Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Delay when accelerating from standstill Discovery 3 Auto
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jack2006

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Delay when accelerating from standstill Discovery 3 Auto

When pulling away from a junction there initially appears to be no power and a delay before the engine RPM increases. If I pull away very gentle and slowly feed in the throttle all seems ok. My brother has also experianced it so it does not seem to be driving style. Is this a characteristic of the TDV6 with Turbo lag? makes things interesting at islands in the rush hour as not too sure when the engine will respond and a few times its been a case of straight back on the brakes. (back to the days of left foot braking??)

Post #5041675th Aug 2009 8:23 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

you need a remap.... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #5041715th Aug 2009 8:33 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The delay is a characteristic of the D3. I have had 2 D3's, a very early example, and now have a 08.5 model year. Both HSE Auto's. They both had the throttle > accelerate lag, especially if an initial press of the pedal was followed quickly by another, for example entering a roundabout, and you hesitate to enter the roundabout, reapplying throttle in quick succession. The later Euro 4 engine is better, but not much.

The only time I would worry about a fault is if there is NO power until the revs hit @2500, then it takes off like a rocket. In this case the EGR valves could be suspected.

If its just a delayed response, then get used to it, its a feature of the 'drive by wire' electronics that control the engine.

Hope that helps Thumbs Up

Post #5041725th Aug 2009 8:33 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yep, same here too till I remapped, sort of got rid of it, but I dont come to a standstill often as my driving style coasts to junctions.

Garath's info is spot on though, Standard D3 does highlight this

Post #5041835th Aug 2009 8:42 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I agree with the others that this is a feature of the D3.

Assuming you don't decide on a remap, try this next time you really need to go go go...and don't forget to practice several times first on an empty road so you KNOW how the car will handle when you need it to.

As you pull up to the roundabout, knock the gearstick across into sport mode, then once you've almost stopped, pull back on the gearstick twice. This will ensure you're in command-first. When you want to go; nail it! Let the 'box do the changes at the redline, and once you're happy with your speed, knock the gearstick back over to Drive and all the noise will cease.

I know that's the opposite experience of getting it to pull way fastest in Drive, but Drive really does need the power feeding in slowly to get the best (unsatisfactory) response. Command-first needs the pedal and the bulkhead to be blended.

Some people use Sand mode for accelerated launches, but I find command-first to be almost as good but easier to select without looking at what you're doing.
I was also very happy with rally style left foot braking; winding the rpm up to 2200+ as a gap approaches and then simultaneously flooring the accelerator and releasing the brake causes the kind of leap out into traffic that'll leave an Audi driver stunned. I've never had issues doing this in my MY2007, but I believe that in earlier years the car will see this situation as a fault and will drop to limp mode whicjh is undesirable to say the least!

I'm happiest with command-first, but why not try some of these on a safe and empty road, and report back what you think?
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #5041935th Aug 2009 8:54 pm
dr_neil

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

as a D3 owner of only a few weeks I've noticed this and was wondering if a remap is the answer. next on the shopping list then.

Post #5042005th Aug 2009 9:09 pm
Andy4467

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

EGR valve.........?
 Some say the glass is half full. Others that it is half empty. I say 'Are you drinking that?"

Cairns Blue, Ebony Leather, SE
BMW 320d M sport 

Post #5042065th Aug 2009 9:15 pm
jack2006

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks all for replys, appreciated.

I blanked of the EGR valves a couple of weeks ago but that did not make any differance for pulling away but did seem to make a differance when pulling through the gears. Fuel ecoonomy dropped by a couple of MPG though.

Have been using Sport mode which has helped but not tried to use command mode. Will give this a try tomorrow and llet you know result.

It is worse when I have started to use the accelerator then backed off a bit and then tried again. Its response reminded me of the early problems with drive by wire when I worked on engine management and your comments suggest that it still there to some extent (what happened over the last 20 years??).

I've never noticed the problem when towing my loaded 3.5 ton trailer but guess that driving expectation is lower!

Any idea what a rough cost of a re-map would be?

Thanks Jack

Post #5042215th Aug 2009 9:43 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

about £550 plus vat - but worth every penny.
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #5042425th Aug 2009 10:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: