Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

D5 rear (2nd row) seats - design fault?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Well, I've just purchased an XC90,

I've just had a weekend in one and it was more comfy and most importantly I felt safer, the D5 I had for the best part of 4 days on loan and the major bug bare for me was, seat squabs in the 2nd row. My Son sits in there and he's growing very quickly, there's no support under his thighs what so ever and he informed me that he couldn't get comfy so I swapped him round with the Mrs driving back from the coast and she wasn't at all happy with the seating arrangements in the 2nd row 35" inside leg...... I understand that it isn't an issue for most as not everyone is over 6' but standing beside the car and just looking in the seats appear "to me" to be an after thought.

My previous Disco's have all benefitted from the stadium style seating, if's just a shame that this latest incarnation has dropped it from its selling point.
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #179165514th Mar 2017 11:38 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Funny you should say that. I've just come off the phone with my best mate from school. He has a fully loaded MY2016 D4 HSE. Unfortunately his wife is one of those people that has to have the latest 'anything' so wants a D5. Rolling Eyes

Last weekend they borrowed a D5 for four days and did nearly a 1000 miles in it. My mate and his wife were smitten: Fantastic car, beautifully made and great kit. They both loved it, however, the kids did not! All three hated the rear seats and spent the weekend complaining and refusing to travel in it if they bought one. My mate and his wife are gutted and are now figuring out what to do. However, despite my best counselling telling them to stick with the D4, they are adamant that they have now started on the replacement route so will continue. The rational - better fuel economy Laughing This weekend they have a Volvo XC90 T8 so we'll see how they get on.

Personally, i think they are daft. The depreciation and cost to change from the the D4 to anything similar, will never in a million years be recovered in better fuel economy. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I thought it interesting how the rear seats keep popping up. Mind you, I've just spent £8k on what i think are two of the most uncomfortable sofas ever, and his kids love them! Confused Laughing So its all subjective, but it does seem to be a recurring theme.

So D5 chaps keep us posted, it'll be interesting how peeps get on with it longer term and the mileages rise. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #179165915th Mar 2017 12:13 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Intersting observations

Interesting user findings.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #179171315th Mar 2017 8:44 am
Bello35

France 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I tried one XC90 with the intention to maybe buy it but there was no armrest on the drivers seat!
I didn't know what to do with my arm as i drive relaxed with only one hand especially on a motorway...i couldn't feel comfy. Sad
I guess i've been spoiled with the confort of a D4...I love it's driving position Wink

Post #179175715th Mar 2017 10:54 am
oop north

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4

I sat in second row of a D5 this week and found it uncomfortable due to lack of support under thighs and feet feeling too high - but then I thought I should sit in the second row on my D4 to compare (I normally sit in just the driver seat). And found that just as uncomfortable! So am not quite sure what to make of this - though I did sit in second row of Discovery Sport and that was much better...

Post #179249817th Mar 2017 9:56 am
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I sat in the back of a D5 & can rest my chin on my knees

Post #179360719th Mar 2017 6:38 pm
Swiss4x4

So what do you think went wrong with the design of the 2nd row? It's not like LR don't know how to make nice comfy back seats (DS, RRS, FFRR, etc). Why do you think the rear seat cushions in the D5 are so low?

Is it the position of the structural support between the glass plates in the roof? The strange positioning of the glass roof in the D5 (offers almost no nice skylight to 2nd row passengers, mainly just 1st and 3rd row) is, I think, because that's where they have the 'Discovery signature step' in the roof-line, so it couldn't be a nice single piece like the RRS. I find that really annoying as the single piece of glass that the RRS has makes it a much airier cabin, and also provides better headroom / higher seating as there is no big cross support like the D5 has. For me, a stepped roof with no benefit is a dumb design feature. Maybe Gary McG just loves that look from the Talbot Rancho, so had to carry it over from the D1/2/3/4 to the D5.

Click image to enlarge

Or is it nothing to do with the roof, but to do with the boot floor height, when the seats are folded down flat they wanted the load space as big as possible. But what difference would 30mm make? Not much.

So where did it go wrong? Is there another possible reason? For me, I am just really disappointed with the 2nd row, as I could have lived with everything else I was not really keen on, and the things I like (like the front seat area), I like a lot. Now I have to look at Swedish cars!

Big Cry

Post #179362119th Mar 2017 6:59 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

Saw a....

Maserati Levante in the Victoria centre Leeds...
Beautifully finished F-Pace sized SUV
Back seats (only a five seater) thigh support in abundance...

Very nice vehicle...
 BREXIT - done properly.
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.

Post #179364519th Mar 2017 7:18 pm
110CSW

United Kingdom 

oop north wrote:
I sat in second row of a D5 this week and found it uncomfortable due to lack of support under thighs and feet feeling too high - but then I thought I should sit in the second row on my D4 to compare (I normally sit in just the driver seat). And found that just as uncomfortable! So am not quite sure what to make of this - though I did sit in second row of Discovery Sport and that was much better...

I can see that. I sat in the back of the D5 the other day and was unimpressed, then jumped in the DS and it was great. D4 is better than the D5 but it suffers from the same complaint to a point.

I did wonder why they do not offer electric seat height adjustment as an option in row 2 so you could dial out the problem if you wished. What do people think of this as an option? I would take it over the row three electric theatre if there was a choice.
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #179428421st Mar 2017 11:36 am
eelpout

United States 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyLR4

The reviewer from CarWow specifically mentions the back seat height in his video review. Who knows, maybe he's read this thread. Wink

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by eelpout on 31st Mar 2017 3:27 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #179783030th Mar 2017 5:03 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

That does show quite clearly that you are perched on your 'sit bones' so that all your weight is really on two points and your legs are at quite an angle. I can't imagine that being too comfortable on long journeys.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #179784930th Mar 2017 5:52 pm
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Is it really any different to a D4? I haven't sat in a D5 yet, but I just sat in the back of my D4 and the backs of my legs were not especially supported or at least touching the front edges of the seats?

I've never really spent any real time in the back of a D4 so can't comment on how comfy they are compared to anything else.

I will have to go and poke about a D5 when I get a minute to see what all this noise is about!

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #179785330th Mar 2017 5:59 pm
BLFarrar

Measurements...

My thoughts on this are:
1) it isn't just about the length (front to back) of the rear seat "squab"....the bit of the seat your backside& thighs are rested on...
It's about the distances from the front edge of the rear seat to the (a variable) back of the front seats...
& the hieght of the rear seat "squab" above the vehicle floor.
2) it's usual to put your feet below & under he front seats - dependant on the space between front rear seats decided by & the hieght of the front seat passengers.
The D3/4 seats are far higher off the floor than the D5's....you sit higher so your thighs can be lowered onto the seat "squab"
The D5's is lower....so the seating posture isn't as accommodating specifically uncomfortable....(my thoughts having tried the D5)

Compare this....
D3/4....to lower the rear seats to get a cargo space you fold the seat-back down....then you have to lower the seat.....
On the D5 this isn't done as the rear seats are lower....to achieve the lowered roof line....& no stadium seating.

So if you read the brochure, look at the actual dimensions or look at it the seats & space appear the same
It's the height of the seat that is the difference.....you can't get your thighs lower or stretch your legs any further forwards..

Also to do with the "lifestyle" spec seven seats...
Ok - the D5 had got seven that aren't as accommodating as regards 2nd & 3rd rows.....the second row is compromised by the insistence on the larger third row...... as opposed to 5+2 format on the D3/4....where you have five very comfortable seats....the 6th & 7th are considered supplementary ones....I've done long journeys sitting in mine.....they are quite good.....I & the other 6th & 7th seat passengers weren't permanently injured.

Some D5 buyers have said they won't use the 2nd row themselves or they will be used by children...children usually grow....get two or three uncomfortable teenagers sat there & they will tell the truth, as will normal sized adults. I'm 5ft 10 & struggled the get even a reasonable seating set up for the second row in the D5 I test drive (twice - longish distances)....yes I rode there whilst SWMBO'd drove...she's 5ft 1 with me sat behind her the combination wasn't good.

I've said before I consider & eventually buy a vehicle on function not style....it has to do what I consider the factors that are important or essential to me.
Comfort.......which is being debated right here....it isn't just me thinking this we've all been & tried....electrically foldable seats are a no sence gimmick if the seats aren't comfortable or viable for average sized adults.
Load Carrying.....not comparable to a D3/4....simple facts that can be seen without even using a tape measure
Towing.....at least one is having issues (maybe fixable).... but I seem to recall that before launch "there was an issue" reported on here.....Land Rovers are all about towing...basic feature that was the benchmark other vehicles were compared with. Deployable towbars, nose weight measurement are merely gimmicks if the vehicle, trailer aren't stable on the road.....this is also a potential safety nightmare if the vehicle is used by someone who isn't used to or experienced at towing.

Yes the vehicle is different to look at.....it would be silly if it wasn't but when style affects function it's " Censored about face" the wrong way around.
Yes the vehicle may & indeed will take on other markets , maybe with buyers who aren't bothered, less discriminating or have alternative needs. My needs are quite clear.
Seat comfort, passenger accommodation is a basic - I find it incredible it's so wrong not just slightly wrong.
I've said / predicted elsewhere LR may consider a LWB version that could correct this fault, after all look at RR models launched to fill in range gaps...surely these are also niche markets.

Some have said on here that LR are aiming at mass markets not niche ones with the D5......to me this is achieved more easily & readily by having vehicles built on viable concepts. It's an SUV after all......a vehicle primarily designed to be a workhorse (as D3/4's are), if they get the actual vehicles"right" it will sell.

The D5 not for me.
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #179789730th Mar 2017 7:19 pm
forever

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I am surprised i thought the D5 was for you Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter given how many times you have said the same things Smile

Post #179794130th Mar 2017 8:14 pm
BLFarrar

Forever

Discussion forum.....
Here things are discussed...
Merely adding my thoughts based on what I've seen to those of others....
If the D5 had built on the strengths of the D3/4 I would be considering one as would others on here.
On the whole I'm really dissapointed in what LR have come up with.
Because I'm now not interested in a D5 doesn't prevent me from reading to & adding to threads
I read what's being put in the D5 pages but write on the D3 forum - selectively.
Also it's significant that some others are going & looking & seeing them finding just the same as me.

The D3 i have has been & still very much is an iconic vehicle that has been multi use, proven itself over & over again...zero to do with style, how it looks, bling, & despite it not the latest thing out there it does what it was designed to do in an exemplary manner. Functional.

Strangely the fact that a D5 (in its current form) is there doesn't de value a D3/4.....on the contrary it shows what LR did back then was a brilliant job. When you read the original design concept brochures, function dictated form.
D3 built on the strengths of the D2.
The D5 has gone in another direction entirely.
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #179799930th Mar 2017 10:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >