Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Damaged it
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
quantumjohn

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Damaged it

Like so many others on here I have found my D3 to be pretty invicible in the snow - very impressive even with just scorpions on, although they are fairly new.

However, today was a big lesson in how the nut behind the wheel can make all the difference. Realising the rear could slide sideways as I reversed up a snow covered inclinded and angled driveway I still tried to do it. As you can imagine it did slide sideways and I collected a fence post about a third up the drivers side rear door. Then in my frustration I drove off it - making a single dent a 6 inch gouge.
Big Cry

What a numpty!

I don't do any offroading in it - a forestry commission lane or car park is as much gravel as it sees - but I can certainly see how some offroad driver training would have made me think twice about today's antic.

John

Post #7241171st Dec 2010 9:16 pm
Old Sailor

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

John,

Its not the end of the world, we have all had a post jump out on us at sometime in our driving history!!! Its just the gutted feeling that we get that annoys. Thumbs Up
 Run silent, run deep!! HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Ocelot, Porpoise, Onslaught.

Oh Lord! send down a dove, with wings as sharp as razors.
To cut the throats of men, that sell bad beer to sailors.

VIN 138A476*** 

Post #7241311st Dec 2010 9:33 pm
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

John, I had a 40' tree jump out on me at a camp site in Holland, the car even decided to ignore the parking sensors to make matters worse Whistle
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #7241361st Dec 2010 9:39 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Skips are even worse for attacking the rear of my cars. The parking sensors do a great job of pinging off the skip about a foot below the lip. Why haven't they got vertical ends to save my embarrassment? Embarassed

Post #7242081st Dec 2010 10:54 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

fink yerself lucky, 300k + miles and the wife backs her car in to me n/s front door comin off the driveway before any snow fell last week Shocked

Post #7242511st Dec 2010 11:45 pm
Spencer

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Deep Snow

Hi all, a similar situation today for me, needed try and get out of my drive, it's fairly narrow and slopes to the left a little. At the end I have a right turn and an incline. As I tried the exit from the drive at the end, the car just wouldn't turn up but kept on going straight. I stopped the car but it started to slide to the left towards a wall. Eventually got off my drive but I could not get my D3 up this incline. At one point I thought I'd punctured my door on the neighbors capstone as it slid in to it but fortunately the side steps fended me off it.

I have a question though, what was I doing wrong?
I hear about all others making headway seemingly quite easily yet mine wouldn't go up my road in this snow. I've only had it a week so still getting used to it I suppose and certainly don't know how to get the best out of it!

I had it set in the snow mode but all four wheels were spinning. Snow is about the same as above 20". All tyros are pretty good with loads of tread.
I guess it knocked my confidence a little and I didn't even go back out to it today!!
I'd really appreciate some pointers to ensure I can get my car off the neighbors drive tomorrow!
Thanks
Spencer

Post #7242622nd Dec 2010 12:04 am
Moonie

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

To be honest Spencer the first piece of advise would be to just relax, getting worked up will only make things worse. When theres a break in the weather have a walk out look at where may end up, if thats into the wall then dig yourself an area around the Disco and put all the snow up against the wall to act as a barrier believe me it does work I did it with an Artic and trailer.

Post #7242682nd Dec 2010 12:19 am
haroosh

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Hi spencer,
I have been in some quite challenging situations this week and
Have not yet used the snow option or low ratio yet
But just used old snow driving techniques like low revs
And high gear etc. So far so good but the worst places
Have been snow covered roads that had compacted solid ice
Underneath. Gradually building up confidence but it only
Takes one slide to remind me that car is not invincible but
It is alot better than most other things on the road.

Post #7243212nd Dec 2010 9:15 am
Spencer

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The weirdest thing this morning was that I jumped in the car and the damn thing reversed out of the drive and straight to the top of the road without an ounce of trouble.
I was reading on here last night about the settings and used snow, low ratio and the highest suspension so maybe that's what needed to do.
Thanks guys

Post #7245612nd Dec 2010 5:36 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Every situation is different and the snow conditions will change depending on the temperature, if you have no grip on any if the 4 wheels as you indicated then you are going nowehere I'm afraid no matter how good the vehicle is.

If you are new to it my advice is try and get a bit of 4x4 training as it helps no end to understand some of the basics as well as car specific issues.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #7245632nd Dec 2010 5:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >