DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

D4 sat nav removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Russell

United Kingdom 
D4 sat nav removal

To remove the sat nav screen
Remove the trim below screen (in my case a wood trim effect panel) this lifts straight up held in place with two clips. This exposes two screws which need to be removed before proceeding. Next pull the chrome trim outwards, this is the one that goes around the radios volume and mode control switch. Before you go any further you now need to remove the centre consoule. Pull the cup holder upwards, it is held in with two clips at the front and two at the back. Once this is removed there are two screws to remove, they sit dirrectly under the cup holder.
Once these are remover the gear selector needs to be put into D and then the gear knob needs to be removed. The centre consoule can then be removed by liffting from the back by the seat belt buckles, once the back is lifted the front will also lift out
Next the trims to the left and right of the control panel can be removed, these are what used to be the H trim in the D3. Pull them one at a time from the bottom with an outward and upward motion. They are held in by the same type of clips as on the D3. Here the left trim has been removed first
When both trims have been removed the radios control panel can be uncliped, again two sprung clips on each side
When this has be removed you will see four screws left holding the sat nav screen in place, remove these and the creen will come out here are a couple of pictures of the rear of the panel and the cooling fan vent

The re-fittment is a reverse process.

Whilst I had the cente consoule out I found a connector, does anybody know what it is for, could it be for the arm rest cooler on models with that fitted?

The emergency hand brake release cable can be seen in this photo as well.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #63691616th Apr 2010 4:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Nice job Russell, i saw the same connector when i had a centre consol out also and wondered.

Re the NAV, oneof those plugs/wires must be the picture feed for the reerse camera that i believe comes from the centre console somewhere which would also lead under the seat to the soround camera module i winder if this can be tapped into somehow.

Pete

Post #63714917th Apr 2010 12:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
marcoVU

United States 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Russell, very useful stuff. Here in the states, we have no tv tuner option, so my summer goal is to find a way to do this, but i was unsure as how to remove the navigation. Your work is extremely valuable. I do have one question though. You mention that the wood trim effect panel lifts straight up and is held in place by two clips. Where are these clips and can I just pry this piece from the front with a flathead screwdriver or do i need to release the clips underneath somehow? thanks.

Post #64180327th Apr 2010 3:59 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Do not need to pry with anything, I used my finger nails into the small gap and then lifted.
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #64186527th Apr 2010 6:49 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I bite my finger nails - seemed to be all the rage as Gordoom Brune was doing it. Do I need to use a screwdriver?

Post #64191327th Apr 2010 8:09 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

bellautos wrote:
Re the NAV, oneof those plugs/wires must be the picture feed for the reerse camera that i believe comes from the centre console somewhere which would also lead under the seat to the soround camera module i winder if this can be tapped into somehow.Pete

The red and black wire on the second plug looks like the video input ( proberly camera in that picture ) .It is identical to my TV tuner output

By the looks of it they have done away with the 3 fakra connections and put a block teminal in there .

I would say the tv and companion cam could be plugged in the same connector ( different pins )

The terminals are even in the center pins , which would corrospond with the reversing camera position on the 3 small screens in diagnostic mode
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #64197527th Apr 2010 9:34 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Intresting, fancy bringing the Sankey trailer to the D3 camping weekend in September, there may be a few D4's there.
D4 camera club 

Post #64199727th Apr 2010 10:12 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If i can make some progress ..then yes maybee i will

Have you got the camera ( or camera system) on yours ?

If yes ..i would remove that plug and see if you loose the picture ..that way you will know for deffo
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #64204127th Apr 2010 11:30 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Yes I have , will have a look when I have a spare few minutes.
D4 camera club 

Post #64205228th Apr 2010 12:15 am
Sniegy

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Russell,
In the last photo,
The plug you have found is for the Centre Console cooler box.
I have fitted one to my D4 & used the part number from the D3 as it fits & works fine. Works a treat. Smile
Cheers.
 D4 Alaska/Almond 2.7 TDV6 with E-diff & extra's.. Smile

Keep smilin' Smile Pete. 

Post #6434891st May 2010 5:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >