Difference between Goodyear Wranglers and Pirelli Zeros
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

simon wrote:
Gareth wrote:
The Synchrone is a more road biased 4x4 tyre than the Wrangler. It is OK off-road, and will perfectly adequate for my off-road requirements.

I put them on my D2 V8 and it was a lot quieter, and the mpg went up by 1 mpg (13 to 14) .

I have 4 tyres to be fitted on Saturday.

You'll have to give me your initial thoughts on them next week Smile

-s

You can have a road test!

Post #272049th Nov 2005 10:10 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Gareth wrote:
simon wrote:
Gareth wrote:
The Synchrone is a more road biased 4x4 tyre than the Wrangler. It is OK off-road, and will perfectly adequate for my off-road requirements.

I put them on my D2 V8 and it was a lot quieter, and the mpg went up by 1 mpg (13 to 14) .

I have 4 tyres to be fitted on Saturday.

You'll have to give me your initial thoughts on them next week Smile

-s

You can have a road test!

And again... cheers mate. Lets hope its dry then rains, snows and freezes hard before the mud slides hit the hill on the way to the pub... all in 4 miles Wink

Only issues I have with the Goodyear's is the noise when they wear.

Post #272069th Nov 2005 10:13 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Lets hope its dry then rains, snows and freezes hard before the mud slides hit the hill on the way to the pub... all in 4 miles

Jeez all I want is a few beers Shocked

Post #272479th Nov 2005 11:37 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Mine's running on Pirellis, now done 15k and looking about half worn.
Very slight uneven wear, dealer swapped tyres around at service - side to side not front to rear - not sure why.

They continue to be very quiet and smooth.

I'm also considering the Michelins next time round (hopefully longer life) but also noticed that there appear to be Continentals available, with claimed low resistance / noise. Anyone got any experience of these?
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #272519th Nov 2005 11:49 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Gareth wrote:
Quote:
Lets hope its dry then rains, snows and freezes hard before the mud slides hit the hill on the way to the pub... all in 4 miles

Jeez all I want is a few beers Shocked

Of course... was not being entirely serious Smile

Post #2725810th Nov 2005 9:40 am
Blue

I've just done 10000 Km on Pirellis and so far the road performance has been surprisingly very good (my previous car was a Polo Rolling Eyes ).

Only lately they're beginning to squeal more than they used to on corners, and I'm not driving faster.

On gravel, dirt, and rocks they're quite good, but in mud you must drive to keep it from sliding into outer space.
 Blue  
Post #2986625th Nov 2005 7:34 pm
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

At my dealer here in Bavaria I have seen Disco's with Pirelli Zero tyres and assumed that they were delivered that way from the factory. Can this be so?

As another aside to this topic, in a test of winter tyres in the 11/2005 issue of AutoBild allesAllrad the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow came out top as "balanced all-round talent with top performance on snow, excellent safety reserves for aquaplaning and short breaking distance but with increased rolling resistance". The Continental 4x4 WinterContact was just about as good. Presumably the Ice & Snow is a completely different tyre to the Zero.

However, with all the snow you have in Britain (Bavaria seems to have missed the latest dump, though the local ski areas are opening this weekend), thought this information might be of use Smile

Eric

Post #2992526th Nov 2005 9:16 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Just to throw something else into the mix..... all seven new, unregistered Disco3's at my local dealer were booted with Continetal's - sorry, to dark & cold to get details..... will attempt an expedition next week Wink

Post #2992626th Nov 2005 9:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Maxim

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Pirelli zero use in snow?

I received my D3 one week ago, fitted with Pirelli zero. On the site of Pirelli these tyres are very good for on- and off-road use but they don't mention snow or ice performance.

I go to ski in the french alps (Tignes) in februari, my dealer told me that fitting winter tyres for this would blame my D3. Can I go there with the P zero's w/o having chaines?

I only have to reach my hotel and hopefully get back Rolling Eyes . In the past I went there with a std Audi A6 and chains.
 TDV6 (Belgian) HSE '06  
Post #2993126th Nov 2005 10:21 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I've been led to believe that if the tyres are marked "M+S" (mud + snow) then they are legal to use in the Alps on the snow-covered roads without chains.

I don't know the exact spec on the P Zero's, but it's worth a check of the tyres themselves to see if they are marked M+S.

Oh, and welcome to DISCO3 Very Happy
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #2994226th Nov 2005 10:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
espri

I hadn't heard about the "M+S" regulation but, checking up, I found on the ADAC web site a page (in German), [url] http://www.adac.de/Search/SearchResult/RW_...okieValue= [/url] with an extensive description of the rules for winter driving in Alpine countries (strangely not including Germany).

Here is my translation of (part of) the section on Austria:

>>>>>
There is no general requirement to use winter tyres during the winter months. However, where in extreme snow conditions a road closed sign is in force, with the additional information "Excepting vehicles with winter equipment" ("Ausgenommen Fahrzeuge mit Winterausrüstung"), you may only continue when either snow chains or winter tyres (Radial) with a profile depth of at least 4mm are mounted. The winter tyres must be mounted on all wheels. When the restriction requiring "winter equipment" is not specified, tyres can also be used that have a profile depth less than 4mm. Snow chains may be fitted on summer tyres.

If a vehicle does not meet the specified requirements, this can lead to a fine and being banned from driving on the affected road.

Note that All-Year-Tyres are classified as winter tyres when they have a minimum profile depth of 4mm and are marked with M+S.

Snow chains are required wherever you see a round blue roadsign with snowchains on it.
<<<<<

...then comes a section about spiked tyres, which is probably of less interest to us

The regulations for the other Alpine countries vary a little from the Austrian rules. There is no special mention of M+S tyres in any of them. In France, for example, winter tyres are required for mountain roads; Maxim should also note that there may be a requirement for snow chains in force on some roads. Some countries have special exceptions for 4x4 vehicles. If anyone wants a translation of another section, let me know (my rates are very reasonable Laughing ).

So, it seems to me, that M+S tyres (with enough profile) can qualify (in Austria) as winter tyres but chains might still be essential in some places.

Eric

Post #2994527th Nov 2005 12:12 am
espri

A few further thoughts on snow chains.

Just this morning, the news on Austrian television reported that chains had been compulsory for a while on the Südautobahn, the motorway between Vienna and Graz and Klagenfurt (they admitted, though, that it hadn't helped; the road was blocked anyhow, presumably because many vehicles weren't suitably equipped).

The AA web site, [url] http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overs...pment.html [/url], says:
In winter authorities insist on wheel chains and/or winter tyres for many resorts and passes

So I suppose it means, you have to take chains, if you want to be 100% sure (well, 99%). However, probably you won't need them. It might be a good idea to ask at your destination, if there are any roads in the area, where a requirement for snow chains is likely. I have been carrying chains around in my car for the past sixteen years and never used them. Maybe they're like insurance Smile

At the moment, it is snowing quite heavily here. Although I really have work to do (like a tax return Crying or Very sad ), the ski slopes are rather tempting for this afternoon Laughing

Eric

Post #2995527th Nov 2005 10:01 am
Blue

My 19" came with Zero Scorpions, type V, not M+S. In Spain, when roads are blocked for cars without chains, you can only get by with the M+S.
 Blue  
Post #3012428th Nov 2005 10:38 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

18" Pirelli Scorpion Zero V speed rated M+S boots on mine
 The End  
Post #3012928th Nov 2005 10:46 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Have to report that the Michelin Synchrones were very good in the snow today. Plenty of grip for braking/accelerating. No nasty surprises.

Post #3013728th Nov 2005 11:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >