DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Diff Seals on Tesco Warranty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Solihull

2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Diff Seals on Tesco Warranty

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks to 10forCash for a great 4 yr service and for pointing out the front diff seals are kaput and leaking oil.

Secondly, has anyone here managed to get Tesco Finest Warranty to pay for replacing diff seals? I had a long conversation with them today and they said they will not cover it because the diff seals are replaced in situ, they only cover seals where a major part needs to be removed to replace the seals.

I asked the insurance person if they had ever allowed a claim for diff seals on a Disco where the diff had not been removed and he simply declined to comment. So maybe they have paid out on these in the past? In which case they should pay for mine as well.

Your help appreciated
 D4 HSE MY2013 Grey  
Post #60397115th Feb 2010 8:16 pm
The Large One

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Talk to MrH Thumbs Up
 TLO has left the building.......
I no longer work for a Landrover Dealer

My little chilli sauce business http://www.thechillees.co.uk
if you would like to order anything just give me a shout 

Post #60401015th Feb 2010 9:14 pm
Solihull

Cheers TLO Thumbs Up PM sent. If anyone else has experience of Tesco Warranty and Diff Seals, please let me know,
 D4 HSE MY2013 Grey  
Post #60404515th Feb 2010 9:48 pm
cobblers

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I have exactly the same issue. TFC also pointed me at an oil leak on my front diff last week.

After a conversation with Tesco I got the same speech, that the seal would only be covered if the removal of the diff was needed to fix it. They booked me in to a Nationwide service centre to get it looked at, but Nationwide rang and told me that they wouldn't be able to fix as it needed special tools. A bit of dilema to say the least.

I'm stuck with what to do at the moment, it seems pointless going to Nationwide. But Tesco claim it needs to be confirmed that the Diff needs removal before they will cover it.

Post #60563118th Feb 2010 1:50 pm
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've had a rear diff seal replaced under Tesco warranty.
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #60565218th Feb 2010 2:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cobblers

Thanks methley, did the Diff have to be removed to have the seal replaced, that appears to be the criteria?

Post #60566318th Feb 2010 2:52 pm
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Don't believe so. I think only the the prop shaft was disconnected to fit a seal kit.
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #60571018th Feb 2010 3:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cobblers

Many thanks for the info methley.

Solihull, I'd also be very interested in how this turns out for you. Please keep the thread updated. Likewise, anyone with experience of the seals on the front diff, it would be useful to understand how big a job this would be for a main dealer.

Cheers all

Post #60613319th Feb 2010 7:30 am
MrH

United Kingdom 

The pinion seal for the drive shaft went on mine, and Tesco paid for it to be done. They weren't to happy about it, but did pay up and it was done be a dealer not Nationwde or Halfords... as they are now called

Post #60616219th Feb 2010 9:41 am
Solihull

An interim update for you all. Firstly thanks to Mr H for a very quick and useful response.

$trat$tones had my car in Mon-Thurs. They reckon they did the track rod, ball joint and lower bush on Tuesday. Only the track rod is listed on the invoice. I will go back Monday to find out if they did the others.

I am no expert but it seams the front diff has 3 external seals. 2 output seals which are for the drive shafts and one input seal which comes from a shaft which may be connected to the gearbox. In my case the n/s output seal and the input seal were leaking. Turns out the input seal was leaking heavily and the diff was virtually out of oil, hence the whining I could hear when I delivered the car to the dealer on Monday. BTW my car is at 41k miles.

$trat$tones changed the output seal but the input seal turned out to be more problematic. They needed a special tool which took a day to turn up. The LR instructions say it should take 2.5 hours and be done in situ. Hence Tesco warranty did not agree to pay. But the job was not possible in this way and the dealer confirmed to me that they ended up removing the diff to do the job. The Invoice states the diff was removed. So I assume Tesco will now pay up when I send them the invoice .....

I have done 240 miles since and can confirm there is no whine and the seals do not seem to be leaking, but will check in the morning with a torch.

@Cobblers: I don't think this is a job for Nationwide, $trat$tones put an experienced tech onto my car to do it.
 D4 HSE MY2013 Grey  
Post #60715020th Feb 2010 11:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >