Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Disco 3 S
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
ferrett

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4
Disco 3 S

I am thinking of buying a Disco 3 but cannot decide on the model. Does the S version come with the LCD screen in the centre of the dash or is that reserved for higher specs? Is the screen linked to the Terrain Response?

Thanks in advance Very Happy

Post #3756615th Jan 2006 6:50 pm
Jenko

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
disco 3 S

Lcd screen comes as standard in the SE and above, but the gap is snug for a Tom Tom though which is of course portable - depends what you have on your req. list - you will not be dissappointed with an S and you will have the xtra cash in your wallet!!

Post #3757015th Jan 2006 7:09 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Ferret, we have a TDv6 S 2005 model year. There is the same screen on the dashboard beneath the speedo and rev counter that features on all other versions and this does show terrain response settings plus limited offroad info (like direction of tyres etc). There is no screen in the centre console (above the radio) as there is no sat nav. Having said that the space that is left there is actually very useful indeed.

We also have an HSE RRS and I confess to thinking that all of the extra toys that come with the higher specs are frankly a complete waste of money. The sat nav is rubbish, the electric seats take longer to adjust than manually, the voice recognition doesn't work, the bigger wheels make the ride harsher etc etc.

The cloth seats in the S aren't brilliant and it does seem ridiculous to pay £35k for a car and only get cloth seats. However we find the seats perfectly adequate although I believe other owners (particularly BN) have complained that the cloth seats are uncomfortable. Rather unusually I find the fancy leather seats in the RRS very uncomfortable after a couple of hours (I feel as if I have been kicked in the kidneys) so I suspect that I must be an unusual shape Shocked

If I was going to buy another D3 (and I most certainly would if we didn't have one already) I would get an S spec everytime. The only extras I would buy would be the PTI (brilliant using phone on bluetooth) and removeable tow bar. As for colour, we are delighted with the Tonga Green and Alpacca interior, it suits the vehicle perfectly. Oh and I am also a huge fan of the auto box in this car - it is simply superb and compliments the easy driving, comfortable ride set up perfectly.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #3757315th Jan 2006 7:19 pm
MVS

I would agree that 's' spec is a good compromise on price/ spec. The extras I would spec would be
1. xenons
2. auto box
3. roof rails
4. tow pack
5. mud flaps & rubber mat set!
Save several thou by buying a tomtom one and get LR seat covers if you want easy wipe down surfaces. They are warmer to sit on and not as slippy as leather as on 'se' and above if not as posh or cumfy or have lots of flash electric motors.

Post #3758515th Jan 2006 8:32 pm
ferrett

Disco 3 S

Thanks for the prompt replys. I was unsure about the LCD in the centre console but that has cleared things up.

I had already thought about a portable SatNav because of the cost savings.

Cheers

Ferrett

No D3 yet Smile

Post #3758815th Jan 2006 8:43 pm
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Off Topic observation, but without the centre sat nav screen, you have the ideal fuel usage monitor.... If all the stuff you shove in the hole decides to fly around the cabin, you used too much juice to pull away !!
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #3759215th Jan 2006 9:06 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have an S and and along with a few other options added Premium SatNav on, must disagree with you there Smarticus, I think it's brilliant and have no issues at all with the voice control (perhaps your voice isn't upmarket enough for the RRS Wink )

Ferrett (welcome to the site Thumbs Up ), are you thinking of buying new or secondhand? If new get an S and add on any options you require then you'll have your ideal vehicle. I'd recommend taking one for a very long test drive though, as mentioned above the seats aren't the best thing in the world and some people (myself included) do have problems with them, but others don't.
If you're buying secondhand you have to take what you can get but make sure you know what the spec should be, there are a few misbadged base models out there that we've seen a few sellers try and pass off as S spec

Si
 The End  
Post #3759815th Jan 2006 9:34 pm
SN

Similar to the 'Best HSE price' thread - what have people paid / or had quotes for, for a TDV6 S, Auto preferably ?

My first real quote has been £32600 (inc. power fold mirrors)
I am waiting/looking for more...
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #3763115th Jan 2006 11:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I've bought an HSE, but am really pleased with the phone pti stuff, and the sat nav. Voice control works brilliantly (once the voice is on the uk lady not the posh uk bloke which comes from the american settings).

I've gone from a tomtom pda setup to the premium sat nav and think it is just as good, the only lost flexibility is to download your own poi's to the device.

In terms of price, I emailed all the uk dealers towards the end of dec and got two good prices, a lot about the same, and a half dozen list price responses.

Someone told me that it is best to do this towards the end of a quarter when they are trying to get their numbers up, and there are some surprisingly good discounts to be had if they want to sell one more car to make up their quota for a big bonus.

Post #3764216th Jan 2006 12:23 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jads777

Guernsey 

Hi Ferrett. Are you thinking of buying locally or importing? I think the local dealer isn't exactly popular at the moment Wink

Post #3764416th Jan 2006 12:34 am
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Broadspeed are doing S auto's for £30800 (or close) all UK cars from main dealers.
Would be plus metalic and tax I would think.

I got an even better price than this from my dealer but it's a very long story Confused
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #3765016th Jan 2006 8:29 am
ferrett

Jads777 wrote:
Hi Ferrett. Are you thinking of buying locally or importing? I think the local dealer isn't exactly popular at the moment Wink

Not sure at the moment. I have taken the brochure and prices from the dealer and also looked on the Intrenet (including France).

However prices appear cheaper in France until you start comparing specs, a UK S is not the same as a French S - you need to add about £4000 worth of extras to the French model just to bring it up to UK spec. One major item is Air Suspension (1800 euros).

Some good deals through Broadspeed and Alliance Car Imports on the Internet. Anyone had any dealings with either before?

Your correct Jads777, the local dealer is not popular at the moment, but I think that has more to do with the amount of franchises that they hold and the cost of servicing across all those franchises. They are taking a lot of bad press at the moment. Though I must say the salesman that we have spoken with was extrememly helpful and that all helps the dealer in the long run.

Post #3765216th Jan 2006 8:47 am
Pelyma

England 

Trouble with putting extras on is they don't really increase the value at resale if you change reasonably regularly. It says S on the back so its the same as an S despite you having spent a few grand on extras. That was my motivation behind buying an HSE, I wanted leather as it is IMO more practical than cloth so I was stuck with SE or HSE, I also wanted metallic and an auto which added £2K onto the cost - soI went the whole hog Laughing
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #3765616th Jan 2006 9:29 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

Hi Ferret

I got a superb deal from my local dealer, the sales guy bent over backwards to help me all the way from order to delivery. Can't praise them enough. I got a TDV6 Base-7 with metallic, privacy glass and 19" wheels for £26500 OTR. The only thing different to the 'S' was Cruise Control, heated windscreen, front fogs and PDC, none of which were crucial to me and certainly not worth the extra £4k IMHO.

(by the way the dealer was Farnell Landrover Bradford, can give you the salesman's name/number if you PM)
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #3765916th Jan 2006 10:10 am
tucker_j

England 

Pelyma wrote:
I wanted leather as it is IMO more practical than cloth so I was stuck with SE or HSE

I wanted leather but didn't want to pay SE prices as on my 'must have list' was;

rear diff
tow pack
Metallic

And it was pushing the price to a point that my wife would not allow and I could not justify in any case.

My S has after-market leather seats, which the dealer had done. I believe they cost about £1,500. So you can have an S (Car of the Year 2005!) with leather after all. And a TomTom or Mio is much cheaper than Landy Nav - plus it works in any vehicle !

I prefer to have the console space for my phone, bits and pieces, and PIES!

Post #3777416th Jan 2006 8:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >