Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Dealership & Sponsor Feedback

Dealers in Edinburgh
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Devil's Refugee

Dealers in Edinburgh

Hi,

Can anyone post experiences of the two main dealers: Stratstone (- formerly Vardy I think) and Pentland LR ?
Considering taking the plunge finally, might wait for the facelift next year but forearmed is forewarned in case there are problems and I have to rely on the dealership to sort them.

Post #22820026th Nov 2007 2:05 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

I got a good deal when I bought mine last year from Pentland. I tried Stratstones in Cupar but they just did not seem interested in doing a deal. Worked out that the deal from Pentland saved me about £5,000. Not so good for warranty work though, dont seem to care much about the customers car, mine came back covered in mud on the inside !!!

Post #22821926th Nov 2007 2:48 pm
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

We used the Pentland Land Rover (Lanark Road) for 2 years immediately after buying the car (from a different dealer, down south in Bury) and changed to Stratstone after this period due to the following reasons:

-Pentland were incompetent at fixing the (numerous) faults with the D3.
-They would not order in parts which they had promised.
-Time after time they would do further damage to the vehicle when it was in getting fixed. The car was in to get its brake pads replaced - these took about 2-3 weeks to come in, in the meantime they broke the Sat Nav, Phone, Brake lights, and still hadn't fixed the original fault.
-They would keep the car in for weeks on end doing absolutely no work to it.
-No courtesy cars were given during the period (over a month in total) that it was being fixed. No taxis were paid for either.
-On complaining about the poor service, our letter was completely ignored. Again when it was sent my e-mail, fax, and physically handed in to the dealer.
-The dealer will only help you if they think there is a high probability of getting some of your money.
-The 2/year service cost £800.

However, I've heard from other people that they have had very different experiences from Pentland Confused

We moved to Statstone as a result of this treatment. Since, all the cars faults have been brushed up and it's worked beautifully since then. They also collect the car from our driveway when it need to go into the garage, drive it there, fully valet it after fixing, and return it back into the driveway. They've been pretty good.
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #22829226th Nov 2007 6:19 pm
Devil's Refugee

That's interesting. I've been to them both (once to Pentland to discuss purchasing the previous gen Disco, and to Stratstone to test drive and discuss purchase of the D3)

I have to say Pentland gave the impression of being very aloof, almost above the customer (unless you were buying a RR in which case you were crawled all over) I test drove the TD5 along with my wife and 6 month old son and the salesman seemed 'inconvenienced' at me bringing the baggage with me.....the deal was also non existent in terms of flexibility.

Stratstone on the other hand bent over backward to welcome me to Disco ownership, accommodating at that point in time myself, wife, 3 year old and a 6 month old this time, the salesman helping me sort out the car seats from car to car. He took the time to chat whilst on the test drive about ME, not just the car which was pleasant. Perhaps a different sales technique but finding out about me, the family and why we wanted one rather than focusing on the car itself made it more a personal experience. He also was prepared to match various internet deals.

I would definitely recommend them over Pentland in this regard. I cannot obviously comment on the servicing aspect, but it's good to know that the after sales service seems to be followed up in the same way.

Oh, I'm 35, own a consultancy business and I wore jeans and a t-shirt to both dealerships. It makes me smile how I get ignored by some dealerships when I turn up in casual dress when I'm actually on the hunt for my company car.

Post #22835026th Nov 2007 9:13 pm
jkp

Scotland 

I cannot comment on Pentland, but I bought my D3 from Rossleigh (now Stratstones) nr Portobello.

My personal experiences of Stratstones as an after sales experience is pretty p Censored ss poor. So far up themselves that they poke out their own ears.

I will not be back there in a hurry. I use Taggarts in Motherwell for my servicing and any other work. Totally different attitude to customers.

I think with Stratstones, they believe they are the big boys and they dont need your custom, so they wont be getting it Censored Censored Censored

Post #22837826th Nov 2007 10:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Devil's Refugee

Would seem a fairly mixed bag. Although one thing is clear: Edinburgh Land Rover dealers seem to be up themselves generally

Post #22847227th Nov 2007 7:24 am
Doctor Diesel

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

have to admit have had bad experiences with both the Glasgow dealers also. Crap service and a really supercillious attitude, though taggarts did pay attention once I used Dr instead of Mr !!

I voted with my feet and wallet and made the trip to lakeland----fantastic in all regards and a nice wee run,125 miles is nothing in the grand scheme of things.
 2007 HSE Java Black.....sold
2007 B150 Horizon Blue
2008 Toyota Aygo Platinum

--------------------------------------------------
The Master of Suave !

Ding-Dong Matron 

Post #22847427th Nov 2007 7:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >