Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

D4 wouldn't start this morning. IId question?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
D4 wouldn't start this morning. IId question?

My 2013 D4 failed to start this morning. I had set the park heat to fire, at 0800, and when I went out to it this morning, and saw a frosty windscreen, I knew it was probably going to be a dead battery.

Jumped started it from another car, and drove to Wales and back. I decided that because I am going away on Wednesday, and leaving the car in the care of swmbo, I would pick up a new battery on the way home. Only choice was Halfords, and after checking on their system, and under the bonnet, I bought an AGM 019 for £175. I declined their offer to fit.

Got home, opened window, bonnet boot, and let it fall asleep. Removed old battery, placed in new and connected it up. All good so far.

Switched ignition on, and started engine, absolutely fine. Volts climbed up to 15, so alternator charging. Set clock and date, set the window one-touch function.

Plugged in IId, and went into Service/reset, Body control, Battery replace ( or words to that effect). Executed the battery replace routine, and it said it finished successfully. All good so far.

A few posts on here, and the chap at Halfords said I would need to set the charge system to accept the AGM battery. Here is my problem, I could not find any reference to AGM on the car config. All I could find was a setting that had all kinds of different amp and crank settings. It was already on the same settings as the battery that came out, and the replacement, but no specific reference to AGM battery?

My car has no stop start, but it seems it already had an AGM from new.

Have I missed something?

Post #187900513th Nov 2017 8:04 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

No I don't think you have Gareth Thumbs Up
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #187901013th Nov 2017 8:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Put a new battery on mine last year just did a straight swap no issues.but I’ve been told that as it’s not a Land Rover one I occasionally get a low battery warning as the system is so sensitive

Post #187901413th Nov 2017 8:13 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Worth putting the new batt on charge overnight then see what the volts from the alternator output is. 15V would be right for a deleted battery but if the batt from Halfords was fully charged it would show the alternator was struggling a bit. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Techie superhero powers to max. Or not!! Laughing Laughing

Post #187902013th Nov 2017 8:26 pm
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

When Robbie somehow checked what my D4 was set to at the factory, he said it was this which is the correct setting for an AGM battery:

Battery H8HD 90Ah 950 Cold Cranking Ampere

Battery Type Battery type 16

I will have a look tomorrow, but there is somewhere in the IID that you can change the battery type fitted.

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #187902713th Nov 2017 8:38 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Cheers Thumbs Up That's the setting I have, but if you could have a look at the other one I would be grateful.

Got another long return run to Wales tomorrow, so should get a good charge.

Post #187906313th Nov 2017 9:06 pm
Dudleydisco

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Gareth, a MY13 would have had an AGM battery from manufacture, so you don't need to change anything in the CCF. You've done the BMS reset, so you're good to go Thumbs Up
As Del says, put the battery on charge overnight. It will take a bit of time for the BMS to adjust to the new battery, so you will probably see swings in the charging voltage from the alternator - probably from about 12.1v to 14.6v as it charges and discharges the battery.
The thing to remember is that the BMS will only charge the battery to about 80%, and it will use the remaining 20% for energy recovery in braking/ coasting. Thumbs Up
 D4 MY14 XXV - RLD/IID BT
D4 MY13 HSE Lux - RLD/IID BT
P38 RR - Sad parting
110 - Even sadder parting
S3 88" - Still going strong after 23 years of ownership Smile

Post #187906413th Nov 2017 9:06 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Gareth, for future reference: https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/
They're on Portwood, opposite the Peel Centre. Thumbs Up
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #187908313th Nov 2017 9:29 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yes I have used that place before. I got my caravan battery from there. I would have gone there this time, but it was gone 5.30 and I was passing Halfords in Handforth anyway. The roads are a nightmare and could taken me an hour to get there!

Post #187909913th Nov 2017 9:57 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

New battery has made a big difference to the car. Timer worked the Fbh this morning. Engine turns over and starts much quicker, even when warm. The Blackvue stays switched on overnight,

Driving along today with my volt meter plugged in, the smart charging is very obvious. From cold the volts were about 15v Constant.

Once the car is warmed up, and cruising along the motorway, If I put my foot down a bit and applied power, they would drop to about 12.3. As soon as you lift off and coast, or touch the brake, it immediately jumps to 14.9, decreasing again if you apply power.

After an hour or so, it all settled at a constant 14.4. I suppose this is the point at which it decides it's fully charged.

I am pretty sure that with the old battery in, it was always running at over 14.8 volts, and not varying with engine power demand.

Post #187948714th Nov 2017 6:53 pm
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Given the number of wise forum members taking part in this topic I will be a bit cheeky and piggyback a related question.
My AGM battery is now 6 years old and although it gives me no problems I think it's time I replaced it with the exact same Bosch AGM - the old one could go in the tintent.
Thing is I don't have access to an IID tool, but wonder whether I could just fully charge the old battery in the car via my exisiting CTEK/tow socket arrangement, as well as fully charge the new battery, and not bother to reset the BMS when I swap them over.
Will this work ?
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #188126919th Nov 2017 4:36 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think you do need to reset it, because the car learns the charging characteristics of your new AGM battery.

The car has smart charging, and varies the charge current as you slow down/speed up. It's a form of regenerative braking putting more load on the alternator and more charge to the battery when the car is decelerating or braking, removing the load and charge when engine is under power. It probably saves a tiny bit of fuel!

Post #188145020th Nov 2017 12:54 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I'll add that I don't think it's a show stopper if you don't reset, but it won't be as efficient as it could be.

Post #188145220th Nov 2017 12:56 am
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up
I'm trying to avoid going to the main agent to get the battery replaced. I'll be paying for too many desk dollies to swan around with clipboards 8)
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #188161720th Nov 2017 12:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >