DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Disco 3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Will Hay

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Andrew Hebron wrote:
mikeyt wrote:
Ok, youre slowly wiping the smile off my face but it was good while it lasted, so the readout is telling porkies then

Not so fast chaps! Like me, Mikey is driving a manual, which LR reckons to be ~15% more fuel efficient than an auto.

My recent trip from London to Pickering averaged 33MPG including some crawling in tailbacks and quite a lot of not very efficient 85~90MPH cruising. Using the LR 15% rule, I guess the equivalent trip in an auto would be ~28MPG? Does that sound right, auto people?

Mikey - If you reset the computer while on the M-way and were cruising between 60-70 - i.e. only measuring in the most efficient band - then 41MPG is possible (albeit not sustainable over a decent sample). Around town 22-24MPG is consistent with what I see.

When I came back from Coventry in what turned about to be a stolen D3 I tried every concevable trick to get the maximum return in MPG.
I was driving back to Leeds on the M1 late at night, generally circa. 65mph and reset the computer many times and I got nowhere near 41mpg.
I seem to remember 35mpg at one point over a mile or two, mostly downhill, but generally just under 30mpg.
The one I was drving was a 2005 plate SE manual in silver with 51k on the closk so I just can't see circa. 40mpg as being realistic.

Smile

Post #7269096th Dec 2010 3:52 pm
hensoni

United Kingdom 

Quote:
so the readout is telling porkies then

If you manage to get 720 miles to a tank of dino juice, we'll all be very interested in your driving style. Long term average for manuals appears to be early 30s.

It's also worth noting that your FBH should be running continuously (consuming 150ml per hour on tick-over) and this doesn't show in your mpg readout. During the summer months, my readout is pretty accurate, but less so since the FBH started working. The tank contents gauge gives the game away Big Cry
 Club missing my D3  
Post #7269596th Dec 2010 5:00 pm
Andrew Hebron

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

hensoni wrote:
If you manage to get 720 miles to a tank of dino juice, we'll all be very interested in your driving style.

Obviously not; this can only be realistic on a short sample when cruising in 6th.

hensoni wrote:
Long term average for manuals appears to be early 30s.

Exactly...so if the lower end to achieve an Urban average of 23MPG is what...15MPG? then what is the extreme upper end of the scale at, say 60 in 6th?

Will Hay wrote:
...I tried every concevable trick to get the maximum return in MPG...and I got nowhere near 41mpg.

Not trying hard enough. If you really want to get a ridiculous number, reset at 60MPH in 6th (preferably downhill & with a tail wind)...you can get a truly meaningless 60+MPG (briefly) if you try hard enough.
 Andrew  
Post #7269676th Dec 2010 5:18 pm
mikeyt

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

To Will Hay,

Mikey - If you reset the computer while on the M-way and were cruising between 60-70 - i.e. only measuring in the most efficient band - then 41MPG is possible (albeit not sustainable over a decent sample). Around town 22-24MPG is consistent with what I see.

Yes thats exactly what I did and if the car should return 30ish then I will be VERY happy with that also

Post #7270346th Dec 2010 7:51 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

bp wrote:
Shocked 41mpg is v impressive I would have to push mine to get anywhere close to that Laughing

now THAT, I'd like to see... Wink
 one wife.......livid  
Post #7270586th Dec 2010 8:29 pm
Will Hay

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Quote:
Not trying hard enough. If you really want to get a ridiculous number, reset at 60MPH in 6th (preferably downhill & with a tail wind)...you can get a truly meaningless 60+MPG (briefly) if you try hard enough.

My bad, I was trying hard for the maximum realistic figure.
I once had the readout give me 764mpg in the A6 but figured that was for the brief second I sucked in my gut and held my breath whilst simultaneously kicking my wife and children out of the vehicle at 56mph Thumbs Up

Anyway, I only offered my personal experience as I thought the OP had suggested an average of 41mpg on a 115 mile trip on the M6/M42 Whistle

Post #7270646th Dec 2010 8:42 pm
lurk

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

For my 2 euro's worth...

Travelling from La Rochelle France back to Buxton in the High Peak - I clocked the read out at a peak of 39.9 mpg about 250 miles into the trip (I wanted to see if it would top the 40mpg) - I had a long line of slightly irritable drivers behind - as I was doing a steady 55mph to 60mpg on the 'B' type roads, when I reached the UK and M1 after a late crossing on the tunnel the reading was 39mpg - by Buxton this had dropped to 38mpg.

I was unloaded (forgot the wine !) and driving in 'slippers' - no cruise control and trying my best.

I'm still stunned - even if it is 10% adrift - thats still not bad for an auto - 2.7mt brick over an 800 mile trip.
Around the sticks I usually get 33 mpg.

JTYLTK

Lurk Thumbs Up
 Why do I have 2 big hands when my D3 maintenance requires small hands and at least three of them ?  
Post #7270696th Dec 2010 8:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >