Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Diff oil daft question time.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
fishinmad

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Not sure I agree with you there, wouldn't a lot of the metal particals be caught by the magnetic drain plug?
 Club Narpy Torch

“No return to boom and bust” Gordon Brown when chancellor
He has been proved right, now there is only bust! 

Post #13517883rd Oct 2014 7:38 am
armybuck041

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Nodge68 wrote:
So do you know how much extra oil went into the diff for it to spill?

Totals for me were approx 1.1 liters in the front and 1.8 litres in the rear. Three 1 liter jugs were enough to complete the job.

Post #13519063rd Oct 2014 11:42 am
Nodge68

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

fishinmad wrote:
Not sure I agree with you there, wouldn't a lot of the metal particals be caught by the magnetic drain plug?

The magnetic plug will only collect ferrous particles. Anything non ferrous will remain in suspension in the oil. Over time heavier particles will sink to the bottom of the diff case. Lighter particles will remain in the oil. This is why the oil changes colour.
The only method to remove these potentially damaging particles is to drain the oil, refilling with fresh oil.
I strongly suspect that if these hard worked oils were changed more often, the diffs, transfer box and gearbox would live much longer.

Post #13519113rd Oct 2014 11:56 am
Nodge68

armybuck041 wrote:
Nodge68 wrote:
So do you know how much extra oil went into the diff for it to spill?

Totals for me were approx 1.1 liters in the front and 1.8 litres in the rear. Three 1 liter jugs were enough to complete the job.

Thanks for the info.

Today I had some spare time to drive the 15 miles to site sponsor Opie Oils. I picked up some diff oil and gearbox oil. No prises for guessing what I'll be doing tomorrow.

Click image to enlarge

Post #13519123rd Oct 2014 12:00 pm
fishinmad

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

What are you using the gear oil for? As the only way to change that is with a flush.
 Club Narpy Torch

“No return to boom and bust” Gordon Brown when chancellor
He has been proved right, now there is only bust! 

Post #13520643rd Oct 2014 4:31 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

You can still change part of the gearbox oil as per the OEM instructions. It is what I so, but I start my first change at 50 to 60k and do a single flush every 20 to 30k or so after that.

If you change the oil regularly then there is no need for a flush machine. Regrettably few are in this position so the power flush machines are the best option for most.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #13520673rd Oct 2014 4:35 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

fishinmad wrote:
What are you using the gear oil for? As the only way to change that is with a flush.

Manual box.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #13520923rd Oct 2014 5:29 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Laughing
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #13520933rd Oct 2014 5:30 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Robbie wrote:
You can still change part of the gearbox oil as per the OEM instructions. It is what I so, but I start my first change at 50 to 60k and do a single flush every 20 to 30k or so after that.

If you change the oil regularly then there is no need for a flush machine. Regrettably few are in this position so the power flush machines are the best option for most.
Thumbs Up

+1 Thumbs Up I first half changed (5ltr) mine at 65k miles and intend doing a half change at the next two annual services.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #13521003rd Oct 2014 5:37 pm
Nodge68

fishinmad wrote:

The manual gearbox Wink

Post #13521653rd Oct 2014 7:34 pm
BrettKaz

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I suffered a front diff leak about 7k kms after diff oil change by mechanic. I then found out he filled to spill ... I then told my mechanic (obliquely accusing him) that overfilling caused the diff seal failure. He insisted this was circa 610ml. I did diff breather mod at same time as oil change ... I read back through the instructions and still believe I did it properly ... angled cut pointing rear- breather pointing backwards.

I have been replacing front diff oil every couple of '000 kms to combat the leak but this time I thought I would fill to spill to check if this was different to 610mls. Using cheap stuff. I drained the oil with the fill plug out.

First I leveled the car north/south and east/west and filled to spill. I did it just by the bottle level and concluded I got between 630-650ml in before spill. I'm not sure how the other chap got 1.1l in.

I am not suggesting either way. If you jack the car up from lhs only I would definitely measure. But I don't feel I have sufficient grounds, in good faith, to blame my mechanic (20-40mls can't be material)... although there is clearly something we did wrong at that point - no previous problems with diff.

Post #193091627th Mar 2018 10:46 pm
shanegtr

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Nodge68 wrote:
Over time heavier particles will sink to the bottom of the diff case. Lighter particles will remain in the oil. This is why the oil changes colour.

Heavier particles will be thrown back into the oil under operation again especially with diffs as theres a fair bit of oil churning going on when its spinning around.

Oil oxidation will also darken the oil. Engines will normally darken the oil from soot and combustion by products - gearboxes and diffs dont get that which is why they will stay clearer for longer

Post #193130629th Mar 2018 8:54 am
shanegtr

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

BrettKaz wrote:
I suffered a front diff leak about 7k kms after diff oil change by mechanic. I then found out he filled to spill ... I then told my mechanic (obliquely accusing him) that overfilling caused the diff seal failure. He insisted this was circa 610ml. I did diff breather mod at same time as oil change ... I read back through the instructions and still believe I did it properly ... angled cut pointing rear- breather pointing backwards.

I have been replacing front diff oil every couple of '000 kms to combat the leak but this time I thought I would fill to spill to check if this was different to 610mls. Using cheap stuff. I drained the oil with the fill plug out.

First I leveled the car north/south and east/west and filled to spill. I did it just by the bottle level and concluded I got between 630-650ml in before spill. I'm not sure how the other chap got 1.1l in.

I am not suggesting either way. If you jack the car up from lhs only I would definitely measure. But I don't feel I have sufficient grounds, in good faith, to blame my mechanic (20-40mls can't be material)... although there is clearly something we did wrong at that point - no previous problems with diff.

I found a similar thing the first time I did my diffs and transfer case - the difference between the measured amount and fill to spill was so small that I've just maintained filling to the "level" plug. Havent had any abnormal leaks - have had one rear diff RHS driveshaft leak but a new seal sorted that out. I put that leak down to fair wear and tear as it was done around 250,000km

Post #193131029th Mar 2018 8:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >