Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

D4 sat nav
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

An update to the sat-nav update on my MY2010 HSE.

Before the update, I found the software very poor, despite trying all different combinations of settings. This weekend, we've been from the Midlands to Chichester, and on the way down it seemed to work pretty well. Coming home yesterday it was a nightmare. After sending us onto the M25 (it initially said that the usual A34 way would take us over an hour longer!), it wanted us to come off at every junction (and then re-join at the other side of the junction), and then just din't recognise the M1 at all. I cancelled the routing several times, and altered the preferences, all with the same result.

Therefore, I either need to spend a long time trying to sort it out, or the sat-nav screen fills a useful space where a decent after-market unit might sit.

If my experience is indicative of the earlier D4 sat-nav, save your money, and just accept driving across fields every now and then! Big Cry

Post #137890725th Nov 2014 12:30 pm
gvw

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Anybody else updated their 09/10 d4 sat Nav maps?
I was thinking this might help for our trip through france later in the year?

Post #142769016th Feb 2015 6:36 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Edited ..Wrong post
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #142770116th Feb 2015 6:47 pm
gvw

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I got excited then when I saw you had posted - thought you might have come up with a fix Laughing

Post #142773716th Feb 2015 7:37 pm
spanner

The stock nav in any newish car is still poor so my D3 I decided to modify with

custom lockscreen

custom selection screen enabling WIFI Internet forward looking cameras and lots of computer apps like email, pdf viewer, word,excel,lots of games and so on

Then the nav is Primo with online traffic so bang up to date for all incidents in real time from google traffic

Post #142775816th Feb 2015 8:06 pm
xallem

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hello Spanner,

how did you did this ?

Post #14561259th Apr 2015 11:01 pm
spanner

Hi used on of these http://car-solutions.com/en/gps-navigation...-and-boxes
and a GIVF unit

Post #145659611th Apr 2015 8:07 am
Hanechdene

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Has anyone purchased the 2015 update yet and if so has it made a difference?

Post #145673811th Apr 2015 12:41 pm
Janz1964

France 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Hi all,

New to the forum and relativey new to Disco 4 ownership, not new to LR ownership having owned several series LRs, Disco 1 and 2s and Defenders. Bought my LHD D4 last May as have moved to Atlantic Pyrenees recently. It's a strange and rare beast - late 2009 GS 2.7 manual with Harman, full screen Nav, heated seats, bi Xenon and spots i.e. basic with expensive options Confused 1 owner, FLRSH and only 50K miles... and immaculate though Very Happy (you can tell I love it!)

Anyway, cutting to the chase - the HDD Nav has a 2009 file date and as far as I can tell hasn't been updated from new. I haven't had any issues with it so far, but driving from St Malo down to the South of France (south of Pau) it did some weird stuff (for info, wife was following in her Beetle Cab with up to date Garmin Nuvi 55 - and we agreed she would indicate if I did something different to what her GPS was saying - I had my Garmin 2545LMT as back up as well).

All was OK until we got to Bordeaux - have been round the Rocade many times - and as expected, the LR nav directed me towards the Eastern side of the ring road, until suddenly as soon as I hit the slip road, it told me to 'keep left' so I abandoned and went with it - wife frantically flashing Shocked OK, 6 of one etc. but then things went really strange. the LR Nav directed me towards the A10 via A630 (sorry to those who don't know the region - but bear with me). This would be in keeping with preferences of major roads selected, but.... in December 2010, so after the map date, a new motorway was constructed between southern Bordeaux and Pau - the A65. Knowing my way, I ignored the (condascending voice) instructions of the LR Nav and went for the A62 to join the new motorway (A65). Watching the map, the LR Nav seemed to know the whole motorway, all the junctions etc, but simply wouldn't suggest it as a viable journey, directing me off it at every junction Confused How could it know it if the file date precedes the motorway completion?

I must admit, I tend to study maps and know exactly where I am going and rely on Sat Navs mainly for traffic info when leaving late for an airport and to get to final detail places in town or city centres (Getting old I guess) but on the whole, I find the 2009/2010 LR Nav actually very good, even considering it is now at least 5 years out of date.

Lancaster have quoted £140 to update it - is it worth it? Is it just a map change or whole interface? I would like to use the D4 Nav as like some other members have stated, it cost a fortune and negated the need to stick a portable to the screen, with cables and traffic system wires etc.

Post #153214920th Sep 2015 2:16 am
xallem

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

spanner wrote:
Hi used on of these http://car-solutions.com/en/gps-navigation...-and-boxes
and a GIVF unit

hello,

Spanner can you give us more details about the configuration you chose ?

Can you give us the list of the items you used and the way it works ?

thank you

Xallem

Post #153235420th Sep 2015 5:02 pm
spanner

Hi

As stated I used a standalone navigation computer as contained within the link this will interface to you existing navigation screen I used the windows CE unit. I also used a Royaltek TMC receiver and a FTDI break out board from Ebay just search any further help just ask

Post #153734830th Sep 2015 12:39 pm
Utred

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

adam wrote:
I suspect not
D4 Sat Nav does make me laugh - will take you off a Mway junction and imediatley drop you back on the Mway - I suspose looking out of the window once in a while helps Laughing

In fairness, my 11 month old Audi did this on the M1 the other day.....then took me off the M1 again, down an A road and back on 1 junction later - wtf was that all about (there was no traffic, etc)

Post #188138719th Nov 2017 9:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >