Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

Diesel filter (again ?)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Diesel filter (again ?)

Filled up in Alldays yesterday on way back from Mapungubwe. No problems during the whole trip - although travelling slow on N1 with excessive traffic through the toll gates.

Just received message from my wife that D3 has cut out with "engine management failure" message. This is exactly what happened almost a year ago when Diesel filter clogged up (that is what I was told) after putting in suspect diesel in Botswana.

If this is the case I stand by my statement the D3 diesel filter in inefficient for Africa conditions and that capacity is too small for 24k service intervals. Whistle

Did not even think of using my diesel filter funnel as the garage was Total and fairly big.
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Defender TD5 110 CSW '00. "With everything" 

Post #31106417th Jun 2008 9:05 am
Sandlover

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had a similarly horrendous experience last year 8 months into ownership (in fact the only problem I have had with the Landi). And this is a long story and I believe I was sCensored d

I left Windhoek on my way to Cape Town for a brief trip. I filled up at my regular Engen (large volume station) before leaving. Less than 50 km's out, the engine cut out citing the same 'engine management problem' and reverted to safe mode. Oddly enough, I was able to drive normal speeds but the system indicated 'special programs off'. However, every time I restarted the vehicle thereafter all the way down to CT the system would revert to normal correctly until cutting out again. Got to CT and took it into my original dealer and they updated the software (seems to be the normal routine).

It worked perfectly after that for the entire duration of my stay in CT for about 1000 kms.

Then, on my way back near Clanwilliam, same problem all of a sudden! Big Cry Bearing in mind now that I filled up in CT (and I always make use of the special low suplhur diesel when I am back in SA - 50ppm). I like to treat the Landi! Mr. Green

So I limped back to Windhoek having filled up at Springbok and Keetmanshoop. Only this time I really could not go faster than about 80 km's per hour.

Now the problem started because the dealer in Windhoek opened my diesel tank and determined that I had inferior diesel. I cannot argue as it did look a bit shaky (assuming a lighter colour means poorer diesel). However, I had no proof that the vehicle started the problem in Clanwilliam (and not Keetmanshoop where all the remaining diesel emanated from) and they based their entire argument on the poor quality diesel that was in my tank. Thereafter LR voided my warranty claim and refused to pay for it.

Short story - R16 000 later and a new diesel fuel pump (not filter) at my own cost. Big Cry Big Cry

I'm still smarting!

By the way. I service the vehicle every 12 000 km's in any case. LR don't seem to like it (I pay my own way on it) which I find strange. However, I am only 11 000 into my current cycle and the engine is running very rough in the cold mornings and I seem to need to service again.

In other words Deondef, I agree that the service cycles should be shorter for our conditions. I have a 7A model.

Post #31158118th Jun 2008 4:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jonty

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

In Kenya & Tanzania, I've been told LR insist on service for diesel models every 6000km!! I drove through Tanzania late last year and heard all sorts of stories about 'doctored' fuel - kerosene mixed in etc.......

However, in SA I think it's an easy excuse for LR to use to get out of warranty work.

Post #31166518th Jun 2008 9:32 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Sorry to hear about your drama Deon . Has it been resolved , and was it the filter again

Post #31176019th Jun 2008 8:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Deondef

Had it in at Sandton LR this morning. Full diagnostics only shows "general communication test" - or some sorts. Fuel pressure, etc all OK. and confirmation that vehicle is 100%

Has not happened again (cut out) - so assuming everything is Thumbs Up

Now watching the message screen like I used to watch the Defender temp gauge while driving Neutral
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Post #31181019th Jun 2008 10:41 am
Deondef

Sandlover

My brand new Volvo D50 (the first Volvo diesel engine in SA) also went into limp mode soon after I filled the tank for the first time. I was furious and when they (Volvo) started with this inferior diesel story I threatened to do the "worst 4X4 by far trick" and park it outside their premises. I had filled up at my local Sasol garage which I know is one of the few low sulphur Sasols in the country.

The previous Volvo (petrol) always showed a catalytic converter warning whenever I filled up at any garage outside Gauteng

I cannot believe that modern engines can bo so sensitive to fuel

Post #31181319th Jun 2008 10:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >