DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Dead Disco
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
chocolademan

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Re: maybe...

BLFarrar wrote:
...I just wondered if the levelling system stays live when the car is parked ?
& it tried to re-level itself.

The suspension "updates" itself after the first 2hrs and then every 6 hrs if my memory serves me right.....

Seem to remember somebody else writing that if theres a problem with the suspension they wouldn't be surprised if the battery is drained after a week.

Crying or Very sad
 Faultmate MSV2 MultiVehicle
D3: Tailgate Actuator DIY: http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...IY%7E0.pdf 

Post #79912922nd May 2011 10:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

It's not that the battery won't take a trickle charge, Lead Calcium has a higher terminal voltage than standard Lead Acid, so it just needs to be trickle charged with a higher output voltage from the charger, it's only a volt or two difference.

Some older style chargers may work OK anyway because they work with a relatively high voltage of 16 volts or more and simply use a switchable resistor in circuit to limit the current, but a modern auto sensing charger should work fine.

The alternator is self-regulating anyway so that won't be a problem - so long as it's working.

Battery terminals are a good place to start checking for loose connections, also follow the earth lead from the battery down to where it connects to the body, it could be loose here too.
 Clive

Post #79913022nd May 2011 10:53 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
I think I have found a cause...

working on the theory that the suspension updating itself may have don the deed....
chocolademan wrote:
The suspension "updates" itself after the first 2hrs and then every 6 hrs if my memory serves me right.....Seem to remember somebody else writing that if theres a problem with the suspension they wouldn't be surprised if the battery is drained after a week.

I checked the car after 6 days parked - the back end seemed a shade lower....started her up, closed the door & the rear suspension levelled up by say a couple of inches...I simply cannot recall if this has been the case over the last while or this is something new...

Suspension all ok when car in normal use goes up down etc & the compressor does this mega fast
I just wonder how the system works (in keeping the car up when parked) & what is specifically wrong now..is this the start of something much more complex (& costly) is it something that may go away or can it be fixed easily

So in effect nothing to do with battery & charging...looking in the wrong place entirely....
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #80006425th May 2011 6:32 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >