Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Both diffs failing at 54k miles??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
pherplexed

United States 2013 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackLR4
Both diffs failing at 54k miles??

Thanks to this forum, I knew the loud moaning noise I was hearing at highway speeds couldn't be good and more than likely meant a failing differential. Went into the shop this morning and just got the extra bad news: both the front and rear diffs are failing. Total bill: $3,400 USD and 3 days at the shop Big Cry

The only good news is my dealer offered to cover the cost of one of them to be fixed knocking my bill to $2,200. They felt bad that I was only 4k miles outside of warranty and never missed a service interval. Apparently, Land Rover isn't offering any goodwill out-of-warranty fixes to customers anymore, so the dealer has to eat it.

Seems a little early in the game for both diffs to fail. What would cause this to happen?
 2013 LR4 HSE lux | Santorini Black | 5.0 V8  
Post #67125213th Jul 2010 1:49 am
CMG

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Something to do with the breathers, not allowing enough "breathing", which leads to blown seals...then the fluid leaks so slowwwwwlllyyy that it's unnoticeable...and from there lack of lubrication kills them.... Shocked Smile
 17 Discovery 5 HSE Si6, Fuji White on brown | 07 LR3 SE 4.4 Java Black on Alpaca
Club V8/Club OCD

Post #67125313th Jul 2010 2:18 am
lurk

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Rear Diff Noisey ??

Had a comment on my last service schedule from the main stealer that the rear diff' was 'noisey' and likely caused by a failing bearing - £800 + - when I asked if they had topped up oil or even changed it - I got the normal ' don't be so foolish look'.... Confused Confused

How do you check, change or top up the diff' oil what grade ??? I nead to buy some time to save up ! Is there any means of checking the condition without total strip down. ? Sad Or does it just get loader (Now I can't currently hear anything or other people in the car ??
Any help much appreciated.

Regards
lurk.
 Why do I have 2 big hands when my D3 maintenance requires small hands and at least three of them ?  
Post #67285816th Jul 2010 9:26 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

check to see what the diff oil looks like. if the diff is fine then the oil should still be reasonably clear. if the oil has darkened or gone murky then there could be a leak possible via the half shaft seals. i have had both my front and rear seals changed after the developed a very small leak - when they were taken out they were very worn.

althought the rear locking diff is "sealed for life" - its life is only a life until it fails !!, so best to drain and refill anyway - it doesnt take long and instructions are around here somewhere.

have a look at these :

REAR DIFF
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...illing.pdf

FRONT DIFF
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...illing.pdf

costs about £16 per litre and you'll need just over a litre or nearer two if you let every drop drain out before refilling.
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #67286316th Jul 2010 9:31 pm
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

AFAIK LR haven't modified the diffs as the late model ones
are still failing
So you can expect the replacement ones
to fail again in the future.
 Pete  
Post #67289516th Jul 2010 10:54 pm
lurk

Rear Diff Oil Change and Noise

Thanks Disco Dunc ad Norto, not a cheery thought if this is going to be an ongoing problem.

What oil lube' would you recommend for the diff's ?

Thanks

Lurk
 Why do I have 2 big hands when my D3 maintenance requires small hands and at least three of them ?  
Post #67294017th Jul 2010 9:00 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

this thread goes through the process, with pics and oil type is pictured also Thumbs Up

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic32281.h...iff+%2Boil
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #67294417th Jul 2010 9:39 am
cdodkin

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Mmmmm, my new rear diff (replaced at 53,000) has just started leaking after 4 months and 10,000 miles Shocked

Being the sensitive type, I've been keeping a close eye on it - and noticed a light oil stain under the diff on the driveway this week.

Sure enough, just crawled under there to find the diff is wet underneath with a clear light oil Big Cry

Back to the stealership I guess - this is becomming a ****ing joke Censored
 08 LR3 SE V8 - 02 D2 SE7 V8
Porsche 911 (03 996) - 2013 MINI Cooper S 

Post #67573823rd Jul 2010 11:16 pm
lurk

Rear diff' Lube supplier ?

Anyone found a reliable and competitive supplier of the Castrol lube for the rear and front diff' am putting together the bits before starting the job. got the hex set and drip tray and measuring jug - just nead the oil and length of suitable pipe to pour it down 1
cheers
Lurk
Post #67585724th Jul 2010 1:08 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Rear diff' Lube supplier ?

Hi Lurk...........I got some from opie oils ....Castrol SAF-X0. although they did have a free delivery offer on at the time, and you get a discount as a forum / car club member. I bought 5 litres of the stuff, as my other car uses the same diff oil, it works out cheaper if you buy it in larger quantities, perhaps someone else needing some would chip in with you. Thumbs Up

Post #67586724th Jul 2010 1:57 pm
lurk

\castrol SAF XO Diff Oil

Thanks, checked out OPIE website and signed up - thought I would wait to order until I could check out my local supplier - but at £26 per ltr yes per litre I will go with web based OPIE and ship from Cornwall !! How's that work ??? Shocked
Am now looking at brake fluid - thought about adding to the Opie order but can't see the shell grade DOT4 ESl low Viscosity grade listed or another low viscosity grade listed. I can't even get a google hit on the Shell grade ? Given last winters 18 degrees below freezing temps' we got - I wouldn't want a brake problem due to fluid change so will search again and get the right stuff - any ideas on brake fluid options ?

regards

Lurk
Post #67645326th Jul 2010 10:35 am
cdodkin

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

LR3 back from the stealership - leaking left driveshaft seal on the new diff - replaced under the parts warranty on the new diff

They say they checked the lube level before pulling the seal, and it was still fine.

They also said they checked the breathers and found no issues.

New seal fitted, new lube installed - back on the road.

Guess I will continue to do my regular spot check on both diffs - just in case

They could provide no technical explanation as to why the seal would have failed - other than 'sh!t happens' Neutral

The only 'good' thing about this failure, is that it produced enough lube leakage to be noticeable, both on the ground, and then on the underside of the diff.

Better than a slowwwwww leak and eventual death I guess
 08 LR3 SE V8 - 02 D2 SE7 V8
Porsche 911 (03 996) - 2013 MINI Cooper S 

Post #67710827th Jul 2010 7:37 pm
lurk

Changed the oil this morning in the rear diff' thanks to the instructions it was pretty quick and easy - mine was the square drive plug - I now have another new bit in the tool box to go with the pristine set of hex drive bits purchased last week ! Very Happy
I'm thinking of weighing in the oil given the high quantity of sparkling bits in it - I drained 1.1 ltrs so not much leakage that I could see - will check in a couple of weeks then again end of the year.
The pipe trick worked a treat - I purchased 4ft of 3/8" braided hose which I could push the Castrol bottle spout into and then push the other end in to the fill port. Then squeeze, If I had had another bottle spare I would have put an air hole in the castrol bottle base and just let the new oil run .... your live and learn. Rolling Eyes

Rear Pads next job - will upgrade to redstuff see ebay note ! Then new brake fluid change - I nead to search for instructions on this ..... Sad
Thumbs Up Full marks to Opie Oil 48 hrs from order to receipt and a good price.
Thumbs Up thanks again for the write up and subsequent comments ref 3/8" sqr drive (I didn't have to measure it in the rain - Wink
Regards

Lurk
Post #67770929th Jul 2010 12:57 pm
MarkTaylor

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

My MY06 D3 V6 petrol spat out the front diff around 40,000 kilometres and the front diff at 66,000 kilometres. At the same time the auto box died.. AUD$10k for a rebuild. Covered by the aftermarket warranty company.

So.. after 2 diffs, 1 transmission, 3 air suspension compressors, 1 set of front ball joints, 1 horn, 1 ac servo motor, 1 windscreen, 1 tailgate door lock, 1 EPB unit and a short in the front fog light wiring.... I am starting to think that this is not a well built car. At 75,000k it now needs tie rod ends and lower control arm bushes that the warranty company won't cover... "normal wear and tear" they call it.

The car comes out of lease in December... so do I dump it and buy a cheap Korean offering with a 5 year warranty or do I pay out the lease and keep it for another 2 - 3 years in the hope that all my problems are behind me.

I guess the point I am making.. are these really poorly made cars.. or am I just unlucky? To have 2 diffs and a transmission fail on a so called "Premium Vehicle" (Land Rover's Description) in only 75,000 kilometres is simply appalling in my opinion.

Any comments, or experiences welcome.

Mark Taylor
Australia
 Nothing of any value is ever achieved without some sacrifice.  
Post #6785461st Aug 2010 7:10 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Which aftermarket warranty?

That is a lotof failures. Shocked

What happened with the transmission? Complte failure or torque converter?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #6785601st Aug 2010 8:56 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >