Dead battery.....why?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Camping flattens D3 battery

NickyN wrote:
SNIP

Can it really be that the car systems take so much juice when the car is unlocked then re-locked several times that it fails to start?

SNIP!

Yes!
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #68460521st Aug 2010 7:37 am
Ocsid

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Re: Camping flattens D3 battery

NickyN wrote:

I am completely stumped since other D3s on camp sites don't seem to have this problem.

Can it really be that the car systems take so much juice when the car is unlocked then re-locked several times that it fails to start?

Any advice welcomed!

This "camper" after once suffering the same situation of a dead battery when it was going home time ensures now that the interior lighting is disabled. That has worked. Just hold the overhead light switch in for a few seconds to change between lights coming on or staying off. We also don't overdo the locking and unlocking these days, when we are close enough to the vehicle to be comfortable security wise.

Post #68460621st Aug 2010 7:49 am
NickyN

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks for the advice, I am off to turn the interior lights off for good. Sad

It is just so irritating having to get jump starts from those oriental vehicles..... Big Cry
 ---

Nick

LR History: RR Vogue 1984, 300TDI Disco, Series III (shed on wheels), RR Vogue SE Auto 1995 (LPG), Disco TD5ES 2002,2004 D3 HSE with spots and shiny bits and General AT's. 2013 D4 HSE Luxury. Posh bus. 2015 RRS. 

Post #68463621st Aug 2010 11:10 am
choppa60

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Laughing ahh yes ,camping Rolling with laughter the killer of batteries,just happened to me ,in and out of d3 ,my int lights killed my battery ,just have to start it everyday,it started off a booster pack,refused a volvo though,always carry one now. Very Happy
 2008 ,hse, it does what it says .  
Post #68506323rd Aug 2010 12:05 am
whydahdvr

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3

I've seen that happen over here in the US on camping trips. It's definitely all the electronics, alarm, lights, etc that power-up when you hit the lock/unlock buttons.
What about carrying one of those jumper-battery kits sold at auto parts shops like Checkers, Pep Boys, Autozone, or NAPA? Y'all must have something similar over there.
But definitely limiting the lock/unlock and dropping the lighting will help a huge bit. Unless I leave my camp my truck (or now my LR3) is nearby so I won't bother locking it until the night or if I take off for a bit. My 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe did just fine this way, traveling 10,000 miles and more across the US. One thing I do get, though, is a drain on the battery - sometimes - in damp, drizzly, rainy weather. It must be some sort of electical connection exposed that jumps when their is a lot of moisture around from a light rain over an extended period of time.

Post #68519023rd Aug 2010 1:49 pm
NickyN

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

choppa60 wrote:
Laughing ahh yes ,camping Rolling with laughter the killer of batteries,just happened to me ,in and out of d3 ,my int lights killed my battery ,just have to start it everyday,it started off a booster pack,refused a volvo though,always carry one now. Very Happy

Hmmm, I have a Halfords booster pack which should be man enough for the job but it seldom does the job. I have been removing the caravan leisure battery and jump starting the car with that. Probably not doing the caravan battery much good though. Mutter mutter.
 ---

Nick

LR History: RR Vogue 1984, 300TDI Disco, Series III (shed on wheels), RR Vogue SE Auto 1995 (LPG), Disco TD5ES 2002,2004 D3 HSE with spots and shiny bits and General AT's. 2013 D4 HSE Luxury. Posh bus. 2015 RRS. 

Post #68525323rd Aug 2010 5:21 pm
jkp

Scotland 

Just received my yellow top this morning, so hopefully a job for the weekend to get it in and the split charge up and running Thumbs Up

Post #68525523rd Aug 2010 5:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >