Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

D4 problem - metallic 'clicking' & vibration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ballast

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
D4 problem - metallic 'clicking' & vibration

Hi

After some assistance to point me in the right direction please - various searches have proved inconclusive.

Problem started a while back after I think going through a fairly shallow, but rocky ford. As I pulled out of the valley I noticed a slight metallic clunking noise - sounded possibly exhaust or something like that, but nevertheless, metal on metal, not loud and only when working hard coming up the hill. Stopped, had a look, couldn't see anything and went on our way. Not really thought about it again, I've perhaps noticed it once or twice when accelerating, but largely had forgotten about it.

Then today, driving back from Cornwall, a much louder noise (doing circa 70mph) including the metallic 'clicking'; initially assumed exhaust, but clearly not. Limped home with vibration getting worse when accelerating and 'clicking' obvious at low speeds and getting faster when accelerating. Vibration feels drive train rather than TC. It's clearly had a new prop shaft in the last few years, so dismissed that; whipped off the rear brakes just to check the shoes, but no problem there. The 'clicking' sound seems to come from mid way on the car, but difficult to pinpoint. Appears to be now getting worse and worse. Any ideas?

MY16 D4.

Thanks all

Chris

Post #23324005th Apr 2023 5:16 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Check your centre prop bearing, any appreciable lateral play and it's likely shot.
Climb under and grab the shaft behind the transfer box and just above the heat shield.
If it moves up and down and feels floppy its kaput!

The bearing can be replaced although a bit fiddly, but at around £55 it's a whole lot cheaper that a new prop shaft! Beyond that check the other four drive shafts for any foreign object wrapped around or any damage to the boots.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #23324315th Apr 2023 7:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >