DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Dick & Slimer's Day of Fun
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
Dick & Slimer's Day of Fun

Nauseous at the prospect of another Bank Holiday sat in front of the TV, I took Mac & Dylan (my Jacks), joined up with Slimer and we went into the depths of leafy Surrey in a quest for some decent BOAT's.......... and boy did we find some crackers !

After meeting up at Newland's Corner just to the east of Guildford, in more than a bit of a downpour, we headed off down the A25 to Wotton and the first lane of the day.

Wolvens \ Crockers lane runs for about 3 miles south of Wotton and doglegs off towards the base of Leith Hill Tower. The lane was in good order and was mildly challenging for the D3 with some nice ruts and narrow sections.

After a mile or so we stopped so I could let the pooches out, Mac had thrown up in the cage and Dylan was busily trying not to put his feet in it. The mutts had their 'pee-pee's, Si had a quick smoke and then we were off again.

We met no traffic for about the first 2 miles then all of a sudden it was like the 'Old Kent Road' on a Saturday afternoon. Firstly, a kind of marathon race was going on and they were all coming our way. There were some elderly gentlemen, who seemed to be having a near death experience but this was balanced thankfully by some nice young ladies who refused our offers of a lift Crying or Very sad The guy who was in the lead ran past shouting 'More runners' but I thought he was talking about the big long strands of snot that were hanging from his nose Shocked . Anyway, no sooner had we come across the runners but Quads, Mountain bikers, horses and motocross bikes seemed to be coming from all directions, all looking bemused at the two glorious looking D3's.

The last section of this track was quite interesting with a very sharp left leading to a steep run down to Abinger Road.

Next we were heading back towards 'Pond's Lane' near Shere, some 8 miles from Leith Hill. Now things started to get a little more interesting the track was narrow and deep rutted with high side walls there was little margin for error. "It'll open up further on" I said to Si over the PMR...I was hoping anyway. We had already suffered some of the squeeling normally associated with small branches running over the roof and down the sides - nothing to harsh .....for now. We stopped a few times to cut down overhangers with Si's 'go-go gadget' saw. This was a fairly short track of about 1.2 miles although we only saw two walkers...young ladies to be precise...they kindly stepped up the bank for us to pass...only to rejoin the track and end up walking behind Si's D3 like a pair of mourners at a funeral .......only slower......they got pretty Censored ed off after a few hundered yards and when we were able to pull over in a slight opening my smile was greeted by that look of true evil that one readily recognises as a married man. Rolling Eyes

After some hairy'ish moments it started to open into something a little more solid. "Shall we find a pub" Si asked... I was feeling peckish too so we agreed to look for a watering hole in Farley Green village which conveniently was at the start of our third lane. The lack of an obvious pub-like premises is something that Farley Green should be bloody ashamed of though Evil or Very Mad and with great frustration we decided to just get on with it.

After driving around the back of some houses we came into what seemed like a small farmyard. Ahead of us was 'Ride Lane' and it looked a little narrow and overhung. Time for a foot reccie. I sensed some trepidation in both our voices but after walking about 100 yards, the canopy rose up and ultimately looked no worse that any of the tracks we'd been down already.

OK... we're gonna go for it Thumbs Up

After getting through the first 200 yards things started to tighten up and tighten up and.......

.....MY GOD Shocked What had we done to deserve this Crying or Very sad

We were at allsorts of angles with mm's to spare in a wet,deep rutted and high walled hell. The squeeling of branches now became the scraping of branches.... "turn your radio up" said Si ...in an effort to quell the noise... even the pooches were howling by now. Wing mirrors were rapidly being pulled in and out in efforts to avoid menacing treetrunks.. and then a bridge like structure of tree boughs sat above me "how am I looking here Si" I asked.... "Your OK" came the reply - I was hoping to return the favour but just as my angle of view came into line with Si's roof it was just too late... the bough had clipped one of his expo rack mounted spots pinging off the cover grille and leaving it at an odd angle. I jumped out to retrieve the grille and Si lowered his suspension top access height to get the rest under.

This was a difficult lane by any stretch of the imagination and it just seemed to get more challenging the further we progressed. After about 1.75 miles we turned up into Madgehole Lane on the final section. The 'go-go gadget' saw had some further uses to remove major overhangs. It was here that I spotted this old Oak on the hillside ...

....a beautiful thing ...but slightly dead....not for hugging Crying or Very sad

Leaving the lane we headed back up to Newland's Corner to lick our wounds...some light scratching....one cracked light housing...lots of mud and one dog rug full of puke.

While travelling there I couldn't help but admire the performance and capabilities of the disco 3 .......it is truely awesome. After Boughrood earlier this year I though it fantastic ........but now......Nobody could ever try to convince me that this vehicle was second best to ANYTHING else on the road ...or off it.

After losing out to beer and a ploughmans previously, Si kindly sorted me with a coffee and a Cholesterol burger of the highest standard. MMMmmm As we stood eating, we watched the full spectrum of humanity doing their bank holiday thing. What fun they must of had !

Not, I guarentee you, as much as we did Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 30th May 2006 3:20 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #6098029th May 2006 7:55 pm
Very Annoyed

England 

Evil or Very Mad I suppose you think you're funny! Evil or Very Mad
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #6098229th May 2006 8:05 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Are you annoyed about something VA ?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #6098329th May 2006 8:10 pm
Very Annoyed

England 

yes!
Post #6098429th May 2006 8:11 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Big Cry Big Cry can't think of a finer way to spend a BH Big Cry Big Cry you gits! Sad

Post #6098629th May 2006 8:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Nice one you 2 !

You drove approx 4 great miles... I had to walk 6 rain, hail and wind blasted miles on a 'fun stroll' across fields and through woods this afternoon !!

Damn you for living in the south closer to the equator ! All your high CO2 living must be paying off for you lot... no water in yer taps and BLUE skys !

Oh well, least I can wash the dog with the hose pipe that is still legal to use up here Wink

Nice write up DG ! And thanks for sharing... I think.

cheers

-s

Post #6099329th May 2006 8:28 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You have a fine ways with words DG Very Happy
It was a great day, excellent company, the worlds smallest but hardest dogs and brilliant vehicles Very Happy

Note for AndrewS: We get a much better class of runner down here than those wiry goulish things you get up on those welsh hills. Some of them down here are worth a second look 8)
 The End  
Post #6099929th May 2006 8:38 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Very annoyed wrote:
yes!

Well, we'll tell you more about it at the meet tomorrow Wink
Post #6100029th May 2006 8:51 pm
Very Annoyed

England 

Evil or Very Mad Big Cry Banging Head
Post #6100229th May 2006 8:57 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Sounds like a great day out and quite an adventure. Up North we all have the impression that the SE generally is all tarmac, concrete and shopping centres. Fab to hear that you can find something rough and wild even in "civilisation".
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #6100329th May 2006 9:05 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You forgot to mention whilst enjoying our hard earned coffee and artery clogger at the end of the day and watching the world go by it was heart warming to watch a Land Cruiser trying to jump-start Grand Cherokee and failing miserably Twisted Evil
 The End  
Post #6100629th May 2006 9:12 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Yes ....sadly not broken down enough to silence their freaking alarm though eh!!.......or their kids for that matter.....or their father shouting more loudly than the alarm and the kids put together. Twisted Evil Pikeys !!
Post #6100729th May 2006 9:16 pm
SN

I take it you sat and watched from a distance with smug looks on your faces rather than intervene then? Wink
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #6100829th May 2006 9:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yep Twisted Evil
 The End  
Post #6100929th May 2006 9:23 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

We were far too busy eating our hamburger soup.......MMMMmmmmmmm Very Happy
Post #6101029th May 2006 9:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >