Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Deisel...contains up to 7% biofuel...??????
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
lostingreen

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Deisel...contains up to 7% biofuel...??????

On a recent trip north I found that every fuel pump had a newly applied sign reading "...contains upto 7% biofuel...." as the manual for the D3 states that only upto 5% bio deisel should be used can anyone advise if this fuel is safe?

I should mention that there was no alternative to using the fuel as every fuel station in the area had the same labels. My local fuel stations do not have these signs....

Thanks

Post #71721217th Nov 2010 2:33 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

The legal requirement for the labeling has been there for some time now. I've tried and tried to get it in writing from Land Rover that this is safe, but they are most reluctant to put anything into writing. I do how ever have a copy of a publicity magazine where it is stated that Prince Charles runs his on 100% biodiesel.

Why dont you try try tackle them as well - and if most of the 20,000 other site users do so we might get something.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #71722317th Nov 2010 3:24 pm
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I was working at a fuel distribution depot last week, where they have just installed a Ethanol mixing plant, the site manager stated that it is that companies policy to move to a min of 20% Ethanol in fuel by 2020 Rolling Eyes

I mentioned that many modern diesel vehicles (including my D3) say (in the handbook) that you shouldn't use 'biodiesel'

They response was "Ethanol mixed with diesel, plus 'other' additives will not harm a modern engine, the biodiesel refered to in your car handbook is the cheap crap stuff that you would get by using chip oil etc" - "our formula is tested by all engine manufacturers, and approved by them, we add detergents and lubricants, as well as other top secret ingredients to make a stable, efficient and cost effective product"

Think he had just come from their marketing 'school'

Shocked Shocked
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #71724217th Nov 2010 4:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mattgreen

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

What's the official LR reason for "no biodiesel"?

Post #71724917th Nov 2010 4:49 pm
mzplcg

England 

A good pal of mine who works at a LR dealer actually explained this to me in terms I could understand.

Apparently the fuel lines have a coating on the inside to prevent corrosion etc. This coating gets attacked by certain substances, notably petrol which is why if you misfuel you should never start the car. If this coating comes into contact with a solvent it starts to peel off and lumps of it end up in the HP fuel pump, thus knackering it.

Said coating has been chemically designed to be immune to regular diesel but some of the more veggie types of oil will attack it, as will certain components of biodiesel. I guess Methanol also comes into the group which will attack it.

That's what he told me anyway. But if 5% is safe, and 100% is not, there must be a critical point in between where the line between the 2 comes. Where that line is however is anyone's guess though.

Of course, he could also be talking B******s

Post #71725117th Nov 2010 4:52 pm
hensoni

United Kingdom 

And anybody that has driven on the French Autoroutes for the past 5 or 6 years has been using anywhere up to 15% biodiesel...

Local bio supplier round here has run their RRS on their own stuff for ages.

Some research a while back (when I had a Isuzu Trooper that would would on clean veggie oil - straight off the shelf in Tesco...) indicated that proper bio diesel that is manufactured to EN590 is virtually indistinguishable from 'Dino diesel.' It can be 'soapy' which tends to lift years of sludgy deposit from the tank and fuel lines and deposit it at the fuel filter.

My VW T5 has a diesel particulate filter and there is a notice on the filler cap forbidding anything greater than B30 (30% bio mix) which is a real shame as my 15 year old T4 will run on bio without issue.

Unfortunately, the duty on bio diesel is the same as dino diesel and it costs more to produce resulting in a higher price at the pumps. Go figure...

Bio diesel can also have its own ecological problems as most of the world's bio comes from Palm oil which is planted as a cash crop in lieu of virgin rainforest. DIY BIO can be troublesome and you end up with a lot of soap which is treated as hazardous waste at the tip.
 Club missing my D3  
Post #71726417th Nov 2010 5:25 pm
jonny teflon

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

lostingreen i'm surprised you had trouble finding non bio diesel i'm assuming north of you is sunny scotland then, if so i have no knowledge in that area but most major oil companys are steering well clear of bio diesel unlike ethanol in petrol 5-10% which is going full steam ahead .yes there are certain companys such as greenenergy heavily involved in bio diesel but most majors are giving it a wide berth at present

Post #71727317th Nov 2010 5:48 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

mzplcg

I get the distinct smell of bovine effluence! Land Rover? Corrosion protection? I very much doubt it. They don't protect anything apart from their pockets.

What he might have been getting at is that diesel has lubricating properties itself for things like fuel pumps etc, whereas petrol doesn't, and it's that which may cause the damage.

Post #71727817th Nov 2010 5:53 pm
lostingreen

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Clearly the extra 2% is also affecting my speeeeling too!! Laughing

Yes north of me is sunny Scotland, the local fuel pumps around newcastle do not have these stickers attached.

If this is a recent change have any of the resident Scotish owners noticed any problems??

Post #71729717th Nov 2010 6:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >