Diesel Fuel - Smoke
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Diesel Fuel - Smoke

Hi all

I have tried (the TDV6 is now 3 tanks full old) the following fuels BP, Shell and Caltex (Petrol Plus) and all three cause exhaust smoke to be visible when accelerating briskly.

Does anyone have any advice on 'clean' diesel from Australian suppliers?

I have seen an additive at SuperCheap that supposedly reduces the visible smoke but can't recall the brand. Have any members had experience with these products?
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #4319020th Feb 2006 1:10 pm
SMK

Australia 

Leigh,

I use mainly Shell and some BP. In 10k I haven't seen any smoke what so ever under any form of accelleration.

Post #4320420th Feb 2006 2:20 pm
Vo Rogue

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Leigh

BP low sulphur here and have not seen any smoke at all.

Post #4331820th Feb 2006 9:58 pm
Husky

Australia 

Can only go on the test drive experience if that helps as we are waiting for our vehicle to arrive Crying or Very sad

Drove the vehicle very hard, it was a second hand vehicle with around 13,000kms on the clock and there was no smoke to be seen. We were making a point of looking for things like smoke because we had never owned a diesel before and had heard some older models after they wear a bit could tend to push a bit of smoke.

Post #4333320th Feb 2006 11:01 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I've only ever used Shell or Mobil diesel and never seen black smoke. I have 21,000 km on my TDV6.

I have followed a fellow TDV6 back from a 4WD trip and when he accelerated very hard to overtake some black smoke could be seen from the exhausts but it wasn't much. I've also followed another mate's D3 TDV6 while he towed his TVan and no smoke could be seen.

I wouldn't put any additives in the fuel. The D3 shouldn't blow noticable amounts of smoke.

I'd be getting the dealer to check it out if your not happy.

Did you notice different fuel consumption levels for the different brands of fuel. For me Mobil and Shell are about the same.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #4337421st Feb 2006 4:00 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine smokes when under acceleration, but I was under the impression that most diesel engines will smoke under load. It is most noticable in the headlights of a following vehicle at night.

I have a friend that has worked on diesel engines for years, and he followed me down to Cornwall last summer, and if he thought my engine was wrong he would have told me so.

Post #4342021st Feb 2006 2:23 pm
Jamo

Australia 

I read somewhere, maybe elsewhere in this forum, that a chap with a similar problem got a software upgrade and the car stopped smoking!!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #4457227th Feb 2006 10:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks Jamo - I hadn't seen that here but I was thinking of getting one of those "No Smoking in this area" signs that are all the rage in Australia and fixing it to the engine cover. I am sure mine is a law-abiding engine. <g>.

Mine was delivered on 31 Jan 2006 so I would hope that the latest software upgrades had been applied but I am still monitoring its output.
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #4473428th Feb 2006 1:18 am
ian mac

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

just got back from first long road trip.3500klms on clock now.our friends in their disco2 td5 gave of a fair amount of smoke under heavy foot to overtake.i thought it would be rude to mention but they seemed to take great delight in telling me they knew when i was going to overtake as the d3 gave off a small double puff under acceleration.they described it as dump and burn(as in f111).i have used bp fuel avoiding caltex bacause of the high sulpher thread.to date the car has used no oil.note both cars fully loaded.

Post #1171807th Jan 2007 12:40 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Sometimes I will get smoke on hard acceleration, but only noticable at night. Use an independent servo, 10c cheaper per litre they source from caltax.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #1172007th Jan 2007 3:38 am
shakyknees49

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
smoke

My tdv6 is also three tank fulls old......... mayby not full tanks ...all of 1500kms... yep..... a blast of black smoke on a brisk take off..I put it down to normal.....so far...... goes well......!!!!!!

Post #11828410th Jan 2007 12:02 pm
Pelyma

England 

I was told all diesels smoke and a certain company that the boss might know worked on the JCB car to turn black smoke white so it looked like salt from the salt flats it was run on.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #11828810th Jan 2007 12:10 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Leigh, excessive smoke can be caused by an issue with the airflow sensor, either a bit of oil or grease on the thermistor or a faulty unit - note that in both cases it will not flag a fault, in the second case it may or may not log a DTC. There is also an outside chance this is caused by the fuel temperature sensor although this is noticable as restricted power and the engine cooling fan running at 100% duty

Post #11830510th Jan 2007 1:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

Gareth wrote:
Mine smokes when under acceleration, but I was under the impression that most diesel engines will smoke under load. It is most noticable in the headlights of a following vehicle at night..

Ditto
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #11830910th Jan 2007 1:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >