Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Disappointed from Durham
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DirtyDisco

2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Disappointed from Durham

My D3 is getting towards three years old and so I have been looking into the D4. Today I drove one. Good engine, nice dash and leather, exterior is growing on me but I think I prefer the D3 if I'm honest, and the drive is the same other than the engine pulling better. But...

47k plus options !!! no discounts to be had.

No separate rear climate control, not even as an option (my Labrador is not happy!)

No fridge.. (£220 option)

Some plastics are inferior to the D3

Order now, delivery March!!!!

Sat Nav no better than D3 (poor)

No 6 disc changer anymore.

The list would I am sure go on...

Is it just me or am I better finding a nearly new D3, or shall I spend the money on a nice new M3.

Cheers
 Serial Depreciation Victim

07 D3 TDV6 HSE. Side Steps. Privacy. TV. Stornoway + Alpaca. 

Post #5474087th Nov 2009 6:12 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Re: Disappointed from Durham

DirtyDisco wrote:

47k plus options !!! no discounts to be had.

drive the deal will give £3.5k discount on a new D4 HSE

DirtyDisco wrote:

No 6 disc changer anymore.

technology has moved on, 6 disc changers are out and ipod integration is in. It s pretty much the same with all premium brands

Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #5474117th Nov 2009 6:19 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Do not need a six disc changer, put all and more on one flash drive Thumbs Up Drive it for anytime and it is a lot nicer to drive than D3, believe me it groooooooooows on you Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green go on order it you know you want to Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #5475467th Nov 2009 10:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ELD70

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have to agree, the D4 is a big improvement engine, interior and suspension control wise but did it make me think "wow I want one", the answer is no.
The D3 especially in high trim levels is a fantastic car in its own right, and personally I find the existing dashboard not surrounding you gives you a feeling of space.
The D4 will be a big seller as it smoothes off the rough corners and makes it appeal to a much broader market.
Two great cars but if you own a D3 I personally cannot see the justification for the cost of the change as a private buyer.

Just my two penneth for what its worth.
 Now driving BMW 330d Touring....misses D3...but not when at traffic lights Smile  
Post #5476688th Nov 2009 12:35 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

There are still a few unregistered D3's around the dealer network which you could buy at a very big discount. Lloyds in Carlisle had one in the showroom (stornoway which looked very 8) ) and the price was just over £30k for a highish spec vehicle with extras. Not sure they still have that but I bet some dealers will. Or sell your privately and buy a vehicle from someone on this forum who are trading up to a D4 and being offered low £20's for their HSE tradein.

We did make the move up to a D4 and it was really silly money to do so. But afraid we are such a sad bunch of Land Rover fans that we simply couldn't resist the call of a "new" model. And the D4 has been a complete delight to drive. My daily drive is a RRS TDv8 and I confess I was rarely offering to drive the D3. Now I would very happily drive the D4 anywhere and anytime. It does corners, hills, overtaking so much better than the D3 and cossets its passengers really well. Yet it has lost none of those fantastic qualities that make the Disco such a superb all rounder.

We thought we might miss the rear air, the fridge and 6xCD (and worry about the posh interior) but actually we don't. Whilst we had rear air before I actually cant remember needing it, and the new aircon system in the D4 is streets ahead in its ability to actually control the vehicles interior temperature (mind you it hasn't been anywhere really hot yet !), the fridge was never pushed into service before, the ipod permamnent attached and controllable from the screen is a leap forward. And as for the interior, we just made a decision that this was a vehicle to be used (not abused but certainly not treated as precious) and no matter what we have done with luggage, kids, dogs and bags of logs so far, the interior has shrugged it off.

But is that all worth the £10k extra. It is to us, but I can 100% see why others would not see it that way.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #5477298th Nov 2009 9:34 am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

What Smarticus said x 2.

I'll leave the FFRR Vogue SE behind now and take the D4. The interior is a great place to be and it drives so much better than a D3 in every way. 6 CD who needs it? Stick the music on a USB drive with some sensible file management and there will be space enough for hours of your favorite tunes that you browse much faster than the ker-dunk of the changer cycling through the discs.

Sure it seems expensive but back in 2004 when I ordered my D3SE I thought that £38K was a lot. The D3 was cutting edge and it's bluff exterior and utility plastic interior WAS interesting, attractive and exciting, ut it's been left behind now.
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #5478728th Nov 2009 6:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Has anybody driven a brand new D3 and a D4 back to back. My own car has done 50k miles and it isn't anywhere near as tight as it was from new.

I would be interested to see how much of the suspension has really changed.

Post #5478798th Nov 2009 7:21 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

What Smarticus said x 3.

We were looking at new or nearly new D3's of the HSE spec. Looked at loads of dealers and had some good offers. However we were offred much better deals on a D4 and with the two years 0% finance it actually worked out better to get the D4, on top of that got some goodies thrown in, cameras aand heated steering wheel.
I have had it two weeks now and there is no comparison with the D3, it is smoother, corners better, the performance is very very good and I love it Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Mr. Green Mr. Green
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #5479798th Nov 2009 9:46 pm
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Drive a D4 HSE with 20inch wheels

Ride quality is a problem with 20inch wheels in my opinion. Seats better but still prefer D3 overall, and not a fan of auto box. 3.0L with manual please!

Post #5481659th Nov 2009 12:26 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

We got 20" wheels with our D4 but its what the dealer already had. Didn't want them as I feared they would affect the ride. Thankfully they dont. Our local roads are potholed, barely tarmaced, frequently flooded and so narrow that a detour onto the verge is a daily need. I have been surprised and well pleased that the 20" handle these conditions just fine with no harshness or drama at all.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #5482079th Nov 2009 9:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >