Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

D4 Turbo Lag or EGR fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jwph

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
D4 Turbo Lag or EGR fault

I have a D4 that has been through a solenoid valve replacement based on VIN range and also had some fuel economy updates. However, I still have loss of power symptoms and the engine response has deteriorated greatly compared to first drives. It has terrible lag if trying to accelerate after coasting with the rev's dropping to 1500rpm or below. Has to drop down a gear to get underway and previoulsy it didn't do that. Top end performance is still there (eventually) in terms of rpm versus speed but is slow to get there. The car has been driven by a mechanic who conifrms the poor driving characteristics and says it feels like the primary turbo is not working.

I have seen various posts about reduced performance, but these seem to relate actuator (solenoid) valves and these have been replaced on mine. I have seen one post about EGR valves and a comment from Winger that EGR faults are starting to present. The problem is similar to EGR fualts I had with my D3. The dealer also noted that after the solenoid valve replacement they were meant to test for vacuum pressure, but couldn't get any!!! - not sure what that tells us.

The dealer here in NZ is scratching their head (not too many here) so any help or suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated. I have actually been told there are no EGR faults on 3.0tdv6 so they are dismissing it and that concerns me as it seems you might be starting to see problems in the UK

thanks.

Post #6552601st Jun 2010 8:04 am
sgtbilko

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

I picked up a new D4 3.0 yesterday. Drove great on the way back from England (all 50mph to 70mph and no traffic). Drove in urban area today and have the feeling that the primary turbo isn't working either. Off the mark it feels like I'm pulling second or third gear. Press accelerator harder to compensate and all hell brakes loose. On the straight I'm not getting a constant acceleration either. Slow to start then, wham! Puff of smoke and full power. Going to have to check the VIN now as it's a 2010MY. Though it was split new. Do we know if their is a recurring fault around the primary turbo?

It seems awfully coincidental that as I was driving it half an hour ago, I was thinking "primary turbo's not working" and then came across this thread!

Mark

Post #6890973rd Sep 2010 4:24 pm
jwph

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Hi - mine got partly resolved through checking all pipework to solenoid valves. I discovered that apparently part of the solenoid valve update is to check that there is suction pressure on the stub end of the pipework - this wasn't present on mine when I returned the vehicle. The mechanic told me he followed all the pipework to ensure there were no "kink" and then reset factory settings on the ECU and then that seemed to do the trick. I still have intermittent problems, but have needed the vehicle in the last few weeks too much to leave with them to do further investigation. Is going in for its 12 month service late next week and I am going to ask them to reset again and check pipework again. They also did some transmission updates which may have helped it hunting down two gears to get going even under gentle acceleration.

Post #6894765th Sep 2010 5:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >