Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

D4 Power Upgrade and Locking Diff
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
D4Dude

England 
D4 Power Upgrade and Locking Diff

Just ordered a D4 Commercial and have been told it's now coming with the 3.0ltr auto instead of the 2.7 manual I ordered.

The wife was not keen on the auto but I was, an as it's a free upgrade I'm not going to moan.

I've spoken to them and it's going to be the lower powered 3.0ltr, is it worth paying for the upgrade to 245ps? It's coming out at £1000 and seems quite a bit considering the mpg are the same and you gain about a second 0-60 an a bit more torque.

Also did an off-roading day the other day and was recomended to get the locking diff by the instructor, I can see the benifits in the snow and have added it, what do people think?

Any other recomendations?

Post #66302021st Jun 2010 3:49 pm
sbrown

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I was a bit unsure whether to go for the rear locking diff on mine as well. To be honest though unless you're using it off-road in earnest I don't think there's much point. Interested on hearing other opinions though

Post #66311621st Jun 2010 7:02 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

You don't even need a rear locking diff if you go off road either......

Post #66315521st Jun 2010 7:56 pm
D4Dude

England 

Winger wrote:
You don't even need a rear locking diff if you go off road either......
How good are the electronics. You could sure get the Defender stuck when not using the diff lock.  
Post #66317921st Jun 2010 8:42 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

D4Dude wrote:
How good are the electronics.

never had need of a locking rear diff on the D3...and the D4 TR software is supposed to be upgraded.

Doesn't mean I've never got stuck - but when and where I have, a locking rear diff would not have made a difference.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #66318021st Jun 2010 8:46 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I cannot think of anywhere I have driven offroad in either the D3 or D4 that a rear locking diff would have made any difference in either. The electronics are improved on the D4, but they are (after all) a driver support. The D4 (and D3) are far superior to the Defender offroad, and the Defender is pretty good.

Post #66319021st Jun 2010 9:18 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

D4Dude wrote:
You could sure get the Defender stuck when not using the diff lock.

are you thinking of the centre diff lock rather than the rear? That certainly makes a big difference when you forget it - one wheel spinning will be enough to stop you! In the standard D3 and D4 you have a locking centre diff but the electronics manage it for you, there's no diff lock button to worry about. Not tried the D4 off road yet but the D3 on practically bald tyres was amazingly competent round the track at the Abingdon show last year - I can't see a rear locker being required except in the most extreme conditions.

Post #66320321st Jun 2010 9:41 pm
D4Dude

England 

I removed the rear diff lock but while I was on the phone added the power upgrade.

More power = good!!! 8)

Post #66357222nd Jun 2010 7:58 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Does the detuned one come with 18 inch wheels? What about with power upgrade?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #66373023rd Jun 2010 2:47 am
Ken

Winger wrote:
The D4 (and D3) are far superior to the Defender offroad, and the Defender is pretty good.

Censored Stop it & your just biased Defner is way better just requires a better pilot that just counts out most on here Wink

Did say Most not All Whistle Thumbs Up

Post #66373323rd Jun 2010 6:40 am
D4Dude

England 

The 11MY comes with 19" wheels ad standard now an the bigger discs. The 245ps has a different manifold too so is a back to factory upgrade I was told, not sure why they can't do it at the dealers though.

Post #66379823rd Jun 2010 10:28 am
caverD3

2.7L D4 here has the smaller disks the 3.0L has the larger discs. Just hoping the detuned one would retain the smaller disks.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #66380523rd Jun 2010 11:10 am
D4Dude

England 

caverD3 wrote:
2.7L D4 here has the smaller disks the 3.0L has the larger discs. Just hoping the detuned one would retain the smaller disks.

As far as I know there swapping over to the bigger discs on on the 210ps, hence the 19" wheels.

Post #66387723rd Jun 2010 2:29 pm
caverD3

If they change engines here and do the same it won't help us and definately won't help their sales either. Rolling Eyes
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #66417124th Jun 2010 12:53 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

Ken wrote:
Winger wrote:
The D4 (and D3) are far superior to the Defender offroad, and the Defender is pretty good.

Censored Stop it & your just biased Defner is way better just requires a better pilot that just counts out most on here Wink

Did say Most not All Whistle Thumbs Up

Gotta agree with you there Ken, however if the D3 had the all round clearance and departure/approach angles of a Defender there would be no contest, or flip that round and put the D3/4 TC and auto locking diffs in a Defender and wey hey!!
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #66423524th Jun 2010 11:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >