Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Dealership & Sponsor Feedback

Dealership relationships
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
christoff

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Dealership relationships

Hi guys - hopefully someone will have experience of this or be close enough to the inner workingsd of dealerships to answer this one.

Imagine 2 dealers - one on the south coast and one in sctoland. They are not part of the same dealer Group, and could be independents. The dealer in Scotland has a car that I like the look of, but dont want to travel to Scotland just to look around a car and kick some tyres.

Can I go to my imaginary south coast local dealer and ask them bring the vehicle to me without any commitment to buy - or am I asking to much?

I'd be unwilling to part with any hard earned non-refundable deposit until I've at least taken the car for a bit of a drive.

Great forum by the way - plenty of activity and irreverence. Almost a reason to own a disco in itself (I could always pretend).

Post #1643105th Jun 2007 5:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Hi Christoff ..and welcome.

To be honest I would think that what you are asking for is a very tall order. Afterall put yourself in their shoes ...would you do it? ??
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #1643185th Jun 2007 5:24 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

Christoff - I was in a very similar situation recently. I found a D3 I liked the look of on the 'net which was 200miles away.

Basically, I spoke at some length to the LR sales person and agreed to leave a £500 (refundable) deposit on the vehicle. I asked probably every conceivable question I could think of, and we agreed that if I travelled to view the car and it was NOT as described by them they would refund my travel costs and the deposit!

When I visited it was in excellent condition Very Happy , description was spot-on and I actually found it had 3 extra bits (side steps, DVD and iPod system) included in the price.

I also managed to haggle the price (which was very attractive anyway) down by (not a lot) £500 and got a few other extra bits included in the deal.

(see my gallery for pics)

Post #1643365th Jun 2007 6:01 pm
JMC

Scotland 
Re: Dealership relationships

christoff wrote:
Can I go to my imaginary south coast local dealer and ask them bring the vehicle to me without any commitment to buy - or am I asking to much?

Welcome to the forum Christoff.

Your question makes me realise why some dealers seem to treat potential customers with contempt. It would be difficult enough to get a national dealership chain to do this for you - never mind independents. Perhaps you could nip into a south coast yacht chandlers for me and ask them to sail a boat up to Scotland so I can flap the canvas without obligation Laughing

I suppose - If you don't ask.... Whistle Wink
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #1643385th Jun 2007 6:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
christoff

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yeah OK JMC - I take your point. Confused

I think Lexus arrange local access to any vehicle within their approved used car programme, just wondered if LR did the same - maybe I should have just asked that question Whistle

My real situation isnt as geographically dramatic as my first post. However, I'm interested if any dealers have sourced a LR from another dealer on behalf of a customer though - with or without a deposit.

Keep up the sarcasm!
Christoff

Post #1643685th Jun 2007 7:28 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

christoff wrote:
I'm interested if any dealers have sourced a LR from another dealer on behalf of a customer though - with or without a deposit.

Keep up the sarcasm!
Christoff

Yes they will
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #1643715th Jun 2007 7:32 pm
Lakeland Land Rover

United Kingdom 

with our location here over 50% of the cars we sell are sold un seen Shocked be it the customer not comming here, or us buying a vehicle in for them or both. trust also plays a part in this and i think it is easyer to trust one of the independant dealers thansome of the big chains.

what i would say is get pics e-mailed, and eimail pics of yours strike a deal up over the phone and get them to deliver it (eg i am delivering one to near Brighton next week and picking up her new trailer on the way Whistle ). if it is not as described when it lands don't accept it or chip the price accordingly. any dealer / sales person worth his salt would
A) Do this
B) Be used to doing this to get deals
and
C) should make sure the vehicle is prepared better than it would be (or checked over) if you were going to the dealer.

or

if you still want to see it first get them to bring it to you / meet them half way (easyer to get a dealer to do this if you have agreed a deal in principal over the phone)
 Lakeland Land Rover
The Garage,
Torver,
Coniston,
Cumbria,
LA21 8BJ
Tel: 015394 41888 

Post #1645506th Jun 2007 8:33 am
Lakeland Land Rover

United Kingdom 

What are you looking for and can i help?

PM me if you would prefer Thumbs Up
 Lakeland Land Rover
The Garage,
Torver,
Coniston,
Cumbria,
LA21 8BJ
Tel: 015394 41888 

Post #1645526th Jun 2007 8:35 am
Mike Jeffs

United Kingdom 

I completely agree with Lakeland. With the internet what it is now, we find we are delivering more and more Land Rovers further afield.

As a responsible dealership, we endeavour to ensure that the customer has a very accurate description of the vehicle right down to the last chip.

We do not take non-refundable deposits from potential customers until they have seen, touched and driven the vehicle. We have always been more than happy to take a vehicle to the customer, wherever they may be, to show them a vehicle if necessary.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Mike Jeffs
<snip>

[Please observe the commercial posting rules]

Post #1645956th Jun 2007 10:59 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

The comparison with Lexus is a bit wide of the mark, as Toyota own the Lexus dealerships whereas LR dealers are franchises.

I used the presence of similar cars elsewhere in the country to beat my local dealer down on price. There were 3 or 4 cars that ticked all the boxes and they all had extras over and above the "essentials" I had drawn up. Local dealer was adrift by a good couple of grand based on two of the others, so I got him to beat the lowest price in exchange for an immediate deposit and signed order. As I pointed out to him, I'll put myself through significant inconvenience by driving a few hundred miles on a Saturday morning if the end result is an extra few grand in my bank account.

It also rather depends on what you are after; if your tick-list includes privacy glass or a tow pack, remember these can be added at any point for around £300 each. Other options have to be there from factory. If you find a car locally that ticks all the factory-only boxes but is missing something you can have added after-market, go for the local car and use the presence of a fully-specced model a couple of hundred miles away to negotiate on the extras.

can't help thinking there are a few dealers out there who are going to give me a slap if we ever meet....... Mr. Green
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #1645976th Jun 2007 11:03 am
JMC

Scotland 

Mike Jeffs wrote:
If Lakeland cant find it for you, we will

This forum is entitled 'Dealership Feedback'. With the best will in the world, I don't imagine anybody is keen to see it develop into Dealership self promotion. Mad Mr Jeffs, I'm sure you understand that Lakeland enjoy privilege here due to their patronage of the site. I do not think you should be undermining that (tongue in cheek or otherwise), unless you are sending Stratstone cheques to the site owner.
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #1646036th Jun 2007 11:30 am
Mike Jeffs

United Kingdom 

JMC

As you rightly stated, it was "tongue in cheek", we actually have a very good relationship with Lakeland!!!

With regard to your comment about this not being a "Dealership self promotion" site, again, I could not agree more.

I would, however, suggest that you take the time to read other posts and replies I have contributed to the forum over the past 12 months or so. I think you will actually see that I do not self promote. Also, please note the positive threads regarding this dealership without one negative.. I think it is fair to say that our customers do that on our behalf.

Christoff wrote
Hi guys - hopefully someone will have experience of this or be close enough to the inner workingsd of dealerships to answer this one.

If you read my reply again, you will actually find I was actually trying to help this guy as I am certainly close enough to the inner workings of a dealership... After all, I run one!!! I ended the post "Hope this helps"

If you do not want any dealership feedback, I accept that but there is no need for you to have a dig at someone who is trying to be informative.

Regards
Mike Jeffs (not Mr Jeffs)

Post #1646186th Jun 2007 12:48 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Thud
Wasn't me who removed part of your post so I'm obviously not alone in my thoughts. Furthermore, I wasn't 'having a go' (other than upholding site commercial posting rules) and I can only suggest that your time would be better spent trying to get the bulk of Stratstones dealerships to 'help their current customers'. From what I have read on this forum, they need that help more than Christoff does Laughing
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #1646276th Jun 2007 1:09 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mike your contribution to the site is very welcome and hopefully it will continue Thumbs Up I removed the spot of free advertising at the end of your post and I'm sure you'll understand why
 The End  
Post #1646286th Jun 2007 1:14 pm
Mike Jeffs

United Kingdom 

Hi Clint,

Many thanks, I appreciate your comments.

I suppose I am going to have to send you a cheque now Very Happy

Regards
Mike

Post #1646376th Jun 2007 1:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >