Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Dealer scam over MOT and pads
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
StuartK

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Dealer scam over MOT and pads

Just had the Disco in for main dealer service. Final one before warranty runs out so ask them to do thorough check and MOT. Got a call that the front pads are below minimum level and need replacing or it will fail MOT. I checked the pad thickness last night on the basis the dealer would try this rip off and the outside pads both had at least 4mm left. Argued this and he said MOT tester said it would fail …. Had no choice other than to let them go ahead since wife was going to be picking it up. Twisted Evil Got them to put “old” pads in the car. I checked these this evening and lowest material thickness is 3.5mm.Not even starting to touch the wear block. OK its low but I would normally do that kind of maintenance myself, not pay a dealer £180.

An MOT fail if brake performance is poor is not something you could argue about but this just looks like a scam.

I told them about knocking from steering at slow speeds – they said they greased up bushed. MOT Advisory states “Steering rod ball joint has slight play” – service guy did not mention that on phone. At 30k miles is this acceptable? How much play is reasonable?

I plan on taking the pad issue further. Would love to do it face to face but will try on phone first otherwise it’s a day away from work to see them.

Appreciate any views / ideas on how to push the pad / ball joint issue… thanks

Post #44182220th Mar 2009 10:21 pm
Paul.

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Ask the MOT tester to look in his testing manual...

Quote:
Reason for rejection

3.5 Brake Components

f. a brake lining or pad insecure or less than 1.5mm thick at any point
 Cheers Paul

Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #44183620th Mar 2009 10:53 pm
StuartK

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Paul, you’re a star. Searched based on your comment and can now take in a print / extract from the Tester Manual. Dealer does not have a leg to stand on. Will be interesting to see how they react.

For anyone interested the manual can be found on this link.. http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm

thx

Post #44187821st Mar 2009 12:57 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I would go to another dealer.
Either way they should be replacing the ball joints and Lower control arms and bushes. A known issue.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #44189321st Mar 2009 2:10 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

And ask them what they greased......There's nothing to grease. Take em down.

Who are they Question
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #44190621st Mar 2009 8:14 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Steering stops and the caliper slides? There was an issue if the caliper slides not being greased in the factory and sticking.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #44197421st Mar 2009 11:44 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Judging from your location I'm guessing that you used a fairly local dealer, and (from personal experience )there are a plethora of bad ones in that area Shocked ........ Good Luck, make them look stupid, get it sorted, and never use them again. Thumbs Up

Post #44197521st Mar 2009 11:52 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

caverD3 wrote:
Steering stops and the caliper slides? There was an issue if the caliper slides not being greased in the factory and sticking.

The steering stops take seconds and with the age of the car this would have already been done. The calipers should have been done with the brakes. So I still cant see where the charge for greasing come in. Its not a Defender Thumbs Up
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #44198121st Mar 2009 12:37 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

The wear block is the safety warning, so if it hadn't come on it must be OK surely Confused . Otherwise what is the point of the wear warning if it comes on too late to be safe enough to pass a MOT.

Post #44199021st Mar 2009 1:13 pm
davesimmons

Canada 

NAME AND SHAME THE RIPPING BAST*RDS Censored Censored Evil or Very Mad
 Welcome to the Global Warming Corner.  
Post #44199121st Mar 2009 1:13 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I seem to remember that LR recommended minimum pad thickness is 2mm, not the 1.5mm as per the MOT.

Still taking the pi$$ though...are you sure that all pads were at least 3.5mm thick?
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #44199421st Mar 2009 1:30 pm
UNG

United Kingdom 

I've never liked taking a vehicle to an MOT station that does repairs always get the feeling they are trying to generate repair work, even if it passes the MOT they seem to produce a list of advisories to panic those whose vehicle knowledge is limited or non existant
 "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag'em down to your level. It's cheaper".  
Post #44206621st Mar 2009 6:56 pm
LandyPete

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

UNG wrote:
I've never liked taking a vehicle to an MOT station that does repairs always get the feeling they are trying to generate repair work, even if it passes the MOT they seem to produce a list of advisories to panic those whose vehicle knowledge is limited or non existant

I've only just started using the same garage/MOT station as its a mates garage that has just got its MOT station certificate.

Before that, I would only use the independent MOT places - they don't have anything to gain from failing the vehicle and with the older stuff like my 1975 Series 3, they even involve me in the test as they know I do my own maintenance !

If you think that the test was not fair - and they are misquoting the regs - then contact VOSA. They will investigate, and you can see the look of fear when the VOSA Inspector walks into a testing station... Whistle

Cheers

Pete

Post #44322924th Mar 2009 7:35 am
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

There is a number on the back on the MOT certificate, report them.

They will be wishing they had given you a free set of brakes if they cop an inspection.

Make sure you photograph pads and include a ruler etc.

Take the Censored to town.

What is it with the Censored LR network, reading this site they are 90% Censored .

Pom

Post #44325024th Mar 2009 9:39 am
Solihull

2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I had something almost identical wth my 06 Disco which went to $tr4t$tone Solihull for its 45k service and MOT. It had 30k on the clock and was about 10 days before the warranty ran out.

After a prior warning from a friend, I had already changes all 4 pads. Easy job with instructions from this great site. My friend had been stung for all 4 pads on his disco at MOT time. He was a bit cheesed with the 300+ bill.

MOT was carried out by a local garage, NOT $tr4t$tone as I found out later. They subbed it out to an independent about 5 minutes walk from my house! Remark on MOT sheet said "slight play in n/s track rod end". I took this up with the dealer who told me it was well within tolerance and if it had needed replacement under the warranty, they would have done it. I have noticed the car pulls a little to the left when driving.

Having gone for the Tesco Finest warranty, I suppose it would be replaced when it goes "out of tolerance"?
 D4 HSE MY2013 Grey  
Post #44329824th Mar 2009 11:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >