DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

D4 ideal options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
LaSource

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4
D4 ideal options

Hello all,

I am in the process of finalising the order for a new D4 HSE. I was looking for some feedback on the ideal options. Of course, my primary desire is to have the right options for the family's use and secondary desire to ensure I chose ones that make it easier to sell the car whenever the time comes (I do not necessarily expect to get the cost back on resale)

The car is mainly going to be my wife's school run aand daily car with some weekend family trips. We have three girls ranging from 3 - 11 and frequently need the extra seats.

Many thanks for your help! I hopethis would be of interest of other as well with similar driving needs...

Overall specification:

External:
Santorini black

Internal:
Grand black lacquer with either Almond/Arabica interior or Ebony
Not sure on the internal trim - Almond looks more 'range rover-ish' and striking whereas Ebony looks more 'executive'. We also worry whether Almond will be difficult to maintain with the children (any thoughts?)

Options:

19" 7 split spoke alloy wheels £0.00 (nco) - nco
20" 10 split spoke alloy wheels £795.01 - ?? We are unlikely to go offroad. Do the 20" look more attractive? I like the idea but have not seen any in the flesh. Does the ride suffer that much?
Active rear locking differential £495.00 - No given little offroad use
Bi-xenon adaptive headlights £300.00 - Yes,though are these useful in real use?
Bi-Xenon headlights £0.00 - nco
Centre cooler storage box £229.99 - Yes, seems attractive for resale
Diesel particulate filter £450.00 - No, though only because I do not know what this is!
Electronic tyre pressure monitoring£385.00 - No
Full size alloy spare wheel £120.00 - Yes, useful in case a rim gets curbed
Heated steering wheel £175.00 - No, do you use this?
Hybrid TV £500.00 - Yes
iPod connection £25.00 - Yes
Metallic paint £0.00 - nco
Non smokers pack - Discovery £0.00 - nco
Park heating with remote £1,000.00 - No, seemed too expensive for the luxury
Privacy glass (to rear of B post) £395.00 - I thought I would do these aftermarket as a removable film
Rear seat DVD entertainment system £2,250.00 - I would like this for the kids but seems tooo expensive. Any feedback on how well they work? Was thinking of trying lower cost after market solution. Any experience?
Smokers pack - Discovery £25.00 - No
Solid paint £0.00 - No
Space saver spare wheel £0.00 - No
Surround camera system £699.99 - ?? originally liked this for additional parking help however have read negative comments
Tow pack £440.00 - No

Post #6124431st Mar 2010 5:19 pm
jojim65

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I'm sure you are not going to be short of replies on this....

But to set the ball rolling, Almond looks classier IMHO than Ebony, yes it does get a little dirty after a while but even just a damp cloth brings it back, and don't forget ebony gets dirty to you just can't see it till it rubs off on your clothes.

I love black paint and have a buck blue HSE but it's a real Censored to keep clean especially in the summer when it drys too quick to leather off.

Adaptive headlights are standard on mine and like you thought just a gimic. In use however, they are very good and I would have them again.

My wifes one and only complaint in the cold weather is the cold steering wheel, everything else gets toasty with heated seats etc, so for next winter I'm going to have to change the wheel.

Full size spare is a must,

I wouldn't bother with privacy glass, theres a very good firm often mentioned on here that will do it to your spec for half that price.

My HSE went in for service this morning and I sat in a D4 HSE so I am instantly jealous it feels very tactile and I'm sure you will love it.

Post #6124541st Mar 2010 5:34 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

personally i'd loose the hybrid tv, don't know anyone who has it working as well as it should, ie getting a good signal..\BUt i'd tick yes for heated steering wheel...

Post #6124551st Mar 2010 5:34 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Heated steering wheel is an absolute must and a steal at £170, got mine for 3 times that but worth it!

Post #6124601st Mar 2010 5:42 pm
LaSource

Thanks for the quick responses!

I realise that black can be difficult to keep clean, however SWMBO wants black...also I think the rear windows look less 'breadvan like' in black (sorry if I have offended anyone!) since the top black portion of the rear window blends in or the whole window blends in if in privacy glass.

Good to hear the adaptive lights are useful.
I hope you heated steering wheel people are not being influenced by the freaky british winter this year! I will consider this.
I have a TV in my M5 which does not get used that much, but useful when you are waiting around (so I feel I know what I am getting)...though I hear what you are say about reception quality...any others have issues with this?

Keep them coming! Thumbs Up

Post #6124631st Mar 2010 5:45 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Winter, what winter??? Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

Back garden 4 days ago!

Post #6124661st Mar 2010 5:51 pm
LaSource

Blimey! I think you need to deprioritise the heated steering wheel and get your dog a proper kennel!
Smile

Post #6124671st Mar 2010 5:55 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

He (along with his bruv) has one, it's called our bedroom! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #6124681st Mar 2010 5:58 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I guess where you live, where you drive has some impact on the choice of extras, but I would say:

Full size spare, heated wheel, iPod cable are no brainers; adaptives are excellent, especially if you live in the countryside, and certainly worth it; TV and RSE sort of go together - rather depends upon the driving you do - is rear seat entertainment that important? That said, it is a much neater and more integrated solution than the majority of aftermarket solutions - guess that is really a budgetry choice, but if you go RSE, then get the TV too....not least as the advent of all digital means the Freeview signal is going to boosted coniserably. Cameras? I wouldn't both if I was you!

Colour, trim, privacy are all so much a personal choice; I have ebony leather, and it looks mighty smart.

Post #6124801st Mar 2010 6:16 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

TFC did a DVD headrest install for NeilD. Great job, very pro, looks as good as the factory finish and I think it cost about £1000 (TFC can confirm no doubt).

So if you want it doing it can be done very well for a lot less than Land Rover want for it.

£500 for TV on a 7" screen - I think that's pretty mental.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #6124931st Mar 2010 6:37 pm
eaglesrest

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Integrated RSE is great. Press a couple of buttons on the front screen and the kids are entertained. Priceless!

Not sure if an aftermarket can be controlled as easily while driving.

Post #6125081st Mar 2010 7:00 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

eaglesrest wrote:
Not sure if an aftermarket can be controlled as easily while driving.

Hence my comment about integration. There are lots of very good aftermarket alternatives, but they way they can interact with the bits that are already provided by LR can be limited.

Post #6125121st Mar 2010 7:09 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

No I don't think it can be controlled from the front but for £1500 difference I'd be quite happy to let my kids put their own DVD's in - I don't think you even have to press play.

Still the more people that get RSE the more chance I have of getting it in a D4 second hand in a year or two! Thumbs Up
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #6125131st Mar 2010 7:10 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

LR RSE can certainly be controlled from the front, but I agree that it is a big price to pay.......

Post #6125391st Mar 2010 7:32 pm
LaSource

I must admit I am being persuaded by the integrated RSE option.

I appreciate Winger's comments about RSE integration, however, as Stu mentions, for some £1,500 I could have lived without it (would just have had to administer strong discipline on the 11 year old!). I had a look at NeilD's pictures and the TFC install does look very neat and I would have also gone the same way for a used disco install.

HOWEVER, as I am purchasing new, I am somewhat concerned about the comments about taking half the dash and internal bits out. In a new car I expect everything to be screwed tightly with no sqeaks (else back to dealer) and dash 'panel gaps'. Taking this apart sounds scarey therefore the attraction of RSE.

Also, I had a look at the standard D4 HSE headrests, and these seemed quite narrow to me. I assume that if RSE is fitted then a wider headrest is used? or are the screens really that small?!

The price of RSE (esp when TV is added to it) is steep! especially as it would be very difficult to recover much of upon resale compared to other cars of similar condition/age (Stu would be a happy camper though!)

Post #6125501st Mar 2010 7:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >