Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Dear Employee
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JMC

Scotland 
Dear Employee

(translated from American for the benefit of all Wink )

To All My Valued Employees,

There have been some rumblings around the office about the future of this company, and more specifically, your job. As you know, the economy has changed for the worse and presents many challenges. However, the good news is this: The economy doesn't pose a threat to your job. What does threaten your job however, is the changing political landscape in this country. Shocked

However, let me tell you some little titbits of fact which might help you decide what is in your best interests.

First, while it is easy to spew rhetoric that casts employers against employees, you have to understand that for every business owner there is a Back Story. This back story is often neglected and overshadowed by what you see and hear. Sure, you see me park my Mercedes outside. You've seen my home at last years Christmas party. I'm sure all these flashy icons of luxury conjure up some idealized thoughts about my life. Rolling Eyes

However, what you don't see is the BACK STORY :

I started this company 28 years ago. At that time, I lived in a bedsit for 3 years. My entire living apartment was converted into an office so I could put forth 100% effort into building a company, which by the way, would eventually employ you.

My diet consisted of Pot Noodles because every penny I spent went back into this company. I drove a rusty Toyota Corolla with a defective gearbox. I didn't have time to meet women. Often, I stayed home at weekends, while my friends went out drinking and partying. In fact, I was married to my business -- hard work, discipline, and sacrifice. Big Cry

Meanwhile, my friends got jobs. They worked 40 hours a week and made a modest £25K a year and spent every penny they earned. They drove flashy cars and lived in expensive homes and wore fancy designer clothes. Instead of hitting the High Streets for the latest hot fashion item, I was trolling through the discount store extracting any clothing item that didn't look like it was birthed in the 70's.

My friends refinanced their mortgages and lived a life of luxury. I, however, did not. I put my time, my money, and my life into a business with a vision that eventually, some day, I too, will be able to afford these luxuries my friends supposedly had.

So, while you physically arrive at the office at 9am, mentally check in at about noon, and then leave at 5pm, I don't. There is no "off" button for me. When you leave the office, you are done and you have a weekend all to yourself. I unfortunately do not have the freedom. I eat, and breathe this company every minute of the day. There is no rest. There is no weekend. There is no happy hour. Every day this business is attached to my hip like a 1 year old special-needs child. You, of course, only see the fruits of that garden -- the nice house, the Mercedes, the vacations... you never realise the Back Story and the sacrifices I've made.

Now, the economy is falling apart and I, the guy that made all the right decisions and saved his money, have to bail-out all the people who didn't. The people that overspent their wages suddenly feel entitled to the same luxuries that I earned and sacrificed decades of my life for.

Yes, business ownership has is benefits but the price I've paid is steep and not without wounds. Unfortunately, the cost of running this business, and employing you, is starting to eclipse the threshold of marginal benefit and let me tell you why:

I am being taxed to death and the government thinks I don't pay enough. I have Corporation Tax, Personal Tax, Business Rates, Community Tax, Value Added Tax, Employers N.I., Taxes on Taxes. I have to hire a tax man to manage all these taxes and then guess what? I have to pay taxes for employing him. Evil or Very Mad

Government mandates and regulations and all the accounting that goes with it, now occupy most of my time. On December 15th, I wrote a cheque to the UK Treasury for £140,000 corporation tax. You know what my return on that was? Zero. Nada. Zilch.

The question I have is this: Who is stimulating the economy? Me, the guy who has provided 23 people good paying jobs and serves over 2,200,000 people per year with a flourishing business? Or, the single mother sitting at home pregnant with her fourth child waiting for her next Giro? Obviously, government feels the latter is the economic stimulus of this country. The fact is, if I deducted (Read: Stole) 50% of your wages you'd quit and you wouldn't work here. I mean, why should you? That's nuts. Who wants to get rewarded only 50% of their hard work? Well, I agree which is why your job is in jeopardy. Shocked

Here is what many of you don't understand .. to stimulate the economy you need to stimulate what runs the economy. Had the government suddenly mandated to me that I didn't need to pay taxes, guess what? Instead of depositing that £144,000 into the London black-hole, I would have spent it, hired more employees, and generated substantial economic growth. My employees would have enjoyed the wealth of that tax cut in the form of promotions and better salaries. But you can forget it now. Evil or Very Mad

When you have a comatose man on the verge of death, you don't defibrillate his thumb thinking that will bring him back to life, do you? You defibrillate his heart. Business is at the heart of the country and always has been. To restart it, you must stimulate it, not kill it. Suddenly, the power brokers in London believe the work-shy spongers are the essential drivers of the economic engine. Nothing could be further from the truth and this is the type of change you can keep. Evil or Very Mad

So where am I going with all this?

It's quite simple.

If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, my reaction will be swift and simple. I fire you and I fire your colleagues. You can then plead with the government to pay for your mortgage, your Disco3, and your child's future. Frankly, it isn't my problem any more. Whistle

Then, I will close this company down, move to another country, and retire. You see, I'm FED-UP. I'm done with a country that penalizes the productive and gives to the unproductive. My motivation to work and to provide jobs will be destroyed, and with it, will be my citizenship. Twisted Evil

So, if you lose your job, it won't be at the hands of the economy, it will be at the hands of a political hurricane that swept through this country, steam-rolled the moral fabric of the nation, and will have changed its landscape forever. If that happens, you can find me sitting on a beach, retired, and with no employees to worry about.... 8)
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #40587820th Jan 2009 2:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Bow down
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #40589820th Jan 2009 2:26 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up

should have done a runner before paying the £144K Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #40590020th Jan 2009 2:27 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up

Post #40590720th Jan 2009 2:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wonky

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

So, do I get my wage rise or not? Laughing

Martin W
 07MY TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey + Alpaca
No ugly kid glass!
Side steps (one with dent!)
BIG GRIN (although turned down at the edges)
Extremely empty wallet 

Post #40612320th Jan 2009 7:29 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Just pay your friggin taxes you whiner's Thumbs Up

Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #40612620th Jan 2009 7:33 pm
NJF

JMC, read this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Atlas-Shrugged-Ayn-Rand/dp/0451191145

Post #40625120th Jan 2009 9:35 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

Yawn

Post #40625620th Jan 2009 9:41 pm
cumbrian-col

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Bow down I'm with you on this one JKP
 I'd be unstoppable - if I could just get started  
Post #40626020th Jan 2009 9:47 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Confused
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #40626520th Jan 2009 9:50 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

cumbrian-col wrote:
Bow down I'm with you on this one JKP

Confused JKP has not posted in this thread Confused

Post #40627420th Jan 2009 9:58 pm
NJF

He got fed up and left.

Post #40627620th Jan 2009 9:59 pm
cumbrian-col

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Embarassed sorry JMC
 I'd be unstoppable - if I could just get started  
Post #40628720th Jan 2009 10:06 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Shocked WOW, that was one heck of a read.

Thumbs Up

brain still trying to digest it
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #40630520th Jan 2009 10:22 pm
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

NJF wrote:
JMC, read this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Atlas-Shrugged-Ayn-Rand/dp/0451191145

I read "Atlas Shrugged" about 15 years ago ......its finally coming to fruition
 Pete  
Post #40632720th Jan 2009 10:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >