Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Detachable tow bar problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Andrew Hebron

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

TallPaul wrote:
If the main bar stops the towbar piece from going in, its in the wrong place, you need to take of the plate

That's the bit on the opposite side from the green lock?

TallPaul wrote:
and move it around a gear

Confused

TallPaul wrote:
but to do this you need to clamp the lot to stop the spring pushing the pin out and the ball bearing going into orbit!

Does that mean clamp the face of the bar when the lock is twisted and it's as far in as I can get it?
 Andrew  
Post #40958626th Jan 2009 9:23 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Andrew - sorry if you have not taken it apart then DON'T!

Spray a load of WD40 up into the receiver, and then give it a good shove would be my advise!

dealmaker - if you lay down and look under, you can push the pin back in from the other side to release the attachement if you have it unlocked. Also you can remove the plastic lever if you look (like when you change the lock) to get some mole grips on there if you need to! If its not the lock bit but the getting it out bit then try a little wiggle side to side...

Post #40963426th Jan 2009 10:04 pm
Andrew Hebron

Still struggling here:

Twisting the green handle doesn't pull the main pin back far enough for it to allow the towbar to fit. Yes, I have tried a hammer.

The metal plate (opposite the green handle) seems to have an integral "stopper" for the gears and removing this allows the pin to move further back, but still not enough.

1. How far back should the pin have to go to allow the towbar to locate? Should it be flush?

2. If it needs "adjustment" how do I disassemble it, and what do I adjust? Any Top Tips? Exactly where will things ping out?

3. Any other ideas? Confused

Thanks in advance
 Andrew  
Post #42268115th Feb 2009 10:31 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Andrew Hebron wrote:
Still struggling here:

Twisting the green handle doesn't pull the main pin back far enough for it to allow the towbar to fit. Yes, I have tried a hammer.

Thanks in advance

The green pin pulls out before it twists. Sorry if stating the obvious. Are you seeing a green or a red marker when you move the pin ???
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #42273015th Feb 2009 11:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andrew Hebron

Let's start with the obvious...Yes, the green handle pulls out and there's a red something-or-other underneath it / between it and the towbar itself. Not sure where the marker is that you mean.
 Andrew  
Post #42273615th Feb 2009 11:30 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Laughing

If we are starting with the obvious - have you RTFM ??????

Wink
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #42275115th Feb 2009 11:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Is the key in the lock ?
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #42282516th Feb 2009 2:01 am
Jammydonut

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi, this is my first post, just to offer some help. I have just purchased a replacement tow hitch to replace one stolen off my d3 whilst at Heathrow.

I could not bring myself to buy one second hand off e bay as didn't want to unwittingly reward the theiving monkeys that seem to be doing this! Therefore purchased new original from independent dealer.

Anyway when received the large silver pin that secures the bar did not retract fully to allow the hitch to locate correctly. After some faffing it finally started to retreat fully with the application of gt85.it seems the small silver pin at the top of the hitch needs to raise up out of the hitch to allow the larger pin to retract and hence be inserted. One in the hitch is inserted into the minting point on the car this silver pin is forced down automatically releasing the large securing bolt across this securing it in place.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you are having difficulty trying to retract the large pin to seat the hitch in place, keep applying releasing oil, Work the mechanism until that small pin pops out as you are turning the green lock handle.

Hope this helps

Post #172257621st Oct 2016 11:45 am
Washwipe

England 

Another popular error with the green handle, it need to be pulled, then turned. If you have the towball on the bench, with the locking pin out, pull the green handle then turn it, you will see the locking pin retract, and the little Pin come out, inserting it in the receiver pushes the little pin in and the locking pin out.

Post #172271221st Oct 2016 5:59 pm
Pidsley

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Broken key

Anyone know where I can get a replacement key for my tow bar?

Post #18967632nd Jan 2018 9:31 pm
OldPOP

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

I found the problem with mine was it had been clouted too hard with a hammer and squashed the metal around the pin which made it stickey
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/cant-remove...26-15.html

Post #18967992nd Jan 2018 10:17 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

MAKE SURE THE HOLE IN THE CAR IS CLEAR TO RECEIVE SAID TOWBAR

Post #18968192nd Jan 2018 10:54 pm
Gazzdid

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have the opposite issue to what seems to be the usual problem.
With the towbar in my hands the securing pin is out and although it will retract when i turn the green handle it will not stay in. As soon as I let go of the handle it fires back out.
From reading other threads on the forum I think i should see a bit of a ball bearing at the end of the securing pin when it is fully out?
I can see a hole but no bearing so I assume here lies my problem.
It was ‘armed’ in the retracted position when I bought/picked it up but shortly extracted after fiddling with it.
I clamped the pin back in a vice (advice from here!) and took the silver plate off only to see 2 cogs inside. I assume I need to knock the split pin out of the green handle and get this off in order to get to the gubbins and see what is going on?
Any advise or help please on what good looks like so I can have a go tomorrow and see if I can sort it?
I know I should take it back but it was a fair trek away (I was in the area anyway at the time) and dont really want to go to the effort of going back if I can fix it.

I appreciate it is a bit of a sensative subject so by all means pm me if necessary
Thanks in advance
Gaz

Post #191401012th Feb 2018 9:51 pm
Gazzdid

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Right ive stripped the whole thing to pieces, and yes the ball bearing was missing. This is what engages into a hole in the casting when the handle is twisted back & holds the mechanism in the locked back position. The little pin at the top pushes the bearing back down and causes the main spring loaded arm to fling out. Therefore no bearing = no locked back position.
Stripped it down, took everything out, cleaned, re-greased, replaced the 6mm bearing, put everything back together and now working as good as new! Thumbs Up

Post #191464714th Feb 2018 8:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >