Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

D4 XXV
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Bluejohn

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
D4 XXV

Hi, I’ve been on the forum for quite a while but not had occasion to post anything interesting. Happy simply to read and absorb the many hints, tips, facts and humour you all seem to have in common. As I virtually share the gestation period and birth of Land Rover as a marque, now being the great age of 70, I was lucky enough recently to acquire an immaculate, low mileage D4 XXV first registered Dec 2014 and now bearing the rather swanky registration 1 XXV.
This is the 7th Land Rover I’ve owned since buying a 1963 Ser 2a petrol swb ht in 1968, which I and my girlfriend (now lady wife) loved, driving all over the UK and Europe until the practicalities of children, business and the looming oil crisis forced economy and replacement weirdly with a Citroen Dyane 6 which, after an extended period of cerebral adjustment and engineering disbelief that anything so flimsy could be so good, came to love this strange conveyance with almost equal passion as the old 2a. I know, I’m a tart, but things were tight and needs must, as they say. Had a few Citroens after that (all good, still weird though), plus Fords and company cars suitable for family and business, but never lost the draw of old LR beckoning from the hills.
We’ve always lived in the Peak District where LRs are ‘de rigueur’, but I have to say the little old Citroens used to plough through, or more likely skip over, the deep snow, seldom coming to much harm. And a Cit BX with top hydropneumatic suspension and snow chains was very impressive, especially when you need to use it every day.
But as economic pressures eased we bought an early 2¼ petrol 110 County in white as my wife’s school bus and horse tug and we seemed to have come home. Of course the bloody thing cost an arm and a leg in fuel, oil, maintenance and frustration. You want to see my little lady (5’0”) lifting a 750 spare wheel off and onto the back door - the language used to frighten the horses no end! It was adapted to unleaded using some crazy alchemy with what appeared to be lead fishing weights in a steel guauze bag in the fuel tank, that worked unbelievably well. That was replaced eventually with a black 110 County TDi that we understood had once been on the Sandringham estate. Then we got really posh with a new D3 SE in Arctic Frost. Later a new D4 XS in Galway Green plus a Freelander 2 HSE Auto SD4 in Black. All good except the MY10 D4 XS from new would, every now and then, smoke like the Censored Red Arrows for 10 seconds or so then stop as if nothing had happened? Of course the lying ‘stealers’ maintained “Oh, we’ve never heard anything like that before” Evil or Very Mad
So now after probably a million miles of driving on and off road in all weathers and now retired, tintent towing and suffering from a tricky case of big C which can, and does, turn nasty, we’ve got this paragon of the Discovery genre the XXV.
It is of course in Causeway Grey with Cirrus grey Windsor leather and has every conceivable extra that the D4 could ever have. I’m taking a night-school course to read and understand the handbook, all of which applies to this car! But it is a gem! I put the grandkids in black bin bags before they get in, only leaving their heads out to watch TV & DVDs on the headrest screens - not really but sorely tempted with the sticky little b*****s. It’s only got 17k on the clock and it seems superb in every department - apart from voice tags, but they were always a bit of a joke!
So give us a wave if you see 1 XXV swishing swankily south-westwards or anywhere for that matter. I may acknowledge with a lazily elevated digit if I can be arsed - No sorry, as a newbie I’m pushing my luck here! - I’d love to hear from anyone whose interested in my little history.

PS: A nice lady at customer relations at JLR kindly researched the details of the XXV for me and found that there were 1,510 XXV Discovery 4s sold globally, of which 216 were sold in the UK. She also sent me the XXV brochure PDF which shows them listed at an unbelievable £64,790!!! Very Happy
 One Life... Get One!
LR History
Ser 2a Petrol 1960s ❤️
110 County Petrol 1980s 😊
110 County Diesel 1990s 😊
D3 SE 2006-9 😍
D4 XS 2009-14 😍
FL2 HSE 2014-17 🤫
D4 XXV 2017... ❤️💕💋 

Post #194851627th May 2018 3:33 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

What a story, thanks for sharing Thumbs Up

Very sorry to hear of the “big C”, but so many happy times relayed there too.

I no longer have a D4 myself, but it will always be one of the very best cars I’ve ever owned (along with 3 hydraulically suspended big Citroen’s, funnily enough Wink ) and I hope to see 1XXV on the road one day Very Happy
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #194851727th May 2018 3:44 pm
NavyDoc

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Photos please or else it didn’t happen. Sounds awesome. Thumbs Up

Post #194851827th May 2018 3:47 pm
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Welcome to the club im running K4 XXV plate and theres 6/7 other owners on here (just do a xxv search )

Wanted D4 xxv but its on a clapped out audi in Reading last time i heard Shocked

All the best with your fight with the C. Thumbs Up
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #194852127th May 2018 3:54 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Its still on the Audi but no tax, no MOT and no Ins. Shocked Shocked

XXV1 is on a 6 year old FFRR. Whistle

Post #194852927th May 2018 4:29 pm
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I'm in....
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #194862728th May 2018 6:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
XXV

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Blue John

Welcome to Disco4.com Elite Tier level. You will have to get used to the high levels of jealousy and envy of the lower Tier Levels.

dgardel

That's not a XXV the steering wheels on the wrong side Rolling with laughter

Post #19497331st Jun 2018 5:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >