buy something nice for the other half. Also, I suppose I have become a little desensitised to numbers after looking at these prices for a few weeks. Finally, I started looking at 1-3 year old D3s, and then realised that I liked what I read about the D4 engine, and with some (small!) dealer discount and the £2K scrappage for an old banger I had lying around, I could stretch for a D4 HSE for only some £13K more than a 1-2 year old AUC D3...plus at this stage the new car is cheaper than almost all used AUC D4 stock! ...so I suppose residuals should be good for a little while...I have accepted a rough £6K avg hit per year over 3 years (at least in the current environment - however after the UK elections, HMgov will probably come down with an almighty tax hammer to replenish the coffers!)...

...ok so now I am going off topic! So Stu you are welcome to the car after a few years!

Post #6126541st Mar 2010 9:08 pm
cte

Wales 

My D4 is being built on Friday and is replacing an 06 HSE. We've gone for Santorini Black because we want a change of colour. I have a Mini with cream leather and it's a nightmare to kep clean so we've gone for Ebony like we had in D3. Gone for the black wood.
As for extras we went for
Privacy Glass - had it on D3 and I feel it really suits the car. I'd rather have it factory fited rather than a retro film.
Heated steering wheel - it was on a demo I drove and thought it was fantastic, realised after how uncomfortable a cold steering wheel on D3 was.
Full size spare - had it on D3 and need it in case I have a puncture while towing and I will actually use it to avoid payin for one replacement tyre and put a worn tyre on as spare after.
Adaptive zenons - had them on D3 but wasn't originally going to have them but then realised how much I appreciated them and they really are a wonderful feature which makes the car that bit special.
Ipod lead

We had a centre console fridge in D3 - very small and never used it. I used the box as storage for other stuff and had a portable cool box in boot when required.
One feature I ( or my row three passengers) will probably miss in south of France this summer is rear ar con but can't have that any more!
Didn't really consider any other extras although if I had more kids would have looked at RSE.

Post #6127421st Mar 2010 10:37 pm
oop north

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4

Re the internal colour I could not go for anything other than black because the carpets now match the seat colour (unless I've got it horribly wrong) - with the D3 you got black carpets period, but with the D4 you get pale carpets with pale seats. Not a good idea with two kids (plus nieces and nephews) and living on a farm!

If it were possible to have black carpets with paler seats I might be tempted by that option, but couldn't contemplate having anything other than black carpets

The black dash looks a bit dowdy - not seen with the grand black lacquer, but I would definitely choose the gbl if buying new - should improve the look I think

Heated steering wheel - never thought there could be any point until I got a D3 in January and now I'd tick the box

Cameras - had a demo at the "by appointment" event last week - excellent for towing (hitching up in particular) and for placing car in parking spaces but not sure it's necessary

Bendy xenons - definite yes from me - great for country lanes but probably not useful if you're in town all the time

Post #6129642nd Mar 2010 11:12 am
TinkerMan

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

cte wrote:
One feature I ( or my row three passengers) will probably miss in south of France this summer is rear air con but can't have that any more!

Maybe I'm missing something, but I keep seeing mention of a lack of rear air con. Surely this doesn't mean that the air con isn't routed to the rear of the car and only comes out of the front vents???

Post #6130182nd Mar 2010 12:31 pm
cte

Wales 

The rear air con had vents in the C pillar, vents in the roof lining where the roof raises above row two and a fan and big vent in nearside of load compartent.
There is still the vents in the back of centre console box for row two occupants.

Post #6130512nd Mar 2010 1:28 pm
TinkerMan

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

Now I'm very confused. Sounds like there are a lot of air con vents, so why the complaints about lack of rear air con?

Post #6130602nd Mar 2010 1:36 pm
LaSource

Thanks guys for the great help.

I am due to see the dealer this eve and so am zeroing in on a spec (am also beginning to get cold feet about spending all this money on a new car!)

So the options list so far is:

Yes's:
Santorini black with Grand black lacquer
Bi-xenon adaptive headlights
Centre cooler storage box
Full size alloy spare wheel
Heated steering wheel
iPod connection
Hybrid TV

No's:
Active rear locking differential
Electronic tyre pressure monitoring
Park heating with remote
Privacy glass (to rear of B post) - will do aftermarket solution
Tow pack
Diesel particulate filter
RSE - Although there were good arguments, I am finding it difficult to justify. SWMBO thought I was bonkers trying to get £2.5K entertainment for the younlings! "They can read a book...."

Not sure's:
19" 7 split or 20" split spoke alloy wheels - I am minded towards 19" due to general comments about harsher ride and potential curbing by SHMBO (as she did with the M5!)
Surround camera system - Now that RSEs are on the no list, I may add these in
Almond or Ebony interior - This is a toughy. Almond looks nicer and many people have said they manage to keep it clean albeit with additional maintenance. If only LR did an Almond with black carpet. Currently minded to go Almond/Arabica.

Post #6130642nd Mar 2010 1:41 pm
pavol

Slovakia 

Hello to all,

as I am finilising my configuration as well, I would like to know your opinion on the following:

Does it make sense to take the winter package together with the auxiliary heater? Isn´t it an overkill?
And secondly, for those who own the winter package on D3/D4, what is your opinion on the windscreen heating? In the model I tried the tiny wires in the glasst distracted a little bit my attention when driving, especially in rainy conditions (which are quite often in LU).

Many thanks for any response!
Pavol

Post #6135653rd Mar 2010 11:30 am
cte

Wales 

Hi Pavol,

You'll have to tell us what's in those packages.
Reference the heated screen, I've had them as a 'must have' in both of our two cars for the last ten years - a selection of Fords, our current Mini and the D3 just sold. It is a must for us as it clears the screen so effectively within a couple of minutes and stops it refreezing and misting up as you drive along in those first few minutes. I've never felt it has ditracted me, what does happen over a number of years is that individual element lines in the screen do fail.
Carwyn

Post #6138433rd Mar 2010 5:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >