DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Decisions decisions...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
G3Z

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Decisions decisions...

Afternoon all Smile

I have been a member for a little while, as I originally was on the hunt for a Disco 3.

Now, I’ve always been a massive Land Rover fan - and the more I’ve looked, the more undecided I’ve become of what I actually want. Laughing The whole range is enticing.

I’ve gone from wanting a Disco 3, then after viewing a few and realising a pre 06 (pre-high tax) nice ones are hard to come by with the spec (or lack of) that I want, mileage etc, plus reading a few horror stories and rust starting to appear, I thought maybe a freelander 2 would suffice. But, as good as they are off road, for what they are, I don’t think I’d be happy in a freelander for long, if the off road bug really hit...

So.. I then started looking at Defenders, being the same size as a freelander, but better off road capabilities. I actually test drove a low mileage, immaculate TD5 today - and it’s safe to say a Defender has come off my list Laughing

I’ve come to the conclusion that I might actually just be better off saving a bit more and getting a post 2012 Disco 4! As it’s the disco size I really want, with the useability, comfort etc and rust not being a real issue yet. Plus, it buys me a few years to get ontop of preventative jobs, before they become older and needing the work doing.

I feel this forum has really given me the insight and knowledge to be comfortable doing a lot of the work myself and it helping me decide it is the Disco that I want, as it’ll serve me much better long term.

Has anyone else been this indecisive before purchasing their first Land Rover? Laughing

Post #203893321st Mar 2019 6:33 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

you seam to have missed the range rover sport off your list Laughing (basically a D3 but a bit shorter)

What spec bits have you been missing? ANd we can tell you they aren't worth having Laughing (e.g. phone, nav)

I would go back to the freelander and get one of them

Post #203893621st Mar 2019 6:52 pm
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Defenders are an acquired taste. A puma 2.2 or 2.4 is a bit more civilised, but not much!

Is there any reason you want a post 2012 D4? If money is tight, why not look for a 2009 onwards D4?

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #203894821st Mar 2019 7:36 pm
G3Z

Cheers for the replies Smile

Money isn’t tight, but from what I’ve read - the 2012 D4’s had revisions and the lower tax band again?

Post #203895221st Mar 2019 7:50 pm
robpenrose

That’s sort of correct.

They all had the same engines, however the MY12 had about 10hp more than the pre MY12. They also all had a dpf. The gearbox was changed from a 6 speed (lever) to 8 speed (dial) and the multimedia got changed, although the interior is the same.

Tax is the same on both until you get to around 2014 I think.

Post #203897021st Mar 2019 8:37 pm
G3Z

Cheers for clarifying that! Something new I’ve learned this evening now 😎

There’s nothing wrong with the 6 speed, from what I’ve driven. I’m yet to drive the 8 speed box.

So just to clarify, pre-2012 doesn’t have a DPF?

Post #203898021st Mar 2019 9:05 pm
robpenrose

Some will have, some won’t. I think generally if pre MY12 and it says 3.0 TDV6, it will be 245hp without DPF, and SDV6 will be 245hp with dpf, but you would have to check the vin to be sure.

The 3.0l TDV6/SDV6 are exactly the same bar possible DPF

Clear as mud then Thumbs Up

Post #203898221st Mar 2019 9:10 pm
sutty2006

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

From what Ive heard the D4 on Adblue is the same tax as the pre-06 D3. Still a rip off but lighter on the wallet. My D3 is ace, yes its higher mileage but these motors are for using. I too drove my mates defender the other week and it was a stern reminder of why I drive a discovery! Laughing

Post #203912722nd Mar 2019 10:50 am
markate

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Ad Blue made no difference to VED. The lower VED rate (currently £315) applies to Discovery 4 with Stop/Start which from memory was 2014 MY onwards.

Post #203913322nd Mar 2019 11:10 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

If money isn’t a major factor, buy an EU6 (Adblu) model.
It will hold its value much better and it’s the nicest of all the engines. It feels noticeable more powerful than the EU5 version.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #203914422nd Mar 2019 11:32 am
ReadySalted

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

You will hear many things cemented in the folklores surrounding landrovers. I've had a fair few as per my signature, and can honestly tell you that while most of the bad things you hear are basically true, they are still worth your money.

Friends of mine think about getting landys all the time and I always say that if they consider the car a hobby and don't mind more expensive maintenance and repair costs, then they will love it. If they want the landrover image but at vauxhall insignia money, then they will be in for a nasty surprise. For that reason, in a world of basically reliable cars nowadays, landrovers you could argue are the last true 'drivers cars', because you have to really WANT one to justify owning one. (or have ludicrously deep pockets).
I'm fairly certain that much of what you will read hear about landrovers will be relevant not just to old (10 year plus) landys, but also to more modern ones. An example of this is that a friend of mine who has a 2018 discovery sport as a company car, loaded it up with bikes, roofbox etc and the day before a trip to France last year the engine management light came on. Suffice to say the car was in the dealers for six days, and they took their trip in a Ford Galaxy courtesy car! This kind of thing is not as rare as you might think.

Anyway hopefully you are a realist so know what you are getting into. Defenders are probably wise to be off your list. I've had a couple, and they are truly terrible. Their charm and character are very quickly lost when they wont start, or when you cant hear the radio, or the rattles and bangs make you actively avoid using it. Plus you cant overtake, plus the clutch is far too heavy for town, plus a 110 is massive, a 90 has zero space. I could go on. I love them, but would never have another. In my experience of landy ownership, my 09 Discovery 3 is the most reliable car I've ever owned. I've had it only 6 months, and apart from one issue covered under warranty, its not let me down. It is the most comfortable, most secure, most safe, nicest looking, and most practical car I have owned. I use mine for everything. Being an auto (I wouldn't touch a manual), its easy round town, and it's perfect for taking the dog out, going to the tip, getting large items from DIYs and boot sales, and I use mine for shooting where despite it's age, it still looks great. Unless something very expensive goes wrong with it in the near future, I truly won't have a bad word to say about it.

Some of the practicalities are that they apparently gets through tyres and brake pads very quickly (and they aren't cheap), but in my experience they seem to be lasting a decent time. The fuel economy is a genuine downside and mine gets anywhere between 20 and 26, which is crap there is no getting away from it. Mine is an XS model and has satnav, aux input, bluetooth for phone, electric front windscreen etc which means its spec is still competitive with some modern cars. A disco 4 would be even more impressive.

Overall I think if you get one you won't be disappointed. If you get a V8 you will need deep pockets (12-14mpg!!!!), but having used my parents V8 range rover for a while, the extra power makes it ALOT more drivable. If you go the same way as I did, and most people do, then you'll get the tdv6. It's poor at overtaking, and downright SLOW when pulling off at roundabouts, but as a cruiser its probably one of the best out there! Once you get going the engine pulls like a train and it's the brakes that have it's work cut out trying to slow down the almost 3 ton beast.

If you are still undecided, then go read more of it on this website. Bear in mind no-one ever posts to say their disco DIDN'T break down, so don't be misled by all the people asking for advice about these things going wrong. Take everybody's advice (including mine) with a pinch of salt, and try to form a realistic overall view, not listen to just one or two posters. If you do buy, buy with your eyes open and don't buy the first you see. There are loads of overpriced ones for sale on dealers forecourts.

If you do decide to go through and buy one - good luck!
 Discovery 3 XS - sold
L322 Range Rover Vogue - sold
TD5 Defender 90 - sold
200tdi Defender 110 - sold
300tdi disco ES - died
Series 3 88" Petrol - sold
300tdi disco XS - sold 

Post #20422731st Apr 2019 11:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >