Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

diesel heat
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Popelka

Czech Republic 
diesel heat

I keep reading about how efficient the new diesel is in regards to heat and then I read about FBH being used so my question is to those that can explain .

what/why is it so efficient that you then have to have the FBH, whats the saving CO2/ MPG or what?

and then the biggy is compared to petrol what is the most efficient temperature for a diesel car as it works by compression does the outside temp effect the efficiency and how ????
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #5470136th Nov 2009 5:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Re: diesel heat

Popelka wrote:

what/why is it so efficient that you then have to have the FBH, whats the saving CO2/ MPG or what?

All engines take time to get to the optimum operating temperature, the FBH merely gives it a boost to get there a bit sooner, with the benefit that the cabin heating works much sooner than it would if no FBH was fitted. Not sure the FBH is linked to efficiency directly Confused
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #5470316th Nov 2009 6:11 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I'm not an engine expert but...

Since diesel is ignited by compression, the outside temperature is only indirectly a factor. Physics say that the temperature of the air/diesel mixture will rise always the same way. But this demands a certain start temperature of the mixture. So the air and fuel temperature are factors influenced by outside temperature but the actual combustion proces not really.

This is BTW the one of the reasons that in northern countries fuel tanks are warmed (exhaust through the fuel tank!!!) and radiators are shielded from direct airflow. The other reason is that the fuel and coolant will just freeze Laughing

The reasons to warm up your engine are several:
- warming up the oil makes it work better. Like all fluids, it will be less fluent at lower temperatures. This effect is diminished by the synthetic oils these days
- engine parts may vary in size as a result of temperature. Every material has an extension factor under the influence of temperature. If different materials are used for (examples!) pistons, block and springs, you can imagine what happens when temperature varies.

regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #5470946th Nov 2009 7:52 pm
TSR2

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Guys,

Excuse my ignorance but in laymans terms isn't it just that the much different dieseling system gives off much less heat than the petrol engine. By giving off less heat more of the energy is converted to more useful mechanical energy to drive the car..hence higher efficiency. Thumbs Up

Or am I just doing my usual impersonation of Homer Simpson. Doh! Whistle Whistle

Post #5471046th Nov 2009 8:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wvlenthe

TSR2 wrote:
Or am I just doing my usual impersonation of Homer Simpson. Doh! Whistle Whistle

Dunno about Homer. Popelka is effectively asking 4 questions. You're answering one of them Whistle Thumbs Up

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #5471126th Nov 2009 8:24 pm
TSR2

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Popelka,

Apologies, if the engine is running more efficiently giving off less wasted energy as heat then you either get cold or you need to supplement the heating with the FBH. I guess it's just a fact of life with the diesel engine but the FBH doesn't show on any CO2 figures quoted does it? as it is a heater not an engine. Bit of a fiddle maybe but everyone is only getting excited over engine CO2 figures.

The effect of temperature on the diesel engines are much less because of the much higher compression ratios.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine

Homer!

Post #5471246th Nov 2009 8:53 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

intercooler cools input air for combustion, reduces air volume so you can cram more air in an burn more completely. Also heat from combustion can then produce more pressure = more torque/mechanical efficiency. Less waste heat around plus cold input air means extra heat to warm up engine in cold conditions is needed.

Engine should give more torque in the cold (once transmission has warmed up)
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #5471686th Nov 2009 10:05 pm
Popelka

Czech Republic 

wvlenthe wrote:
The reasons to warm up your engine are several:

TSR2 wrote:
By giving off less heat more of the energy is converted to more useful mechanical energy to drive the car..hence higher efficiency

dick dastardly wrote:
Less waste heat around plus cold input air means extra heat to warm up engine in cold conditions is needed.

Gents,
thanks for clearing that up especially the
TSR2 wrote:
the FBH doesn't show on any CO2 figures quoted does it? as it is a heater not an engine. Bit of a fiddle maybe
and I guess it's not used in the fuel usage calculations either?

Chris
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #5477048th Nov 2009 1:53 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Popelka wrote:
I guess it's not used in the fuel usage calculations either?

It certainly makes a difference to fuel consumption, that's for sure.

Post #5477408th Nov 2009 10:07 am
wvlenthe

Popelka wrote:
I guess it's not used in the fuel usage calculations either?

Chris

I suppose not in the onboard computer which is off anyhow. Come to think of it; it uses fuel gauge I think and therefore it may include it somewhere. I can imagine that the FBH uses so little fuel that you won't really notice.

If you calculate usage by means of spreadsheet then obviously its used.

Wiljo
Post #5477868th Nov 2009 1:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >