Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Digital Tacho - Vehicles 1st of May 2006 reg onward
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3
Digital Tacho - Vehicles 1st of May 2006 reg onward

For those of you that might use your D3 for towing for "hire and reward" ie towing a vehicle transporter.

The law stipulates that where a vehicle and its trailer is over 3.5t gross "train weight" but under 7.5 tons, you have to have a tacho. Similarly those vehicles registered after 1st May 2006 have to have a "digital" tacho and not an analogue one fitted.

As those in the know will already be aware, you cant fit a digital tacho to a D3. This long standing issue has been a source of some anx for LR, VOSA and tacho manufacturers, along with other vehicle manufactures selling similar across europe.

Here in the UK, VOSA have attempted to persuade both the present Goverment and The EU parliament for special exception for 4x4's from the fitting of a digital tacho by allowing a re-tro fit of an analogue one instead.
This request has fallen on death ears.

However, I am pleased to report that as of a Jan 08 memo from VOSA to its officers, owners of vehicles of this type, not fitted with the mandatory "digital" tacho due to its build, will still be able to use such vehicles in the interim so long as an "accurate record of drivers hours" are kept. Such records should be kept for inspection within the vehicle and for the statuatory period deemed necessary under the UK / EU Working Time Directives.

This is an interim solution and it is the responsibility of those concerned to ensure that the correct recording device is fitted as soon as the manufacturer has come up with a solution.

Yepee we can all go out and buy our D3 Commercials at long last Mr. Green Mr. Green

PS, waiting for a copy of this advice from me friendly VOSA compliance officer, so will post futher info shortly Thumbs Up

Post #29255927th Apr 2008 10:01 pm
jhunty

England 

I'd still be very careful on this one.
We were told by both VOSA inspectors and a tachograph calibration centre that this law was brought in for a reason and customers should not buy a new commercial vehicle after 1st May 06 that is non digital compatible if you are to be 'in scope' of driver hours. It is the vehicle owner that is responsible if it goes to court, not the manufacturer!
Also, you just have to get stopped by the wrong VOSA inspector and they will enforce the law as they interpret it.
Remember, VOSA aren't on your side and they are targeting such vehicles with a fine toothbrush at the moment.

It is probably why this law was brought into force as most manufacturers weren't ready for the change and to discourage small light commercial vehicles towing.
The tachograph calibration centre told me that there would probably never be a fix for non digital compatible vehicles because of the device that would have to be fitted contradicts with E.U. law.

Thanks.
Jhunty

Post #29265428th Apr 2008 9:03 am
J77

Scotland 
digital tacho

I am a bus driver and do intercity express routes, all coaches we have are fitted with digital tachos and they are a pain in the neck. you have to download the card regular or it over wrights itself, if the chip gets a little bit of dust on it, it won't work.

Post #29368030th Apr 2008 12:45 pm
Ken

You drive a bus Shocked

Feck I thought they were on autopilot Laughing

Post #29369630th Apr 2008 1:02 pm
J77

Scotland 

on the motorway they drive themselfs, put cruise control on and the bus goes up and down the gears itself all i have to do is brake and steer it.

Post #29370430th Apr 2008 1:08 pm
J77

Scotland 

I am a bus driver with a 4X4, a complete law into myself. Rolling with laughter

Post #29370730th Apr 2008 1:13 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

You could combine the two!!! Whistle Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Post #29371130th Apr 2008 1:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top