Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Deafening screeching from EPB module!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
geoffsnook

Wales 

I had use or a ramp and it was still a pain breaking the silicone sealant around d the EPB box and i had almost a 4 foot breaker bar Rolling with laughter
 Discovery 3 se gone
Range rover sport supercharged here:) 

Post #212237720th Feb 2020 9:27 am
andy.p

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I cant believe how easy it was to strip down the EPB module on the car! I used the wheel well way of doing it! removed the 2 10mm nuts and the 4 13mm bolts using a lot of duck oil! and did'nt break a bolt!I then undid the cable covers by hand!! turned the whole lot around took the lid off the module and to my supprise the emergency release was still attached!!! so released the ER cable disconnected the motor conections and with mole grips on the n/s cable the one with the long thread and water pump pliers on the brass bit,wound the whole thing off and removed the motor to inspect the gears inside the gearbox.
All looks fine but as I have ordered new cogs arriving tomorrow will fit them anyway. So should have it back together over the weekend Bow down
In the meantime getting rid of as much rust as I can from everywhere in the surrounding areas, at least the brake pipes that are prone to rust have been replaced, saved me a job!! lets hope it all goes back together ok and works as it should. Many thanks to everyone for your help and advice and DMs thread on how to wind the EPB back. Thumbs Up
I am however wondering why the thing was locked up as the ER cable was NOT released, that said as per DMs thread it was probably caused by the lack of adjustment and lubrication on the handbrake shoes.
Should I put the shoes and new discs back on the hubs before rebuilding the module! Answers on a postcard Laughing .

Post #212242220th Feb 2020 1:13 pm
Sea Raider

The only thing missing is photos

of you sitting in your deckchair with a smug look on your face smoking a cigar

Well done you, always satisfying when something is easier than expected

Post #212242320th Feb 2020 1:16 pm
andy.p

Sorry Sea Raider about the absence of pics, but trying to beat the rain showers, and kept getting called out for work I forgot to do a step by step photo shoot! but I have got the most expensive umbrella in Stornoway grey Laughing Laughing And the smug look is not quite there yet as I still have to put it back together yet. Will keep you posted on the out come over the weekend, but looking forward to that big cigar!!

Post #212242620th Feb 2020 1:27 pm
geoffsnook

Wales 

Never could understand Why people don’t have there hand brakes adjusted when it’s serviced or at the first noise they here as it usually is because of bad adjustment so on the long run it’s cheaper Thumbs Up
 Discovery 3 se gone

Post #212244920th Feb 2020 2:40 pm
andy.p

Hi All, Update on my EPB module overhaul!!! Rebuilt the module with the new cogs for the motor inside,wound back brass slider, refitted the module made sure everything was latched, tested the thing worked with a power probe and all seemed fine no more screeching, so glued the lid back on and put it back in place! replaced the EPB shoes and fitted new discs adjusted as per Bodsys brake bible all went well. put it all back together and tried to set the bedding in process! Could hear the epb module working nice and quiet now but unable to set the bedding in process! tried multiple times but no success Censored and now i'm getting park brake not working but I can hear it trying to work but it sounds like the Unjamming noise you get when using the IID tool to unjam a stuck EPB. Tried the park brake reset on IID with no sucsess still got red and yellow flashing lights and park brake not working. The car rolls ok and no binding noises and the car does come to a full stop when applying and holding the EPB switch as if doing the bedding in process,however the damm EPB still wont work when stationary but getting the usual noises from the module I have tried the EPB latching/mounting position test on IID but to no avail. Has anyone got any ideas as to what the problem is now!!! If the damm thing unlatched itself when reinstalling the module could this be a possability?

Post #212327523rd Feb 2020 6:15 pm
andy.p

Think I just answered my own question!!! My IID fault log showed EPB fault Emergency release activated park brake not working, must have triggered the ER when spinning the module back in place as I did not pull the ER, Only tried it to make sure it worked when rebuilding the module but it was attached when putting it back in place. Back to the drawing board and another strip down to re attach it Big Cry Big Cry as I have tried so many different ways to get it to work its starting to wind itself up again Censored Censored .

Post #212328823rd Feb 2020 7:47 pm
geoffsnook

Wales 

Whoops bet you wont do that again in a hurry so frustrating Thumbs Up
 Discovery 3 se gone

Post #212329023rd Feb 2020 7:52 pm
andy.p

I just hope the glue/mastic has'nt set too hard! so I can just pop the lid off and re attach the ER bit and wind it back with my power probe as its not making the screeching noise yet!! and do it in situe without taking it of the bracket.

Post #212329123rd Feb 2020 8:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >