Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Digital Tachographs - Perhaps an end is in sight!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3
Digital Tachographs - Perhaps an end is in sight!!

Sorry if this does not apply to you Whistle

Had a look thru the spec for the new D4/RRS posted here on the forum, found out something interesting...

The law says that if a vehicle has a gross train weight (ie towing vehicle and trailer/laddened or unladdened) of more than 3500kg and is registered after 1st May 2006 and used for "hire and reward" the vehicle has to be fitted with a digital tachograph as oppose to an anologue one (paper circular sheet).

It has been rumoured for 2 years now that a solution was/is in the offering for LR's model beyond the current Defender (which has a ford transit engine etc).

In the write up and I quote:

8.15 Digital Tachographs
The European Commission have now approved for the use of a specific adaptor to assist in the installation of a Digital Tachograph where a signal cannot be taken directly from the transmission as previously specified.

The new Discovery 4 and 2010 Range Rover Sport will be compatible with the adaptor - if you have any customers who require a Digital Tachograph to be installed, please refer them to Continental VDO who have Service Partner Workshops located around the UK" End of quote.

Within the same blurb and I quote:

6.0. Transmissions

The upgraded ZF6HP28 Automatic Transmission is fitted as standard to 3.0 TDV6 and 5.0 SC derivatives (2.7TDV6 and TDV8 carry over existing gearboxes)

For the new Discovery 4, manual transmission is retained for the 2.7TDV6 as is the current AF6HP26 automatic transmission.

5.3 2.7 TDV6 EU4 engine (Discovery 4 only)

The 2.7TDV6 (EU4) engine continues for Discovery GS and Commercial derivaties only and remains to be the only version available with the 6 speed manual transmission. End of quote

So to recap, the future D4 will be available with the existing D3's 2.7TDV6 (EU4) engine with the existing 6 speed manual or auto box as a GS spec or commercial.

After speaking to tech help at VDO, the partner in development with LR, its been said that the "adaptor" uses the vehicles speedo rather than a need for a "sender" unit on the transmission (as is the problem at the moment).

So this got me thinking, if the new D4 Commercial and base spec GS has the same engine and gearbox as the current D3, it is a fairly safe assumption to feel that this "adpator" could be retro fitted to any D3 registered after 1st May 2006, a thought shared by the tech people at VDO.

As for the availablility of the hardware, the adaptor will not be available in the UK until July/August according to VDO (no doubt along side the launch of the new D4).

Watch this space, all we need is VOSA to turn round and say no to the adaptor Big Cry (which is now where I'm following up my enquiries).

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT MY THE 2.7TDV6 (EU4) CAME IN TO PRODUCTION? Thumbs Up

Editions since first posted:

Have now spoken to VDO head man, the approval has been granted by the EU and by consequence, VOSA.

The "adaption" is aimed at solving the problem of inability to fit a digital tacho to a number of makes/models etc and as far as the LR range is concerned is targeted towards the D3 D4 FFRR AND RRS and being able to be RETRO-FIITED TO ALL

Various manufacturers are "donating" test vehicles for the "adaption" including LR in order that the tacho unit can be located compliant with VOSA thinking, ie where the driver can physically reach it, with the main hardware being available for general release in July/August 2009.

So there we have, good times ahead.... umm which to choose, D3, RRS or FFRR Ner Ner

Last edited by character on 8th May 2009 7:22 pm. Edited 6 times in total 
Post #4643618th May 2009 1:42 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

07MY, 7A chassis Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #4643688th May 2009 1:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
character

thanks for that, so that means an ex-highways 57 plate is in the running for me next d3 Thumbs Up

Post #4643788th May 2009 2:22 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mathew, would that not now pose a problem for you though. I, as a HGV driver have to keep an eye on my hours with daily and weekly, and fortnightly rest periods. Now for you, who uses your motor as a work vehicle and private use, and if was to get a D4 with a digicard would this not include ALL hours now, given the fact that whether you have the card in or not it STILL records and prints if no card is in.

I say this because, if you are driving a vehicle under Tacho law, then the driver must adhere to it, and your daily/weekly/fortnightly hours MUST include commuting to and from your workplace.

Digitacho's also store the previous 28 days in the machine and on your card, and at a guess would you not need other drivers of the vehicle in your family to have a card.

On top of that, at the moment you just need to keep you paper disc's for a qualifying period before eventually schreding them, with the digicard and a business owner you need to have the download equipment, on once a month download them onto the pc. This is where they get you TBH, cos the slightest infringment and you can be caught out. A few drivers with my firm have been caught this way, VOSA access the system files and caught a few for speeding, cos the pc will highlight the infringments.

Big Bro is watching Big Cry

Post #4643798th May 2009 2:24 pm
character

I take your point, the reality is that I would keep the work car as a work car with a view to getting a VAT qualifying ex-highways, converting it to a "commercial" which is what I wanted prior to the learning about the tacho.

I'm going to have to update my vehicle anyway if only due to the asthetics/impression of turning up with a modernish version of a 4X4 so whether I like it or not, digital tacho ere I come!!

As for commuting to and from work, I fall out of me front door and there we are, we're at work!!! Rolling with laughter

Post #4643968th May 2009 2:45 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mathew, lucky Censored er, I have a 115min commute in the morning, and seriously damages my working week. Big Cry , capping my earnings Big Cry

Post #4644028th May 2009 2:59 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

character wrote:
thanks for that, so that means an ex-highways 57 plate is in the running for me next d3 Thumbs Up

Or treat yourself to a new all singing all dancing D4 HSE???

Post #4644258th May 2009 3:30 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Digital Tachographs - Perhaps an end is in sight!!

character wrote:
After speaking to tech help at VDO, the partner in development with LR, its been said that the "adaptor" uses the vehicles speedo rather than a need for a "sender" unit on the transmission (as is the problem at the moment).

Matthew, Seems to me that you would need the newer speedo then as well? I'm assuming this as the dash layout on the D4 is updated, and it is the speedo that this new digital tacho is connected to, which makes the engine irrelevant, but the speedo relevant......

Just a thought before you go buying an MY07..... Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #4644448th May 2009 4:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
character

editors additions now completed... good times ahead Thumbs Up

Post #4645548th May 2009 7:13 pm
character

Bodsy, seems not, as can be retro-fitted to see quite a number of vehicle types and ages. Good times ahead for all of us, not just the previliged few Thumbs Up

Post #4645568th May 2009 7:17 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

character wrote:

So there we have, good times ahead.... umm which to choose, D3, RRS or FFRR Ner Ner

You forgot one Whistle

FFRR(V)

Laughing Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #4645608th May 2009 7:21 pm
character

DSL wrote:
character wrote:

Or treat yourself to a new all singing all dancing D4 HSE???
economically not justified, can buy three non ex-highways for the same price as one D4 HSE, can buy 4.5 D3's ex-highways for the same money!!!

Will be able to change mine every 12-24 months in line with HA changeovers, run them and still come out financially on top by offsetting 25% each year against tax, vehicles predicted value to be around 65% of its original purchase price based upon current thinking Thumbs Up

Post #4645668th May 2009 7:27 pm
character

SJR wrote:
character wrote:

You forgot one Whistle

FFRR(V)

Laughing Thumbs Up

what's the V for Shocked

Post #4645698th May 2009 7:29 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

See here Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #4645808th May 2009 7:36 pm
Renny

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

I think the "V" is for Van, a la JMC.
 Renny Thomson
aka Scottish Scrutineer or MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer 

Post #4645828th May 2009 7:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to: