Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Disco 3 Safari Snorkel Install
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reddahaydn

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I finally got around to installing a Safari Snorkel on the weekend, and for anyone contemplating it, here is a write up of what's involved.

Safari give pretty good instructions, here is a link to their instructions (thanks winaje)

https://app.box.com/d3safarisnorkelinstructions

First of all you will need the following items

Sikaflex 227 (sikaflex automotive is the same - polyurethane (not silicon), so air flow meter safe)
3 or 4 No. 5mm Cobalt drill bits suitable for high strength steel
1 No. 6mm normal drill bit
4-25mm step drill bit
rivet gun
drill
dremel (don't get the air hacksaw, the dremel is heaps better)
5 or so dremel cutting discs
Car trim tool kit to get the plastic plugs out (can get them off ebay for $20 - i used a modified fork, but have since purchased a kit)
screw drivers
socket set
ratchet ring spanners (pretty important)
tape
file
paint

These are the parts that come in the kit

The following instructions should be read in conjunction with safari's instructions

First thing to do is remove the inner wheel lining. first, take off the mudflap.
I did this in offroad height with LLAMS wound right up. don't stick your head in the guard unless you have stands under the car.

As above, I used a modified fork to remove the plastic plugs, and a phillips head screw driver.

then removed flare, this has a screw at the front that can't be undone, so i just unclipped it and left it hanging

Next u reached in and popped the bottom two clips from the guard vent, and then pulled it out.

Then to remove the airbox, undo all the screws and take the top off, unplug air flow sensor, and stuff a rag in the engine inlet pipe. the bottom of the airbox just pulls out.

2007 Disco 3 2.7 TDV6
LLAMS / 265/65/18 BFG ATs / Safari Snorkel / Spare wheel carrier / 100L Long range tank / Traxide SC40 dual battery isolator / Optima Yellow Top / Autologic Remap / Front Runner Slimline II Roof Rack / Cross drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads / Front Runner drawers / UHF / Rasta front skid plate / Waeco CF50 / Mitch Hitch / Tint / Parrot MKi9200 Bluetooth Phone & Audio 

Last edited by Reddahaydn on 29th Apr 2015 7:52 am. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #146548929th Apr 2015 4:54 am
Reddahaydn

There is a couple of holes in the bottom of the airbox, I sealed them with sikaflex 227

Next remove the factory sock and connection to the airbox.

Then tape the guard template on, mark and punch the holes, drill pilot holes using a 3mm bit. then using the step drill bit drill them out. Safari instructions say drill 2 of them to 16mm and 3 to 14mm (for tolerance). I drilled all of mine to 12mm. clean up the holes and give the bare metal some paint.

Now remove the plastic cover panel on the front A pillar.
install the template, mark and punch the holes.
This is a pain in the ass. The first skin is easy to drill through. the second skin takes ages. Use the 5mm cobalt drill bits and the side handle on the drill, and just keep going. don't go too fast as you don't want to heat up and harden the steel, but don't go to slow cuz it takes ages. i changed drill bits every 2 holes. don't know if it helped or not.

Put some rags down, and I used tape as a barrier to try and catch all the drill filings. make sure you clean them all up. i came out the next morning to some brown rust marks from a few that i missed.
Once the holes are drilled, give them a paint.

Next to cut the hole in the inner guard, i tried and air hacksaw as per the instructions but it was crap. dremel cut heaps better and was easier to manouvre.
Don't bend the blades trying to cut in a arc, they will break.
Then its cut out and cleaned up, give it a paint as well.

2007 Disco 3 2.7 TDV6
LLAMS / 265/65/18 BFG ATs / Safari Snorkel / Spare wheel carrier / 100L Long range tank / Traxide SC40 dual battery isolator / Optima Yellow Top / Autologic Remap / Front Runner Slimline II Roof Rack / Cross drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads / Front Runner drawers / UHF / Rasta front skid plate / Waeco CF50 / Mitch Hitch / Tint / Parrot MKi9200 Bluetooth Phone & Audio 

Post #146549029th Apr 2015 5:04 am
Reddahaydn

Next was to install the A pillar bracket. Put a bit of sikaflex on the back.
As mentioned, get polyurethane sealant, not silicon based.

Put it in place, put some sikaflex on the back of the rivets and put them in the holes. best to do a trial run with the rivets to make sure they all fit, before putting sikaflex on anything!!!!
a bit of spit, WD40 or water with detergant on your finger will allow you to smooth the edges without it sticking to your hands.
prep wash and a rag will get wet sikaflex off metal.

Be vary careful, i know a bloke who was hitting the rivets in with a hammer and slipped and cracked his windscreen, cost him $1200!
Make sure when you are doing the riveting that the rivet gun doesn't jump back and hit the windscreen either.

Next put the template on the plastic A pillar trip, drill two 6mm holes and cut between them with the dremel. give it a file and put it back on the A pillar over the mounting bracket.

Now your paint should be dry so you can install the plastic 90 degree bend. push the flexy hose through the guard, rotating clockwise, then put the hose clamp on it and push on the bend.
drill the three holes and pop rivet in place.

I sikaflexed the foam spaced to the plastic 90 degree bend.

Now it's time to trial fit your airbox. mine too quite a bit of pushing to get it to fit. (which is good, nice tight fit!)
I didn't seal the back of mine like the instructions said, i sealed it from the inside so i can cut it out if i ever need to remove the airbox again.

This hole i sealed from the bottom. possibly didnt need it, when the engine is running the sucking air should close it and seal it, but i wasn't taking any chances.

2007 Disco 3 2.7 TDV6

Last edited by Reddahaydn on 29th Apr 2015 5:35 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #146549129th Apr 2015 5:19 am
miko666

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Russian language course booked, i should be able to install one in about 2 - 3 years Very Happy Very Happy .

Great write up and really good pictures Bow down Bow down

Post #146549429th Apr 2015 5:29 am
Reddahaydn

Now to install the the snorkel body, this is a pain in the neck.
Do the hose clamp up loosely from the outside, then position the snorkel, get one or two bolts started, then do the hose clamp up from within the guard.

make sure you have ratchet ring spanners. i used a socket for the two front bolts and a ring spanner for the rest. the top bolt took ages, its like the designed these assuming monkeys or children were going to be installing them!!!

Put the head on, do the bolts up to the A pillar mounting bracket, check the bonnet opens, and then tighten all the bolts in the guard.

Then to put it back together, make sure you tape the top hole in the wheel arch before installing the wheel arch lining. Don't re-install the top clip (it will rub on the flexy hose).

Stand back, crack a beer and admire your work!

2007 Disco 3 2.7 TDV6

Post #146549529th Apr 2015 5:32 am
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Nice write up Bow down Thumbs Up
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #146550229th Apr 2015 6:37 am
winaje

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

English instructions here:

https://app.box.com/d3safarisnorkelinstructions
 Regards, Will Church  
Post #146551929th Apr 2015 7:42 am
Reddahaydn

Cheers

Thanks mate, original post modified to give the english link!! Smile
 2007 Disco 3 2.7 TDV6

Post #146552629th Apr 2015 7:53 am
A.J.M

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Bought a Safari snorkel yesterday.

This guide will be a great help for me and the responsible adults who will be supervising me and my efforts.

Laughing Laughing

Post #15749779th Dec 2015 8:06 pm
Biker Pete

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Great write up for a job I have planned sometime in the future, thanks Thumbs Up

How long did it take to install?

Post #15750729th Dec 2015 9:52 pm
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Took me an afternoon to do mine, the Censored as mentioned above is drilling the A pillar and tightening the top nut, I used a wife for the latter she has long fingered, slender hands.
[img]

Bill
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #15750819th Dec 2015 10:03 pm
G7jtk

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

When I installed my snorkel I removed the small bulkhead in the inner wing by drilling out the spot welds.
This allows the fitting of the elbow with its jubilee clip without making the hole bigger and still cutting part of the bulkhead out.

Post #157626812th Dec 2015 8:18 am
Reddahaydn

disco3 snorkel install

Hey Fellas,

Took me a few hours Saturday and a Sunday afternoon, with a few trips to get bits and pieces that I didn't have.

Censored if I know how the shop can charge 3-4 hours labour for it, but in hindsight, I reckon I'd cut the time in half with all the right tools and having done it before now.

Hopefully this guide would shave it back to say 6 or so hours for you if your mid level hands on.
 2007 Disco 3 2.7 TDV6

Post #157681613th Dec 2015 10:32 am
davidedwardmawer

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Great post. Only saw it after I had finished. I referred to an online two part video.

My contribution:

Snapped four cobalt drill bits on the hardened A-pillar .......might be best to use a new bit for each hole £££££, for pilot holes too ££££.

Worth removing the inner wheel lining completely - I didn't and it hurts! Ratchet spanners a must for tightening nuts on outer wing.

Also used an 86mm dia bell cutter on the inner wing - worked a treat. Room for the drill.

Dremmel good for sanding burs and sharp bits.

Used alternative Loctite product for windscreen fixing on the A-pillar plate.

Fitted a large Donaldson Topspin pre-filter.

Moved top of air box aside without having to disconnect (air mass meter?) plug. Sure those connectors are ready to break. Sealed holes in bottom of air box with silicone. Used plastic bottle cap as filler for larger vent, plus silicone.

Used silicone sealant to seal external A-pillar cover.
 33370 Fargues Saint Hilaire 

Last edited by davidedwardmawer on 24th May 2016 6:05 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #165908924th May 2016 5:32 pm
clarkritchie

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

Looks good, and great write up!

Post #165909924th May 2016 5:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >