DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

dash lights flickering, no starting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
ardler_dan

United Kingdom 
dash lights flickering, no starting

Hi all,

Bit of an issue with a customers RR sport thats been left with me, I went out to it last night to move it into the workshop and all the dash lights were flashing away at me. All flickering at once, kind of pulsing with the key in the RUN position. If you unlock the car, sit in it and press the power to the radio it will sometimes say "Vehicle Fault, System shutting down", this is the only display on the car that is currently working .

Remove key and not a sausage.

Shut all doors, put charger on it thinking battery and come to it this morning.

the battery is not taking any more charge which is nice, but the problem persists. If you arm the alarm whilst sat in the car, and then try to start it, you can SOMETIMES fool it into thinking it's ok, and it will start.

As the car is running slowly different systems come back online, with the dashboard being the last along with the EOBD port.

My Scanner (Snap-on Solus Pro) brings up faults in the transmission module U0128, U0155 and U0126, which are all lack of communication with EPB, Instruments and Steering angle sensor. There is also a recurring fault found in the ABS module U0128, which is the EPB one.

Atm I'm a bit flumaxed by it, we did a preliminary of the wiring on the car yesterday after it was dropped off (having a subwoofer upgrade). which involved removing all the panels from the passenger side of the car from front to back, a little moving of the wiring there and also removing the battery. I must admit noticing a message on the radio yesterday when I set the car to access height before doing any of the work. I cannot 100% be sure but I think it was the "Vehicle Fault, System Shutting down" one mentioned above.

Also may be of relivance is that when you lock or unlock the car the side lights sort of flicker into life, as they flicker a buzzing (like a relay contacts bouncing) can be heard from the fusebox area, I have tried removing all noticable relays but none have done anything of any real merrit. Whilst this buzzing happens the fuses relevant for side lights show a flickering between 12v and ground.

Any help would be greatly appriciated as this is on of my better customers who I really do not want to upset.

Many Thanks

Daniel

Post #55466022nd Nov 2009 9:48 am
kernowexpeditionaryforce

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

nightmare, interesting about side lights flicker etc... by any chance is there an earth stud been left loose (maybe in that rear n/s panel? would explain flickering of the lights and maybe no start as (i think) fuel pump relay is back there....

id certainly check where the power cable comes through the bulkhead, might of snagged part of the loom?

let us know how u get on m8

Post #55467022nd Nov 2009 10:02 am
ardler_dan

United Kingdom 

the car started a minute ago and I took it for a little drive up the lane and back, it drives fine, oother than no dash etc..

as for not starting... it's not cranking, but the fuses in the fusebox relevant for cranking show live when asked.

as for earths, thats my next step I think.

Post #55467522nd Nov 2009 10:15 am
kernowexpeditionaryforce

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

might to worth probing the starter relay contacts in the engine bay fuse box (relay SM) oddly enough just to see what signals ur getting/not getting, really does sound like a few snagged wires in the bulkhead loom tho Sad

would be a major Censored to repair id think, keep me updated m8, im tech manager for a car audio/multimedia etc company called "Turnbulls" down in plymouth, so i feel your pain atm!

Post #55467922nd Nov 2009 10:26 am
ardler_dan

United Kingdom 

well it's one of those relatively easy jobs thats turned into a nightmare, we didn't even probe anything really, just removed all the trim panels, glovebox etc, removed battery to see access to the gromit and left it at that.

I must admit that I did have my hand up behind the interior fusebox, to maybe I've slightly dislodged a plug in there or something...

Post #55468122nd Nov 2009 10:31 am
ardler_dan

United Kingdom 

no loose plugs.

if when you unlock the car using the fob, you try and start it you get nothing on the instrument panel, the car tries to unlock itself and the hazards are alight?

Post #55469122nd Nov 2009 11:13 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Did you move any of the connectors over the NSR wheel arch ?

The 2 big main connectors which connect the chassis and body . I had a chaffing can bus wire there once and caused all sorts of wierd problems , including car not starting .
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #55469922nd Nov 2009 11:34 am
ardler_dan

United Kingdom 

didn't play around past the rear footwell really. Out of interest what colour are the HSCAN and MSCAN wires on these?

Post #55470422nd Nov 2009 12:09 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

If it is still under 3 years, could you not call LRA or will they not come out to an incident like this.

Post #55470522nd Nov 2009 12:12 pm
ardler_dan

United Kingdom 

its on a private plate but its a 2006 vehicle, so sods law it's outside of Land Rover Assist.

I've just got a terrible feeling that if this goes to LR, they'll go "well heres a HUGE BILL for the company that did the work" when it could be something really simple.

Post #55471322nd Nov 2009 12:43 pm
ardler_dan

United Kingdom 

right,

with the engine running, no lights on etc. the dash guages and backlighting for the LCD's flickers on and off at a rate of about 1 flash a second. If you pick the revs up to about 1200rpm it steadys and works as usual except error messages for the suspension etc. If you rev it hard, so that the turbo's really start doing their thing then the dash goes back to being flickery.
Same happens when you rev it, take your foot off the throttle, during the "no throttle" time the gauges flicker.

voltage when on idle is around 13.7-14v but when turned off and surface charge taken off the battery reads around 12.3-12.5 volts which indicates a weak battery to me.. So try the battery from my van (a 019) and it's the same. if you can sit the pedal steady at 1200rpm it's all good but it'll drink fuel like that and obviously isn't much cop with the customer

Post #55476022nd Nov 2009 4:36 pm
ardler_dan

United Kingdom 

new battery fitted, rear number plate light bulb changed.

after a couple of locks/unlocks the car started. It has three lights on the dashboard, which according to the manual are for HDC, DSC, ETC and Brake system (all amber)

I plugged in my Solus which revealed nothing much other than communication faults, borrowed a friends Launch and it came up with a few for the ride height control module.

C1A37 front cross-link valve
C1A38 rear cross-link valve
C1A24 no temperature increase when compressor requested
C1A03 front left height sensor
C1A04 front right height sensor
C1A05 rear left height sensor
C1A06 rear right height sensor
U0122 Lost communication with vehicle dynamics control module
U0416 Invalid data received from vehicle dynamics control module
U0155 Lost communication with instrument cluster control module
U0100 Lost communication with engine control module prowertrain control module
U0126 Lost communication with steering angle sensor module
U0101 Lost communication with transmission control module
U0102 Lost communication with transfer case control module
U1A13 Lost communication with all terrain control module
C1A07 Cross Articulation
U0136 Lost communication with differential control module-rear
U1A14 CAN initialisation failure
U2000 Motor temperature
C1130 Air spring air supply
U0434 Invalid data received from active roll control module (active stabilization system)
C1139 [0, 0,51,39], Please refer to relevant technical manual
C1138 Access switch
C113A [0, 0,51,3a] Please refer to relevant technical manual

it also brought up at least one fault per module regarding software versions, and one where a module had incorrect vehicle VIN data.

it also came with some interesting faults to do with the yaw rate sensor

C1A98 Yaw rate sesnor circuit
C1A97 Lateral Accelerometer circuit

on the live data the car thought it was pulling 292g... which was slightly worrying.

I've also noticed that the vehicle is sitting leaning to the passenger side, with the passenger side at access height and the drivers side at normal/raised height. this does not change with driving where the car feels asif it is riding on it's bumb stops.

I've got a feeling that it's got to be a software fault, he said he's had the message "vehicle lean during corners" or soemthing to that effect, but when left the car reverts back to normal... just my luck it's out of warrenty as well.

Last edited by ardler_dan on 23rd Nov 2009 6:37 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #55526523rd Nov 2009 6:06 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I don't know if it's relevant or not, but ISTR some flickering lights issues when using LED lights in the rear clusters for some people.
As he had those done too?

If he's said he's already been having messages coming up (sounds like ride heights sensor somethign to other) then is he expecting you to be responsible for fixing this issue or are you just trying to get it back to what it was?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #55526723rd Nov 2009 6:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Oh and on the leaning thing, it will self level anyway, so may look right, but the system will measure different readings if you used a Faultmate (for example) then you might be able to calibrate the height differently?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #55526923rd Nov 2009 6:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ardler_dan

United Kingdom 

well he said that he's had the lights come on twice, both times cured with a lock/unlock. whenever we talk he's been calm but the last time he was very blunt and rude.

So far I've supplied an amplifier and subwoofer, fully installed.
carried out extensive diagnostics, removed subwoofer system COMPLETELY and then reinstalled but to no avail. stripped all trim from passengerside of car, inspected wiring harness and also inspected harness at known weak points (rear arch connections, rear light connections, rear lights).
Supplied a new Yuasu 019 Pro battery, as his old battery was showing very low on a drop test. This battery cost £80, I'm willing to pay for half as good will.
I've payed a second auto electrician whom I trust alot to check all my work over, before telling him the faults.. he said "you've spent too much time tidying your wiring!". He tried his launch, which brought up the fault codes above and a few more, his view was that there can be conflicts within the CANBUS network is software updates are not carried out properly. I have full print outs of all my diagnostics and all of his, he is emailing me an engineers report tonight.

As it stands atm the car runs as it should other than the fault with the HDC/special functions which makes me think that the low voltage has just exagerated an outstanding issue which would have come up soon enough without my intervention. As for why the battery has gone, it's hard to say whos fault it is it would only have to go really flat once for it to be in a discharged state and I know the vehicle only travels 10-15miles each day. Hence why I am willing to pay for half the battery.

So as far as I am concerned I've done plenty, but with that if I was on the other side of the fence I'd be slightly upset as well. What I have suggested is that he takes it into LR under the pretense that it has just happened, if they return a fault that is down to my work/doings then contact me and see what I can do; be it either let LR do their work or bring it back for me to remedy. BUT, if it's something such as a software issue, or other fault not related to me then I'm not wiling to dig into my pocket anymore. I'm already loosing money on this job, I've lost three jobs today as being tied up with this one and generally not pleased with it. That is leaving out the fact that I've been doing all this work outside in the cold, rain etc.. Three changes of clothes today, four yesterday and two saturday...

If you think I'm being a bit out of order please say as I'm genuinely seeking advice on the matter and I would hate for my hatred of the cold to be clouding my judgement on the matter.

Many Thanks

Daniel

Post #55528123rd Nov 2009 6:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >