Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

D4 Woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

This is a terrible reflection on JLR. If you buy an approved used with warranty, there really should be no argument or discussion. TBH, they should be doing the opposite, and trying to make up to you after selling you a defective piece of kit. Just saying...
 d4 HSE  
Post #184634311th Aug 2017 5:10 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

That's stress you deffinately don't need, you'd have thought the warranty company and JLR would have sorted this out quietly but no, they have to drag you through this mill.

As I understand it, the engine would have a 2 year warranty if you contributed, say, £1. Otherwise no. Simplifying things, if you have the original (or any warranty) and have a new widget fitted 2 days before its end, that widget is only covered for the 2, unless you've paid for it and claimed or payed a contribution. But somehow I doubt LR will let you pay £1 as they know their liability is extended.

How long you had the car? You could reject it as you bought a car with a known defect and is not if reasonable quality under sales of good legislation. Do you have finance? If so, they may be able to put the boot in and get the car rejected.

If JLR says no, they really are taking the peewee. I doubt they would be that stupid but fingers are well and truely crossed for you.

Last edited by DSL on 12th Aug 2017 7:22 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #184634411th Aug 2017 5:22 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

PS What specifically does does your warranty policy say re not covering defects? Having a mooch. Thumbs Up

PPS Found it:

Design Faults and Recalls Any damage to parts, which are being recalled by the vehicle’s manufacturer or which have inherent design faults are not covered by this Warranty

Pt 11 pg 21 https://landrover-extendedwarranty-extend-...ummary.pdf

So you've been sold a vehicle with an inherent deign fault, that certainly should help you reject the car.

Post #184634611th Aug 2017 5:30 pm
Bigcol66

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Surely Land Rover claim the cost of the engines back off Ford who supply the engines?

Post #184637211th Aug 2017 7:00 pm
Jakeboy

Scotland 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Yeah, I would have thought there woild have been a closed doors agreement on this by now.

Unfortunately, bought it outright in Oct 16, so no chance of punting it back easily. I'm reasonably confident that JLR will see sense and fund the repair as we are squeaky clean on everything i.e. servicing as it was done by LR when we bought it as well as first MOT so nothing required until this Oct. What else could we possibly have done, or not done, that would result in this type of component failure? If it wasn't maintained or tamperfered with (like my D3 EGR's etc. Whistle ), then there may be a reason to reject a warranty claim but the car is untouched since it left the forecourt, other than diesel, tyre air and washer fluid.

Interesting about paying £1 to get the 2 year warranty on the engine, perhaps I'll offer JLR a "goodwill gesture" to ease their burden Rolling with laughter

Andy- My mid life crisis has well and truly kicked in as I've now viewed 4 Boxster S (986's) and without yet purchasing one, I'm already fretting about the IMS worries I will have! Hats of to our American friends who brought about the class action against Porsche on that one. Watch out for them doing similar for this issue - unless of course they won't want to Censored in their own patch given it is a Ford engine.

Post #184637711th Aug 2017 7:23 pm
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

You can reject it still, it's just that after 6 months the burden falls on you to prove that it's faulty / not fit. But if the warranty company are not paying out because it's a known issue from their point of view it makes the argument easier I would have thought.

See what offer you get Monday, you can also talk to LRCS yourself to see if that helps. I've mixed views on their effectiveness.
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY12 D4 HSE - been and gome
MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #184638011th Aug 2017 7:34 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

I have a MY2010 HSE that I've owned for five and a half years (previous owner (from new) was a member of this site), and whilst I've loved it, due to age it's time to move on (it's only covered 68,000 miles). I was intending to look at another D4, but judging by what's going on, and JLR's total arrogance I think it might be time to look elsewhere!

JLR, you are a disgrace!!

Post #184638611th Aug 2017 8:07 pm
Bigcol66

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Maybe the engine troubles need to be made more public such as contacting BBCs Watchdog programme.

Post #184639011th Aug 2017 8:19 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Lost count of the amount of phone calls I have had from 3.0 owners, all with snapped cranks...

JLR's response all seems to be the same story, goodwill between 25/50%, and refuse to budge from that
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #184642611th Aug 2017 9:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

What MY is the car?

Post #184648912th Aug 2017 10:00 am
DSL

Ukraine 

2013 according to the Jake's profile. Sad

Post #184649012th Aug 2017 10:05 am
julianf7

2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

This makes interesting reading for someone with a newly acquired MY13 D4.

Question for the OP: am I correct in reading that this is a LR approved vehicle, and therefore a LR selected warranty, albeit administered by CarCarePlan?

Question for all: surely in this case there would be an argument that JLR have knowingly sold it with a warranty that is not fit for purpose? One might argue that that this is misleading at best, and downright mendacious at the other end of the spectrum?

Post #184654312th Aug 2017 12:35 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Jakeboy wrote:
Now the good bit - despite having the LR 2 Year used approved warranty, the warranty company have refused to cover the claim as this is a known issue with certain of these engines, with associated TSB's etc. Sad Big Cry Presumably referring to the known crank/bearings issue?

I wonder if they are referring to SSM71816, which is only supposed to cover up to (& incl) 2012. If that's the case then it doesn't apply to your car.

If JLR or warranty co don't cover the repair fully, take legal advice on getting the repair done, pay the difference then start proceedings against the supplying dealer through the Small Claims Court. Your contract is with the supplying dealer, not JLR, so it's them you'd have to go after.

Post #184654712th Aug 2017 12:46 pm
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

When I bought my current 2014 at my local LR dealer, I part ex-ed my 2010 with a snapped crank, I was assured that as I had a LR warranty on the new to me 2014 that in the event that the crank snapped (or anything else for that matter) I was fully covered so I could have full peace of mind, so this is an interesting read.

Post #184655312th Aug 2017 1:05 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Can't remember the full details but someone posted a list of all the makes / models this engine and it's close relatives are in.

Are the LR variants suffering more failures than the rest? If so, wtf did they do to cause the issues?

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #184655612th Aug 2017 1:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >