Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

D4 V8 intermittently stalls at idle, 4x4i screen pops up.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
bastardo

New Zealand 2013 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
D4 V8 intermittently stalls at idle, 4x4i screen pops up.

Im totally lost on this one.
I have a 2015 D4 with V8. Occasionally at idle it stalls, battery and engine light come on. I can immediately restart and it may idle a couple seconds or minute and than stall again. Does not stall above 1100 RPM or so or if driving unless the rpm drops low like in parking lot.

I have scanned and see no fault codes. Sometimes when this happens the 4x4i screen pops up or special programs screen and message "special programs are off"

I changed the filters to K&N approximately 4-6 weeks prior to the initial issues. I cleaned the MAF, tried with MAF unplugged

Its almost as if it bogs down, and sometimes a blip of the throttle can prevent it stalling but sometimes not even that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just moved to Pittsburgh PA from New Zealand and had the same car there but the TDV6 and the LR dealer I used was great, however no luck in Pittsburgh. Absolute disaster at A&L which is the dealer here. There is one more I can try however I thought the forums with luck would be better..

Thanks all

Post #207561712th Aug 2019 10:03 pm
dewillia

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Could well need a new battery, LR and Jags are susceptible to issues thrown up by poor battery charge

Post #207579213th Aug 2019 5:30 pm
bastardo

Any others

Hey all,

Anybody else have any suggestions? I’ve ordered a set of OEM filters to try instead of the K&N filters.
Car died on me today while pulling out and almost got taken out by truck, after that I am done driving it until I can figure this one out. Too damn dangerous.

I’m still not getting any fault codes.

I have a GAP diagnostic tool, anyone can suggest what live values I could look at to aid diagnosing??

Thanks

Post #207699819th Aug 2019 12:56 am
bastardo

PCV Valve?

Finally got in at a different dealer. Short time later they rung and said it was the PCV valve. Replacing o-rings, and recommend a valve clean?

Any experience with this?

Quoted about $500

Post #207864426th Aug 2019 10:31 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

Had this some years ago but my PCV has lost its values and it required reprogramming and a soak test. That fixed it with no further issues.

Post #207865127th Aug 2019 4:51 am
bastardo

Problem not solved.

Dealer changed the PCV valve and did a clean. Problem still persisting.
They rung back and said they opened a ticket with Land Rover.
Today they got back to me and said it is in the engineer wiring harness over by the fuse box. It’s a junction box.
Unfortunately they do not have any available and no plan to make any more.

So the dealer says come get your car.

Am I really stuck with a yard ornament? I thought I could go to wreckers to find one but dealer says it has to be off one with all the same options.

I’ll pick up car later today and try to get more details.

Post #207933929th Aug 2019 6:38 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

Not sure what they are on about when they say Engineer harness unless it’s a type O for engine harness?

If it’s the engine harness, that does include the fuse box but what is wrong with it? A decent mechanic should be able to fix it without the need for a whole harness. And if it does need a harness I’m sure they are mandated to provide spare parts for up to something like 10 years after production ceases. They are talking crap and fobbing you off.

Post #207936429th Aug 2019 7:42 pm
bastardo

Body Control Module and Engine wiring harness.

Yeah that was a typo. LR dealer rung back and said they were told 95% likely its the engine wiring harness that is at fault and its specifically the junction box. He mentioned Body Control Module. Says there's like 100 wires going into it. The guy doesn't sound to knowledgable about this.

I won't fully know until I go pick up the car and see the notes. I've asked to include the back and forth details for the LR ticket and what the part number or exact name would be so I can look into it further.

He did say LR told the tech the item is no longer available.

The only other thing I thought of was that when this problem initially happened it was after a trip to NC and I was airing up tires after a short beach drive. I used a portable compressor off the main battery while at idle. The problem of stalling was pretty much from then on.

Anyone think maybe Bell Auto in UK could help or know a local Pittsburgh area auto electrician either. Maybe the BCM can be refreshed or this junction box singled out and tested.

Post #207939629th Aug 2019 8:53 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

They are talking crap. The engine fuse box is attached to the engine harness but is a simple box with wires, BusBars, relays and fuses. The BCM is a second separate fuse box behind the glove box and is the “Body” control module and doesn’t control the engine, that’s the Engine ECUs job. See if you can clarify what exactly they claim you need and we will go from there. They can’t just stop providing parts for a car that went out of production 3 years ago. That’s illegal.

Post #207945330th Aug 2019 4:36 am
bastardo

Engine Bay Wiring Harness

The LR dealer had me thinking the whole time its the "engine" wiring harness. It turns out they are telling me it's the Engine Bay wiring harness. The LR part number is LR029790. I can't find one available anywhere and every place is saying it is VIN specific and 12-16 weeks from LR if ordered. I've been quoted as high as $1900 for the harness and $3000 for the labour. WTF.
Anybody have any familiarity with this harness? They are saying indeed this one has the "junction" box the wires go into. Somewhere around the fuse box the dealer said??
Attached is the invoice, on it they explain what they did and than say the opened a TECH CASE. I did manage to get the case number, however no idea what to do with it.
The tech says he unbolted and opened the "BJB" and jiggled bus bar, engine did not shut off.

Does anyone know what the BJB is? I'm thinking if this is something repairable I'd rather do that.

Any help much appreciated.

Post #20809854th Sep 2019 8:44 pm
cobra

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Have you cleaned the throttle body? Inside gunk can build up sufficiently that at idle the small gap that is supposed to be left by the butterfly valve is almost blocked, effectively choking the engine. I had this on mine. I am assuming the d4 engine is very similar.

Post #20809934th Sep 2019 9:11 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

BJB IS Battery Junction Box

If you follow your big red pos wire from the battery into your engine bay fuse box you should find you can pop the top off to see the fuses and relays. Now you can release that deck and see the wiring and busbar in there. They have obviously found an issue with a connection but rather than invest the faulty connection they want to replace the whole loom which isn’t avsilable.

Now you could either try and locate and then fix the fault or see if another loom variation is available. If you don’t have surround cameras, see if the loom with the wiring for cameras is available instead etc. There’s dozens of variations so there maybe one that will fit yours and have wiring for extras you don’t have but that’s not an issue, you just leave connectors unconnected or taped back.

I personally would lift that deck and wiggle the bar until you get a result.

Post #20809994th Sep 2019 9:46 pm
bastardo

BJB

Thanks mate,
I've taken the lid off the fuse box, I see the red lead that goes into there. I disconnected battery and that lead. When I try to lift the fuse box deck it lifts up and there's a Censored ton of wires coming up from harness and connecting all into it.

Is this the Battery Junction Box as described. Not sure what to do to fault find in there. Have it running and wiggle wires as the tech did? He said he wiggled the bus bar, is that just the red lead where it connects?

thanks

Post #20810044th Sep 2019 10:49 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

The bus bar is the where the power lead connects to a distribution bar. Every circuit needs power so a usually copper bar will feed power to each circuit fuse and then it flows onwards into the circuit. If he wiggled the bar and it worked, one of the feeds off that bar is intermittent. You may need to examine each one for signs of something different or wiggle each one in turn. It will be a long and laborious task which is probably why they won’t do it. You could probably narrow it down somewhat by finding what each fuse and relay does and ignore most things that aren’t engine related.

I’d start by just trying to recreate what the engineer did and go from there.

Post #20811185th Sep 2019 12:20 pm
bastardo

SOLVED! Intermittent stalling.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help and advice off this forum.

I did some investigation and could not get it to stall messing with BJB. Did some live values and when I noticed it stalled consistently at idle at approximately 1:10 every go and the values weren’t accurate.

Took it to Wolfe’s Foreign Auto in Pittsburgh area was confirmed to be the fuel sensors. Replaced both and now no stalling.

Pretty stoked for a solution. But can’t believe the dealers missed that after asking both initially if it could be fuel sensors or fuel pump relay.

Post #208305711th Sep 2019 5:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >